Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cyrus' Decree or Artaxerxes'

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by precepts View Post
    No, it doesn't, because the temple was completed in Darius' 6th yr of reign, Darius being the official 3rd king of Persia Media. Xerxes was his son, and Artaxerxes was Xerxes's son.
    So you disagree with Ezra, Daniel and secular history?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
    So you disagree with Ezra, Daniel and secular history?
    Ezr 6:14 And the elders of the Jews builded, and they prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and Zechariah the son of Iddo. And they builded, and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel, and according to the commandment of Cyrus, and Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia.
    Ezr 6:15 And this house was finished on the third day of the month Adar, which was in the sixth year of the reign of Darius the king.

- Now, if the temple was completed in the 6th year of Darius' reign, the 3rd king of Persia Media, how could it still be building during Artaxerxes time if he's the 5th king of Persia Media? And I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

History documents the 6th year of Darius, when the temple was completed, to be the year 516 b.c. So here's your quote of the kings list so you can verify the fact:

Cyrus the Great 559-530 bc (right time for the decree.
    Cambyses 530-522 not mentioned in Bible.
    Bardia 522-522 promptly killed
    Darius I 522-486 Daniel alive at 100 is possible but another chapter says he was the king who replaced Belshazzar.
    Xerxes I 485-465 They think he's Esther's husband.
    Artaxerxes I 465-424. Do you see him in the Bible?
    Xerxes II 424-424 promptly killed.
    Sogdianus 424-423 promptly killed
    Darius II 423-404 Malachi's era.
    Artaxerxes II 404-358 after our Old Testament was finished.
    Artaxerxes III 358-338 by then they might have needed more upkeep and renovations.
    Artaxerxes IV 338-336 killed
    Darius III 336-330 killed
    Artaxerxes V 330-329 killed by Alexander the Great.
    Last edited by precepts; 06-29-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Gen 30:33 So shall my righteousness answer for me in time to come, when it shall come for my hire before thy face: every one that [is] not speckled and spotted among the goats, and brown among the sheep, that shall be counted stolen with me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ezr 6:14 And the elders of the Jews builded, and they prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and Zechariah the son of Iddo. And they builded, and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel, and according to the commandment of Cyrus, and Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia.
    Ezr 6:15 And this house was finished on the third day of the month Adar, which was in the sixth year of the reign of Darius the king.

- Now, if the temple was completed in the 6th year of Darius' reign, the 3rd king of Persia Media, how could it still be building during Artaxerxes time if he's the 5th king of Persia Media? And I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

History documents the 6th year of Darius, when the temple was completed, to be the year 516 b.c. So here's your quote of the kings list so you can verify the fact:
    Do you think they called Cambyses by another name? Changed names always gives people loopholes both to reconcile Bible problems and to create them?

Thanks

Do you think they called Cambyses by another name? Changed names always gives people loopholes both to reconcile Bible problems and to create them?
    Change his name to what?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Gen 30:33 So shall my righteousness answer for me in time to come, when it shall come for my hire before thy face: every one that [is] not speckled and spotted among the goats, and brown among the sheep, that shall be counted stolen with me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Change his name to what?
    Artaxerxes would fit for Cambyses, considering Ezra 6:14.

Thanks

Artaxerxes would fit for Cambyses, considering Ezra 6:14.
    True, but why is it listed after Darius and not in chronological order: Cyrus, Artaxerxes, then Darius? Plus, who is Ahasuerus in chapter 4?

Ezr 4:4 Then the people of the land weakened the hands of the people of Judah, and troubled them in building,
    Ezr 4:5 And hired counsellors against them, to frustrate their purpose, all the days of Cyrus king of Persia, even until the reign of Darius king of Persia.
    Ezr 4:6 And in the reign of Ahasuerus, in the beginning of his reign, wrote they unto him an accusation against the inhabitants of Judah and Jerusalem.
    Ezr 4:7 And in the days of Artaxerxes wrote Bishlam, Mithredath, Tabeel, and the rest of their companions, unto Artaxerxes king of Persia; and the writing of the letter was written in the Syrian tongue, and interpreted in the Syrian tongue.

+++++++++++++++++++++
    Ezr 4:21 Give ye now commandment to cause these men to cease, and that this city be not builded, until another commandment shall be given from me.

- I have just realized, while posting these verses, that Ahasuerus in verse 5 has to be Artaxerxes in verse 6. It's just a different rendering of the same name, by the translators. So, in essence, this Artaxerxes has to be the imposter because he is the one that caused the building to cease just before Darius came to power, the reason why verses 4 and 5 says they hired counselors during the days of Cyrus even until Darius - more proof that there shouldn't be anyone listed after Darius in Ezra 6:14; and, in my opinion, he's probably the Artaxerxes referred to and not Cambyses.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345