Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jesus Feeds The Multitudes - John 6:1-15

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Jesus Feeds The Multitudes - John 6:1-15

With the question?________John 6:1-15

How does Jesus feeding the multitudes, relate to Jesus
    the bread of life?

True the loaves and the fish did not multiply! It was the miracle that ocurred in Jesus hands when He broke the food!

Read: Mark 6:36-44 & Matt. 14: 15-21

PS: I read somewhere that if they were to go buy that food back then it would have cost about $88.00 American dollers.
    Wonder what it would cost today
    Nobby

Thanks

Here is one thing that I've always found pretty cool. If you notice, it doesn't say anywhere in reference to feeding the multitude that the food was "multiplied". Many people have assumed that the passage is about Jesus multiplying the food so that all could be filled by eating it. For our study let's try and stay away from assumptions and focus on the biblical text.

Jn 6:13 says, "Therefore they gathered them up, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves which were left over by those who had eaten." - It tells us here that they picked up what was left of the "5 loaves"; if they were multiplied it would tell us that they picked up what was left from the larger number of multiplied loaves. But, it is clear that from this text there were still only 5 loaves.

Also, Mk 6:41 says, "....and the two fish He divided among them all." - clearly this states that what they divided among the people was 2 fish, nothing was multiplied.

So, this bring us to the question, "What is God trying to tell us in this passage?" I believe that the whole point is they were filled by the very presence of Jesus, not by the food. For man does not live by bread alone..etc.

What's interesting about the Jn 6 passage is that right after feeding the multitude, Jesus teaches that He is the bread of life; and that we must eat His flesh and drink His blood to have life. He is telling us that the only real way to be sustained is to abide in Him.

So, that's my take on this passage of scripture.

In Christ.
    Ps 14:1 - Only fools say in their hearts, "There is no God."
    Prov 26:4 - When arguing with fools, don't answer their foolish arguments, or you will become as foolish as they are.

Thanks

i am one of the ones that just took for granted that he multiplied the fish and bread. Just imagine how that little boy felt when the apostles asked for his food. He must of thought they were crazy to think that would feed all those people, however, it makes no refrence to that so he trusted Jesus would provide for all and he did :!: :!:

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I agree that this is a message of Spiritual Food. Here's my thoughts of it.

The multitude had seen the miracles, (or signs, NKJV) of Jesus, and they hungered for Him. They wanted more of Him. I remember when I was first saved, how I could not get enough. I still hunger but back then it was a burning desire, I wanted to learn everything. I read, watched, and listened to everything about Jesus that I could find, I was starved for the truth.

I feel that the mention of Passover (v4) is very important because of the prophetic message of Jesus found in Exodus 12:1-13. new beginning, spotless lamb, blood on 2 side posts and upper post (symbol of the cross), etc.. Which ties in with John 6:51 Jesus states that He is the Bread of Life, sent from heaven. Spiritual Food.

The child (v9) is interesting to me. Who was this child, where were the parents, how did Andrew know he had food when the child was only one of thousands. I think of Mark 10:15" Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein." The faith of a child. You tell them something, they believe you. They trust you to care for them, they have love unconditional. Jesus tested Philip's faith with the question of feeding the people. Andrew also showed lack of faith, we have some but not enough. The child had enough for himself and enough to share, he had faith.

Something else that kind of jumped at me is verse 12"...so that nothing is lost" Luke 15:4-5, the lost sheep, it shows Christ's joy over a sinners salvation! Jesus looked at the multitude and saw an opportunity, the disciples only saw problems. They told the Bread of Life that there was no bread!

A bit of trivia: This is the only miracle performed by Jesus that is recorded in all 4 Gospels: Matthew 14:17, Mark 8:19-20, Luke 9:13-17, and John 6:1-15.

God Bless
    Mary :angel:

Thanks

Mary,

I like your thoughts on the "hunger" for Jesus. This is very insightful. Maybe even as a warning, because even these people who hungered after Him left Him when He revealed to them that they must eat His flesh and drink His blood.

Also, very good point about how Jesus saw an opportunity and the apostles only saw the problems. We as christians can learn alot from that alone.

I don't think much can be said of the child, since the scriptures don't mention anything about him except that he had the food. It's a bit of an assumption that he had faith, maybe the apostles just grabbed the food from him (the apostles were harsh towards children before, forbidding them to come to Christ).

I think it's also interesting as i'm reading this scripture again how Jesus has them sit down in ranks by hundreds, and by fifties (Mk 6:39-41). It shows how even with this large crowd, Jesus is a God of order not chaos. He had an orderly way of doing everything.

I think this study is going pretty good so far, this is my 1st time too!
    Prov 26:4 - When arguing with fools, don't answer their foolish arguments, or you will become as foolish as they are.

Thanks

Yes, you are right about the assumption of the childs faith. When I think of that child though, I am led to the Book of Isaiah chapter 11. Isaiah is telling us about the kingdom of peace and prosperity that Jesus will establish. The last part of verse 6...and a little child shall lead them. Philip and Andrew were lost about what to do, and the child became their answer.

True they may have just taken his food, Jesus did have to correct them about keeping the children from Him. Many times He warned about children...better a millstone around your neck...than to harm one of these little ones, humble yourself as this child, etc.

Something else I have been thinking about is the mountain. Forgive me if it seems that I am just picking at things here, but I do believe the Bible to be the word of God. I feel that everything is purposely there for our understanding and growth as Christians. So in saying that:
    John 6:3 And Jesus went up on the mountain...with His disciples, and in v15 He departed again to the mountian by Himself alone. (He went down to the people)

I am thinking: when Moses went up the mountain (10 commandments), the multitude with him were scared of the mountain (scared of God being there on the mountian), and ended up making and worishiping a false god. Turning away from the only True God.

So...the mountian in our study, and before chapter 6 is over we find that (v66) many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. They turned back to a false god, just as those with Moses did.

Just a thought :idea: :!: :?:,

With Christian love

Thanks

Wow, that mountain idea is pretty cool. I think you may have something there.

It's funny how when brothers and sisters in Christ come together God is revealed more to them. That's why i liked the idea of this bible study. As the different parts of the body of Christ come together, He becomes more complete in us.

In Christ.

Thanks

boy oh boy this is such a good subject for a study!!!!!!! I have been reading the verses and i agree with the mountain subject. I just hate that i dont have the knowledge to participate as fully as i would like to . I have been searchingg for knowledge and by joe I think I found it

Thanks

lookie,

it's great having you as part of the bible study. Remember, knowledge puffs up, it's love that edifies.

We will all come out of this study with some new perspectives and insights to what God is revealing to us.

In Chirst.

Thanks

Amen to that. Donna don't apologize, and don't count yourself short. Remember that understanding comes by faith, and faith comes by God. I pray for understanding when I study. I know I will never understand it all, at least not here on this earth anyway! I teach a youth Sunday school class and just about every Sunday one of the children will point out something that I did not see. I encourage them to ask questions and to talk out any thoughts they have. Don't think any questions or thoughts are silly. We are all here to learn, and we will learn from each other.

And remember it takes many parts to make a whole, I am glad you are a part!

God Bless you all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast