Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Insulting?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,825 Times in 4,875 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
    It's a recruitment tactic; convince you that you're sick and they have the cure.

Roger
    Pretty astute as far as it goes. And in many places now this seems to be the case. It was not always so. There were times where the Christians presented the "cure" that God offers and allowed the people themselves to "see" if was needed. This is called letting God speak to the man. But it required trust and respect and so they invented "sin nature" and "all have sinned which means you and so you need the cure." The result is the flabby "say a prayer and go to Heaven" kind of "believer" who never experienced really seeing the wrong they have done and so never experienced the "cure" (forgiveness) which is powerful and does change people and quite dramatically. Not all believers are like this but in the west, way too many.

Hadn't thought of it as you expressed it but it does seem to be the case in many ways.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 1,049 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    Pretty astute as far as it goes. And in many places now this seems to be the case. It was not always so. There were times where the Christians presented the "cure" that God offers and allowed the people themselves to "see" if was needed. This is called letting God speak to the man. But it required trust and respect and so they invented "sin nature" and "all have sinned which means you and so you need the cure." The result is the flabby "say a prayer and go to Heaven" kind of "believer" who never experienced really seeing the wrong they have done and so never experienced the "cure" (forgiveness) which is powerful and does change people and quite dramatically. Not all believers are like this but in the west, way too many.

Hadn't thought of it as you expressed it but it does seem to be the case in many ways.
    I can't claim credit for it but it is appropriate.

Roger
    It is not God that kills the children, not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs.
    It's us. Only us. - Rorschach

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
    I can't claim credit for it but it is appropriate.

Roger
    I agree. This along with "only believe...don't think" type of Christianity.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,317 Posts
    Blog Entries

If all are sinners then it is true. Are you saying that all are not sinners then? Perhaps there are some that do not need the Gospel?

Richard Gillett
    I am an unworthy servant. But someone had to stand up and be counted.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gillett View Post
    If all are sinners then it is true. Are you saying that all are not sinners then? Perhaps there are some that do not need the Gospel?

Richard Gillett
    I am saying that when Peter preached, they were cut to the heart regarding their own sin (obviously.) He did not tell them they have a sin nature. He did not tell them they had all sinned. He did tell them that they had crucified him which we can assume some of them did not. But they felt convicted of sin nevertheless. This leads to true repentance and conversion. The problem with telling men that they have a sin nature or they have sinned and leave the Holy Spirit no time nor room to pinpoint the real sin in their life, then there is no real repentance. The whole thing becomes mechanical.
    ------------------------

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am saying that when Peter preached, they were cut to the heart regarding their own sin (obviously.) He did not tell them they have a sin nature. He did not tell them they had all sinned. He did tell them that they had crucified him which we can assume some of them did not. But they felt convicted of sin nevertheless. This leads to true repentance and conversion. The problem with telling men that they have a sin nature or they have sinned and leave the Holy Spirit no time nor room to pinpoint the real sin in their life, then there is no real repentance. The whole thing becomes mechanical.
    Without sincerity there is no repentance. so your complaint is accedemic

Richard Gillett

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gillett View Post
    Without sincerity there is no repentance. so your complaint is accedemic

Richard Gillett
    Not for those who tell people just to pray a prayer. It is a matter of where their eternity will be spent. If you don't care because you are a Calvinist and God decided, for you, long ago who goes to Heaven and who goes to Hell for no good reason, well that is typcial of Calvinists.
    ------------------------

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Not for those who tell people just to pray a prayer. It is a matter of where their eternity will be spent. If you don't care because you are a Calvinist and God decided, for you, long ago who goes to Heaven and who goes to Hell for no good reason, well that is typcial of Calvinists.
    I am not a Calvanist and do not agree with them....

so the same principle applies.

Just saying a prayer with no conviction will achieve nothing. (IMO). There is more conviction in a spontanious cry to God for help, and that rarely gets a positive resonse. (IME)

Richard Gillett
    Last edited by Richard Gillett; 07-05-2017 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks

thanks for reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattathias View Post
    Yes. Your/their place is in the second resurrection, where you will be judged by a man (a Jew, Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah - who has been appointed the task by his/my God) from the things which are written in the books, according to your deeds in this age.
    I'll be tried for my deeds - not for my unbelief?

Atheism is not a sin to you?

if so, glad to hear it.

I'm a good guy and if my unbelief is not sin in/of itself, I welcome the trial on the Final Day - according to my deeds.

I'm no saint, done plenty bad, but strive toward good.

so ok with a trial of my character.

Some percentage of you will be allowed to live; some percentage of you will be thrown into the lake of fire - where you will be reduced to ashes, vanish like smoke and cease to exist. Not one of you will be endlessly tortured.
    ok.

I don;t view "killing the soul" of a sinner as more just than serving a term in Hell (non-infinate term of course).

-----but that just me.

you conscious ok with your God "killing sinning souls" rather than serving a finite term for sin in this life?

if so, why?

I believe you but, given your comments concerning not wanting the truth, why do you welcome it?
    ???

don't follow.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617