Thread: What 'God is No Respector of persons' means according to one

Thanks

Default What 'God is No Respector of persons' means according to one

Larry H. Fain.

What does it mean to you?

"The Bible quotation that is the title of this article is language used in the King James Version of Acts 10:34. There, Luke records,

"Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons." KJV).

Modern translations would use the phrase that God “shows no partiality” (NKJV) or “is not one to show partiality” (NASB).

Just for clarity’s sake, understand that the modern translations more accurately state the premise.

Some have misunderstood the ancient language to mean that God has no respect for mankind indicating some disdain for man.
    Nothing could be further from the truth.
    God sent His only begotten Son to the earth in order to save man. God so loved the world, not disdained it.

That initial point dealt with, let us now look into what Peter said and why.

The situation in Acts 10 is the record of the conversion of the first Gentile to the gospel of Christ in the person of Cornelius, a Caesarean army officer, a centurion.
    This was a man of a good reputation as well as powerful military rank.
    For verification of these details, please see and read Acts 10 and 11 in their entirety.

The significance of the events recorded in these two chapters is seen in that up to this point in time the apostles and the initial converts maintained their Jewish bias against all Gentiles and considered them unworthy of a relationship with God, and certainly not with themselves, as the Jews were the chosen people of God.

This bias was misapplied, but God had a plan to overcome their prejudice and show them a better way. Peter, a servant of God, an apostle of Jesus Christ as well as a devout Jew, was a tough nut to crack. This would not be the only time he had a problem with prejudice against Gentiles (See Galatians 2, beginning at verse 11). God had a way of dealing with tough nuts, too.

The conclusion that Peter had to reach within himself so as to go to the home of a Gentile with a clear conscience is that indeed God is no respecter of persons. What are some applications we can draw from this truth?

Racial prejudice is sin.
    The social ramifications of Peter entering the home of Cornelius were at that time revolutionary. Acts chapter 11 is the record of Peter having to answer to people in Jerusalem for his actions in Caesarea in regard to Cornelius. Only the direct operation of the Holy Spirit was sufficient to convince Peter and his company that God endorsed their being present in that home and the preaching of the gospel to Gentiles.

With that divine endorsement, Peter continued.
    God is indeed no respecter of persons.

The kids’ song is right.
    “Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.”

Of course His love does not change at all when they grow up into responsible adults. God had decreed that the children of Israel maintain their lineage pure for the perfection of the genealogy of the Messiah. Once Messiah had come, died, been raised from the dead and ascended to Heaven, there was no need for the maintenance of that old provision. Likewise, there is no need for there to be racial prejudice today. It is a problem in our society and a problem in our world. For Christians to maintain any hatred based on race is absolutely sinful.
    For Christians to show partiality based on race is likewise sinful.

God does not exempt some from His law.
    When Peter announced that God was no respecter of persons, he also said, “but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right, is welcome to Him” (Acts 10:35; NASB). It matters not if you are
    a white, middle-class businessman in the ‘Bible belt’ of the United States
    or a jungle dweller in Africa or South America,
    or a veiled Arabian woman in Kuwait,
    the principle of Acts 10:35 applies.

For the rest, see:
    http://www.watchmanmag.com/0407/040710.htm
    "The person who discovered The Law of Love
    was a far greater scientist than any of our modern scientists."
    MKGANDHI
    “Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas.”
    Albert Einstein
    “Love sought is good, but given unsought is better.”
    William Shakespeare, 12th Night

Thanks

So God is simply stating in the negative what he means in the positive:

God respects all persons and so might as well respect NO person or might as well be a respector of NO persons!

It's like what kids know: when everybody is wrong, everybody might as well be and IS right!

It's like what optomertists say:
    'You are shortsighted' when they mean you CAN see things CLOSE to you!: they mean the opposite: you can NOT see things far away!

And,

'You are longsighted' when they mean that you CAN see things FAR from you! They mean the opposite: you can NOT see things close to you!

In the Love that calls things that are as though they are not, and states things athat are not as though they were,
    atoz
    MKGANDHI
    Albert Einstein
    William Shakespeare, 12th Night

Thanks

Goodmorning atoz,

Re: God is no respecter of Persons

God reconciled the world unto himself by his Son Jesus Christ. There is not difference between the Jew and the Gentile, for we are all one.

If you could prove to me that Christ is a 'personal savior' then I would believe that he is indeed a respecter of persons, but I can find nothing that indicates that Christ in not all and in all.

Ephesians 2:13-14, "But now, in Christ Jesus, ye who sometimes were far off (the Gentiles) are made nigh by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who hath made both one (Jew and Gentile), and hath broken down the middle wass of partition between us;"

There is no love if God did not reconcile the world unto himself. There is no love if we are not one.

I John 2:8, "Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth. He that saith he is in the lilght, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now."

If we see our brother in darkness we hate him. If we see him reconciled to God (both Jew and Gentile) then we are walking in the Light; the Light of love and we do not judge after the flesh.

The problem with some of the newer translations is they imply that there is still a division. If there is a division then we are under the law because that is where division started; when God separated the Jew from the Gentile.

But Peter had a revelation and no longer was the Gentile to be called common or unclean.

This is what love means to me.

In Christ, Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nana
    Goodmorning atoz,

Re: God is no respecter of Persons

God reconciled the world unto himself by his Son Jesus Christ. There is not difference between the Jew and the Gentile, for we are all one.

If you could prove to me that Christ is a 'personal savior' then I would believe that he is indeed a respecter of persons, but I can find nothing that indicates that Christ in not all and in all.

Ephesians 2:13-14, "But now, in Christ Jesus, ye who sometimes were far off (the Gentiles) are made nigh by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who hath made both one (Jew and Gentile), and hath broken down the middle wass of partition between us;"

There is no love if God did not reconcile the world unto himself. There is no love if we are not one.

I John 2:8, "Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth. He that saith he is in the lilght, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now."

If we see our brother in darkness we hate him. If we see him reconciled to God (both Jew and Gentile) then we are walking in the Light; the Light of love and we do not judge after the flesh.

The problem with some of the newer translations is they imply that there is still a division. If there is a division then we are under the law because that is where division started; when God separated the Jew from the Gentile.

But Peter had a revelation and no longer was the Gentile to be called common or unclean.

This is what love means to me.

In Christ, Judy
    Good evening, Nana!

We are totally agreed!smile

in God's Love and Respect,
    atoz
    MKGANDHI
    Albert Einstein