Page 20 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 1014

Thread: The Errors in the Bible Bother Me.

  1. #191
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    35,508
    Thanks
    1,515
    Thanked 5,535 Times in 4,576 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    According to your interpretation of prophetic riddles, which is no more certain than mine, where Satan is leashed during the church age, which only the end of time will end.
    Rev 20:
    2) And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

    3) And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

    4) And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

    5) But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

    6) Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

    Has the first resurrection occurred yet, smoky?

    No.

    Neither has Satan been bound yet. If he were, this world would not be the mess that it is.

  2. #192
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,792
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 323 Times in 303 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    Rev 20:
    2) And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

    3) And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

    4) And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

    5) But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

    6) Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

    Has the first resurrection occurred yet, smoky?

    No.

    Neither has Satan been bound yet. If he were, this world would not be the mess that it is.
    Dear shroom,
    That makes the "dragon"/Satan, "ruler of the world", with "Babylon the Great" sitting on that beast, who was given the "authority" of the "dragon" (Rev 13 & 17). You might want to consider "coming out of her" (Rev 18:4). Tick tock. Your NT canon came by way of the "daughter of Babylon" (Zech 7:2), and she derived her power by means of the 7th head of the beast (Rev 17), all under the "authority" of the "dragon". That puts you in an unenviable position.

  3. #193
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    35,508
    Thanks
    1,515
    Thanked 5,535 Times in 4,576 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
    Dear shroom,
    That makes the "dragon"/Satan, "ruler of the world", with "Babylon the Great" sitting on that beast, who was given the "authority" of the "dragon" (Rev 13 & 17). You might want to consider "coming out of her" (Rev 18:4). Tick tock. Your NT canon came by way of the "daughter of Babylon" (Zech 7:2), and she derived her power by means of the 7th head of the beast (Rev 17), all under the "authority" of the "dragon". That puts you in an unenviable position.
    I'll take my chances with Christianity rather than rejecting most of the NT and rejecting that Jesus Christ died and was raised from the dead.

  4. #194
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Amishland PA
    Posts
    8,840
    Thanks
    1,298
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 950 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    God will never allow a human error to distort His message to His creation.
    You mean like the Pope?

    One would think you to believe he's a walking "human error" of distortion.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    God will never allow a human error to distort His message to His creation.
    You mean like Jerome?

    One would think you to believe that Bible (Jerome's Vulgate) is from the pit of hell alongside the NWT.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    God will never allow a human error to distort His message to His creation.
    You mean like the King James Version?

    One would think you to believe them and none other were divinely guided to fix all the other human errors, just like the JW's believe with the NWT.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    God will never allow a human error to distort His message to His creation.
    Then if God did not allow Athanasius to make an error in identifying which books should be canon in the New Testament, why then do you think God allowed Athanasius to BE in error when preaching God's message of salvation? And if God did not allow human error to distort His message of salvation as preached by Athanasius, why do you reject God's message through him?

    People in denial tend to not worry about things as well, laughing it off on the road to hell.

    Yehushuan
    It's all God's will until it's all your fault.

    Current ignore list: JimD, De Maria, Agape, smoky, jmldn2

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yehushuan For This Useful Post:

    Hammerhead (05-19-2017)

  6. #195
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nuneaton
    Posts
    7,846
    Thanks
    943
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,309 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post
    Did I ever deny it?

    But should I choose to say the evidence you discern is delusional, can you demonstrate it isn't?

    Can a Hindu who discerns evidence for the existence of Ganesh demonstrate to you that it isn't delusional?
    Can't you see that claiming it is delusional is obnoxious?

    Richard Gillett
    I am an unworthy servant. But someone had to stand up and be counted.

  7. #196
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nuneaton
    Posts
    7,846
    Thanks
    943
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,309 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Right but isn't Satan actually not real and just a personification of self-will?
    If you beleive in God as the epitomy of righteousness then it is only logical to accept the existence of His antipathy, call it the Devil or Satan or whatever, He, she, it must exist. Ying / Yang and all that jazz.

    Richard Gillett
    I am an unworthy servant. But someone had to stand up and be counted.

  8. #197
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Amishland PA
    Posts
    8,840
    Thanks
    1,298
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 950 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    None of the discrepancies affect these things Jesus told us to do. None. So if we keep his teachings, we will know the truth.
    Yet what do you define these teachings to be? Some limit them to the four New Testament gospels, some include the entire New Testament, while others include the Entire Bible. Some exclude the Mosaic Law but consider the Ten Commandments to be Jesus' teaching.

    It doesn't do anyone good to say, "Follow Jesus' teachings" and then not be able to clarify precisely what they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    He has told us clearly our part. Live up to the truth one knows.
    And if one knows there are not only errors, but factional disputes of fundamental doctrine (cf. Acts 15) upon what, then, is one to base one's "clarity" if it's all muddled into brown when mixed together?

    Yehu

    PS: Was Jesus such a bad teacher of the 12 that God had to send along another, namely Paul, to set everybody else straight?

    PPS: Don't bother, shroom, I already know your answer. At least your position is more internally consistent than most others. (Doesn't mean it's right though.)
    It's all God's will until it's all your fault.

    Current ignore list: JimD, De Maria, Agape, smoky, jmldn2

  9. #198
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nuneaton
    Posts
    7,846
    Thanks
    943
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,309 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
    How so? Adam sinned so everybody has to suffer? Rather, blame the sloppy creator of such an imperfect thing.


    How do you envisage a world without sin or evil? If it could exist...

    There would be no free will.

    You would be a perfect slave.

    But, on the positive, like a hen in a coop, you would know no difference so I guess you would be happy.

    Richard Gillett

    PS- When Christ returns... hmmm. I guess that mean no free will. Alright if it is your choice, which would explain why those who choose otherwise are not invited. Perhaps Heaven on earth is really Hell? To be sure, I do not fancy it: all that eating, sleeping and other mundane stuff... for eternity. IMO Heaven is to be with God. (period)
    I am an unworthy servant. But someone had to stand up and be counted.

  10. #199
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    34,614
    Thanks
    4,488
    Thanked 5,770 Times in 4,824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yehushuan View Post
    Yet what do you define these teachings to be? Some limit them to the four New Testament gospels, some include the entire New Testament, while others include the Entire Bible. Some exclude the Mosaic Law but consider the Ten Commandments to be Jesus' teaching.
    This question reminds one very much of the "and just who is my neighbor" response. Did you mean to sound like that guy when challenged to love your neighbor as yourself? Probably not.
    It doesn't do anyone good to say, "Follow Jesus' teachings" and then not be able to clarify precisely what they are.
    I have never met anyone who wanted to follow Jesus' teaching who had no idea what that was and could not find out.
    And if one knows there are not only errors, but factional disputes of fundamental doctrine (cf. Acts 15) upon what, then, is one to base one's "clarity" if it's all muddled into brown when mixed together?
    Relationship with the living God and his personal instructions. We don't have a rule book. We have a father.
    PS: Was Jesus such a bad teacher of the 12 that God had to send along another, namely Paul, to set everybody else straight?
    Never heard that criticism. None of the first century believers would have thought that either. I think you misunderstand his teaching method.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

  11. #200
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,792
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 323 Times in 303 Posts

    Default

    Dot wrote: I have never met anyone who wanted to follow Jesus' teaching who had no idea what that was and could not find out....
    Relationship with the living God and his personal instructions. We don't have a rule book. We have a father.
    Dear dot,
    If one does not know what the teachings of Yeshua are, how is one to "clarify precisely what they are", and how does one know they would want to follow that teaching, if they are uncertain what it actually is? If it is so precise, then instead of your subjective definition, can you give an objective answer to as what that teaching was? P2 redefines "sin", and you redefine the everything else. As for having a father, 1 John 3:8 says it best, 'the one who practices sin is of the devil".

Page 20 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •