Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Justice. Important or unimportant?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
    Yes but it's not officially ordered treatment
    I don't know about that. I think it's done to have some sort of control because there's very few guards and many prisoners.

In my opinion prison is a complete waste of time for the vast majority of those incarcerated, it just makes them worse but I don't know what the alternative is. The army maybe? Deportation to Australia worked for the British in the 1800's, most of them became valuable members of society but I don't think there's any countries left accepting convicts these days. Maybe colonise the Moon or Mars with petty crims.
    And the officer said, "better get a lawyer son, better get a real good one".

Quote Originally Posted by John53 View Post
    In my opinion prison is a complete waste of time for the vast majority of those incarcerated, it just makes them worse but I don't know what the alternative is.
    Agreed. It's a school for criminals. But it keeps them away from the rest of us for a time.

The army maybe? Deportation to Australia worked for the British in the 1800's, most of them became valuable members of society but I don't think there's any countries left accepting convicts these days. Maybe colonise the Moon or Mars with petty crims.
    Death sentence for all crimes maybe.

Roger
    It is not God that kills the children, not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs.
    It's us. Only us. - Rorschach

Death sentence for all crimes maybe.
    I thought your objection to the God of the Trinitarians, in part, was that the prescribed punishment (eternal torture) didn't fit the offense (unbelief). There is no justice in that.

Vengeance is mine sayeth the lord. Sadistic SOB.
    Vengeance is mine sayeth the judge to the jaywalker?

Where is the justice in that?
    The hound of Jewish monotheism.

"For us there is one God. He is the Father." (I Corinthians 8:6)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattathias View Post
    I thought your objection to the God of the Trinitarians, in part, was that the prescribed punishment (eternal torture) didn't fit the offense (unbelief). There is no justice in that.
    Correct.

Vengeance is mine sayeth the judge to the jaywalker?

Where is the justice in that?
    Death is not a punishment if done painlessly. It just prevents evildoers from repeating their crimes.

Roger
    It is not God that kills the children, not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs.

Death is not a punishment if done painlessly. It just prevents evildoers from repeating their crimes.
    Death is a punishment for crimes committed only if pain is inflicted/experienced?

There is no punishment for crimes committed if pain isn't inflicted/experienced?
    The hound of Jewish monotheism.

"For us there is one God. He is the Father." (I Corinthians 8:6)

Death is a punishment for crimes committed only if pain is inflicted/experienced?

There is no punishment for crimes committed if pain isn't inflicted/experienced?
    The Xians seem to think so.

Roger

Simple death comes to all men. So too does justice.
    So few regard this fact.

...Also, when the LORD said 'vengeance is mine', was He not saying so as a way to discourage people from taking their own 'vengeance'?

Paul seemed to think so.
    Last edited by ChrisHill; 08-02-2017 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    Athiest. . .or anti-theist? . . .they aren't the same.
    the former of course.

I've seen your posts over the last 2 yrs, would have thought you have mine too, and so know the answer to your valid question.

and yes indeed there is a difference.

only a fool make war/hates God - even if He is not.

I leave debate upon the morality of God and which God/s to Beleivers (of any Faith) to the God/s.

------

all that is folly IMO.

Death is the great Equalizer.

if there is a God and it is also Just (two are separate things), then maybe God willing I'll be granted an afterlife of sorts.

if there is no God - then the Grave will be my "Afterlife" forevermore.

--------

Humility demands that I not concern myself with things out of my control and leave these things to Fortune.

------

good day to Ya.

(BTW I find "anti-theists" intellectually lazy, foolish and obnoxious (I'd say 2/3 of Atheists here are of that type sadly)). the most like me would probbly "Steven TB" (or whatever his moniker is).

the other 2 atheists I can think of affhand are clearly anti-theists.

John53 is a nice guy, but not sure if he is an Atheist or a Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
    John53 is a nice guy, but not sure if he is an Atheist or a Christian.
    Not 100% sure myself Gaffo but definitely not Christian although I try to follow some of the teachings of Jesus or the teachings attributed to a man called Jesus (personally I think he is an amalgamation of several actual people if that makes sense). I guess agnostic atheist would be the closest description for me. All the Gods I have investigated throughout my life only exist in the minds of men in my opinion. I do respect the spiritual ideas of the local Aboriginal people where I live and think they might have part of the truth but I don't think their idea of God is accurate.
    And the officer said, "better get a lawyer son, better get a real good one".

Quote Originally Posted by John53 View Post
    Not 100% sure myself Gaffo but definitely not Christian although I try to follow some of the teachings of Jesus or the teachings attributed to a man called Jesus (personally I think he is an amalgamation of several actual people if that makes sense). I guess agnostic atheist would be the closest description for me. All the Gods I have investigated throughout my life only exist in the minds of men in my opinion. I do respect the spiritual ideas of the local Aboriginal people where I live and think they might have part of the truth but I don't think their idea of God is accurate.
    thanks for reply John.

same here -though atheist - i value some of the works in the OT and NT and think the man Jesus must have been exceptional in his views (to still be know to us today). I view him as one like Ghandi.

I think he was an Essene myself.

off topic - but you like your views on.

what books of the bible do you like and what do you not and why so for both?

--------- you know the ones i like from my prior posts but will restate if you do not know and wish to know.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast