Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous Atheist's Last Words

Thanks

Default Famous Atheist's Last Words

Last words of atheists

M.F. Rich: "Terrible horrors hang over my soul! I have given my immortality for gold; and its weight sinks me into a hopeless, helpless Hell!"

Thomas Paine
    "I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. O Lord, help me! Christ, help me! . . No, don't leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one."

Sir Thomas Scott: "Until this moment, I thought there was neither God nor hell; now I know and feel that there are both, and I am doomed to perdition by the just judgment of the Almighty!"

Sir Francis Newport,the head of an English infidel club: "You need not tell me there is no God for I know there is one, and that I am in His presence! You need not tell me there is no hell. I feel myself already slipping. Wretches, cease your idle talk about there being hope for me! I know I am lost forever! Oh, that fire! Oh, the insufferable pangs of hell!"

http://www.darkfiber.com/atheisms/atheisms/deathwd.html
    The last words of the atheist Mirabeau: "My sufferings are intolerable; I have within me a hundred years of life but not a moment's courage. Give me more laudanum that I may not think of eternity."

Gibbon, the historian, a skeptic: "The present is a fleeting moment, the past is no more, and my prospect of futurity is dark and doubtful."
    http://www.southside-churchofchrist.com ... stwrds.htm - Jarrod Jacobs

Caesar Borgia: --- "While I lived, I provided for everything but death; now I must die, and am unprepared to die."

Thomas Hobbs: --- "I say again, if I had the whole world at my disposal, I would give it to live one day. I am about to take a leap into the dark."

Voltaire: --- "I am abandoned by God and man; I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months' life." (He said this to Dr. Fochin, who told him it could not be done.) "Then I shall die and go to hell!"
    Robert Ingersoll: --- "O God, if there be a God, save my soul, if I have a soul!" (Some say it was this way: "Oh God, if there be a God, save my soul if I have a soul, from hell, if there be a hell!")

Thanks

Default Re: Famous Atheist's Last Words

I suggest you look up the last words of Martin Luther and Thomas Aquinas. Oh yeah, Jesus has some pretty great last words as well.

In any case, I'm not sure what significance last words have. It's not like all of your quotes even show regret for having been an atheist, and there are plenty of atheists who had no regrets.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." -Blaise Pascal
    "I would bless my children with your destruction instead." -Anonymous
    "A brontosaurus is nothing but a mixture of the bones of many animals and humans pieced together to form a fictitious beast." -Another anonymous donor.
    "Plate tectonics is the fantasy mechanism that is invented to explain away the obvious rapid sliding of the continents to their new positions on the globe." -Anonymous

Thanks

The last words of Borgia and Hobbs don't really seem to fit with the others. Just that they'd prefer living for a bit longer, since they believe there's nothing waiting on the other side. It's not like they're renouncing anything.

I wonder how many atheists have died without suddenly being afraid of a god's judgment...I'm betting a lot more than the handful posted here.

-----------------------
    Cherry picking does not impress.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Great thread in respect that it gives us something new to think about.

But the point of it? Not sure, even though I like it.

A few thoughts:
    Yes, Martin Luther's last words were something along the lines of "now I am shit out of the ass of this world" (I've been reading a LOT of Martin Luther the last six months).

Let's say an Atheist recants in their last words and "accepts Christ." Aren't they now a Christian so the point is moot?

I wonder how many Christians in their last moments braced themselves for the pearly gates, and then just died. That's it.
    (A bit of a troll statement, but just for the sake of arguing the other side of the tracks).

I would imagine most of us will look to SOMETHING in our last moments. How could we not? I'm not saying what that something is, it's just that we all think of our last moments and what that will be like. It's the only thing we know for sure will happen at some point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    (A bit of a troll statement, but just for the sake of arguing the other side of the tracks).
    I can totally beat that in terms of trolling. Check it out: Jesus's 'last' words were, "Oh father, why have you forsaken me?" Does this mean that Jesus became an atheist before he died?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." -Blaise Pascal
    "A brontosaurus is nothing but a mixture of the bones of many animals and humans pieced together to form a fictitious beast." -Another anonymous donor.
    "Plate tectonics is the fantasy mechanism that is invented to explain away the obvious rapid sliding of the continents to their new positions on the globe." -Anonymous

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Gives the phrase "you need to believe in yourself" a new twist...

Thanks

Good one!

Thanks

I suspect that most famous last words are apocryphal. I would prefer to believe that Voltaire's last words were (when supposedly asked to forswear the Devil):
    This is no time to make new enemies.
    The most believable of the FLW are those of Henry James:
    Here it is at last, the distinguished thing.
    But even here one suspects some editorial work.

Thanks

Famous Atheist's Last Words..
    "Who are you?"

Thanks

"Oh my God!"

Wouldn't that be interesting last words for an atheist.

Well, on a more serious note. It has been said that there are no atheists in a falling airplane. Seems like when we are in critical straits there is that pratically instinctive need to reach out to a power greater than ourselves.

I guess this my next question is for atheists. Given the fact that you are atheists, have you ever in a moment of crisis reconsidered your stance and hoped in whatever way to that Higher Power for help?

Just curious. No right or wrong answer to this, I think. I'm just interested if it ever happened to any of you.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast