Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I don't see any way that we can know why God did/does what he does do. The universe exists; that seems pretty self-apparent. The bible does claim that God made this world to be inhabited. Does that mean that he did not simultaneously make other worlds to be inhabited? Of course, the answer is clear - we don't know.

From a mathematical standpoint......it seems that there certainly could be other forms of life in this universe. As you mentioned, there's just so much to it.

We are here, and this is where we live. Yet, I can't help but think that a cage, even with bars of solid gold is still a prison. So, we live in a prison of sorts, no question about that in my mind. Death seems to be the one certain escape from this place.

With this in mind; I wonder if it's easy enough to understand why I believe it's very likely that we are here to be punished. We have received a death sentence; all of us - and we will be serving it out. There will be no paroles or early release. What happens after that? Again, I have my ideas.
    Being punished but for no evident reason, along with every bacterium,
    cow and cactus, all doomed to die.

You do know this makes no sense, right?

Thanks

I don't see any way that we can know why God did/does what he does do. The universe exists; that seems pretty self-apparent. The bible does claim that God made this world to be inhabited. Does that mean that he did not simultaneously make other worlds to be inhabited? Of course, the answer is clear - we don't know.

From a mathematical standpoint......it seems that there certainly could be other forms of life in this universe. As you mentioned, there's just so much to it.

We are here, and this is where we live. Yet, I can't help but think that a cage, even with bars of solid gold is still a prison. So, we live in a prison of sorts, no question about that in my mind. Death seems to be the one certain escape from this place.

With this in mind; I wonder if it's easy enough to understand why I believe it's very likely that we are here to be punished. We have received a death sentence; all of us - and we will be serving it out. There will be no paroles or early release. What happens after that? Again, I have my ideas.
    Death is part of Life . You are not being punished as a species you have an opportunity to survive. The Bible does not focus on Life in general but mostly on the human individual. As individuals we are only as important as to what we do in Life.
    Last edited by Edward; 06-12-2017 at 05:43 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Edward For This Useful Post:

Philip (06-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,204 Times in 4,058 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taikoo View Post
    Being punished but for no evident reason, along with every bacterium,
    cow and cactus, all doomed to die.

You do know this makes no sense, right?
    Plenty of things make no sense Taikoo. But yeah, I get it, my ideas aren't going to get complete buy-in.
    If you want to get to heaven; you've got to raise a little hell. If you want to know a secret, you've got promise not to tell.

Thanks

Plenty of things make no sense Taikoo. But yeah, I get it, my ideas aren't going to get complete buy-in.

I am not debating you, I am just sad for you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am not debating you, I am just sad for you.
    That's an odd and crappy thing to think. Even worse that you said it out loud. If that's your actual feeling, I hope you're also sad for yourself and everyone else who exists in this place.
    If you want to get to heaven; you've got to raise a little hell. If you want to know a secret, you've got promise not to tell.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philip2 View Post
    Sixty or seventy years and then...nothing.
    What a waste.
    That does nicely encapsulate so much.

I'd see it as 60-70 yrs of chasing a mirage, missing now because of a tomorrow
    that isnt there. And then.. yes..nothing. At least you wont ever know.

Then too, I see that comment as revealing so much about what inspires belief
    in an afterlife. It is about universal among humankind, to think there is life beyond
    the grave.

The idea that an ephemeral event is "wasted', you sure that is so?

After the last notes of a great symphony have faded, and the audience gets up to leave,
    was the performance wasted?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Going back to the OP:
    Suppose Jesus surprises everyone and doesn't come back for another 4000 years or so, by then how many of those stars and planets might humans have colonized, visited, charted sufficiently to write long books about? We still won't have reached them all, so even the last generation will have a chance to wonder.

I was born 6 days before Alan Shepherd went into space. I'm told they held me in front of the tv so I could grow up witnessing as many breakthroughs in space exploration as possible, more than they thought they'd live to see.
    The generation dying of old age when I was a baby saw the invention of airplanes, radio and tv.
    The generation dying of old age when they were born discovered oil, dinosaur bones and the first theory or species origins.
    The generation before that was the first to learn Australia was there, except the aboriginies, who were the first to learn the other continents were there.
    If our planet was one third as large, with fewer continents and no ice caps or mountains you can't walk up in a day, would we be bored with it yet?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

After the last notes of a great symphony have faded, and the audience gets up to leave,
    was the performance wasted?
    Well put.

No, the performance was not wasted. It was beauty and art.....and it took time, skill, devotion, and resources to pull it off. It meant something to the performers and the audience alike.

Thanks

Well put.

No, the performance was not wasted. It was beauty and art.....and it took time, skill, devotion, and resources to pull it off. It meant something to the performers and the audience alike.
    I'd expect you to see that. I wonder if phil the 2 can appreciate the metaphor.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,825 Times in 4,875 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't see any way that we can know why God did/does what he does do.
    Moses knew the ways of God. He spoke to God face to face as a man speaks to his friend. It is definately possible to know why God does/did what He does. I, myself, understand something of the ways of God. It is not true to say we cannot know.
    The universe exists; that seems pretty self-apparent. The bible does claim that God made this world to be inhabited. Does that mean that he did not simultaneously make other worlds to be inhabited? Of course, the answer is clear - we don't know.
    True.
    There is the whole of the spirit world. Life forms that we are not generally aware of so again, true.
    How would you know if you were not in a prison. I do not feel like I am in a prison. Who is right?
    With that thinking, I can see why you come to the conclusions you do. One does not "serve out" a death sentence. A death sentence only occurs when death occurs and that is so quick one cannot "serve it out." That is like "serving out a lightening bolt." It is gone too fast. There are early releases though although we usually think of these as untimely deaths or murder. What happens after that some of us, again, are pretty confident we know.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast