Thread: No Religion On The Increase

Default No Religion On The Increase

The results from Australia's latest census are in and "no religion" tops the religion question for the 1st time in our history relegating Catholicism to 2nd spot.

http://www.news.com.au/national/no-r...32a83535078f51
    And the officer said, "better get a lawyer son, better get a real good one".

yep.

here is a factoid you never hear - esp from the Islamophobes.

in the HEART of Wahhabism - Saudi Araba, 19 percent of Saudis today are Agnostic/Atheists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

of course the are a SILENT minority...............due to valuing their heads..................but that are still there all 20 million of then!

When the Son of man comes, will he find faith on the earth?
    (The Messiah, Luke 18:8)
    The hound of Jewish monotheism.

"For us there is one God. He is the Father." (I Corinthians 8:6)

Is 'faith a virtue?' What would make suspending rational thought beneficial?

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Is 'faith a virtue?'
    Faith can be a virtue and also a hindrance. Like everything, taken in moderation as part of a healthy diet it causes no harm.

What would make suspending rational thought beneficial?
    I can think of a couple... to help ease the fear of the unknown we have about dying. When watching movies.

Quote Originally Posted by John53 View Post
    Faith can be a virtue and also a hindrance.
    When faith gives comfort, or 'succor' as the old book of Common Prayer suggests; I am with you. When faith blows up buildings and commits atrocities in the name of a deity, that isn't a virtue afaic.

Like everything, taken in moderation as part of a healthy diet it causes no harm.
    "All things in moderation. Including moderation." Take that to its logical conclusion and there will be harm.

I can think of a couple... to help ease the fear of the unknown we have about dying. When watching movies.
    Yes, I can see where 'suspending rational thought' in those instances might prove advantageous. Both are a suspension of disbelief. They are not a recognition of what is actual fact. If belief in something that may or may not be true gives people comfort, who am I to take that away from them? No one.

Faith can be a virtue and also a hindrance. Like everything, taken in moderation as part of a healthy diet it causes no harm.

also faith in one you love who you think has betrayed you.

i.e a friend that has fallen short (do you still think he/she is your friend in spite of reason that shows the counter (sometimes they are - you just misscommunicated/etc (life is complex/etc))).

Faith is ok.........usually.

..............the Faith of a Fool......well maybe not so much - but who knows?

When faith gives comfort, or 'succor' as the old book of Common Prayer suggests; I am with you.
    not for me.

I do not care if Faith comforts me. that to me is like a "safety blanket"............

Faith - counter to reason/known evidence - (i.e redemption of the object in question) is the only value of Faith.

IMO.

When faith blows up buildings and commits atrocities in the name of a deity, that isn't a virtue afaic.
    IMO that is more Dogma than Faith.

Faith is inactive - fatalist.

Dogma is more active.

building bombs and blowing up buildings is not an inactive sport.

"All things in moderation. Including moderation." Take that to its logical conclusion and there will be harm.
    really?

that is my "life-mode"!

to me that means "no harm" not "HARM"

but to tell - you got me curious now.

--------------was that Seneca?

always liked him (even though he was tutor to the infinate born loser Nero...if Seneca can't fix you you are beyond fixing).