Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Asking JWs to describe the "a god" they insist is there

Blog Entries

Default Asking JWs to describe the "a god" they insist is there

Since you JWs refuse to accept "the Word was with God and God was the Word" but insist that the indefinate article is there, that is, "a god," I was hoping some of you might be willing to go into detail as to what that particular god is like. If the Word was "a god" that means it is a second, at least, god. What does your Governing Body tell you about this god?

Now I suppose that you could make this thread really short and simply say that Jesus is the a god. He is another god. There is more than one god. Polytheism, in a word, is what the GB teaches in that case. Many gods. So is Jesus simply another god? Are there more out there? Do they come by being born gods? If so, why did Jesus refer to the "One True" if he himself was a god? Was He saying there is "one true" and the rest, including himself, is false?

Saying the Word is "a god" opens up a can of worms, doesn't it? Maybe we can explore it. Now mind you, we are not discussing "a god" or "was God" so don't give me the GB lecture on the Greek. We are granting you the "a god" status and asking for some details. If there is more than one god, what can you add?
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

If you will simply follow me through the 5 Lessons I told you about, we will get to the idea of 'a god/gods' in Scripture (second lesson I believe). Jumping ahead to various aspects at different times would be frustratingly confusing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger 2 View Post
    If you will simply follow me through the 5 Lessons I told you about, we will get to the idea of 'a god/gods' in Scripture (second lesson I believe). Jumping ahead to various aspects at different times would be frustratingly confusing.
    No, it is a legimate question or these are legimate questions and I will not be led away down the garden path towards the goal you have in mind. Simply answer these questions as asked. I do not see how answers can be confusing. I know the scripture deviations away from the logical outcome of your position, chaff it is called, so answering direct questions can be cleverly avoided.

Who is the "a god" refered to in the JW position on John 1:1?
    Are there many more such gods?
    If Jesus refered to a One True God, does that make himself false?

I did not get these anywhere but simply took the JW theology and thought about it this morning. If there is "a god" besides the One True, then this is the logical outcome. Step out the JW limited box and think about these logical conclusions. If "a god" is right, then these questions need to be answered.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Already answered in the first 2 lessons on this site. More to come.

Blog Entries

Tigger, I also know the Mormon theology. They believe in many gods and can become gods. (Sounds just like the serpent as it is from the serpent.)
    ------------------------

Blog Entries

Already answered in the first 2 lessons on this site. More to come.
    If you do not answer my open and honest questions yourself but instead insist I read something someone else wrote, then we are not having a conversation with one another. A good teacher explains the inquiry. A bad teacher tells the other to look it up. Don't you know your material well enough to explain it?

Reminds me of a used car salesman. Deflects questions by insisting on going through his spiel so that by the time that is done, the question, hopefully, is forgotten as it is embarassing.
    ------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    Since you JWs refuse to accept "the Word was with God and God was the Word" but insist that the indefinate article is there, that is, "a god," I was hoping some of you might be willing to go into detail as to what that particular god is like. If the Word was "a god" that means it is a second, at least, god. What does your Governing Body tell you about this god?

Now I suppose that you could make this thread really short and simply say that Jesus is the a god. He is another god. There is more than one god. Polytheism, in a word, is what the GB teaches in that case. Many gods. So is Jesus simply another god? Are there more out there? Do they come by being born gods? If so, why did Jesus refer to the "One True" if he himself was a god? Was He saying there is "one true" and the rest, including himself, is false?

Saying the Word is "a god" opens up a can of worms, doesn't it? Maybe we can explore it. Now mind you, we are not discussing "a god" or "was God" so don't give me the GB lecture on the Greek. We are granting you the "a god" status and asking for some details. If there is more than one god, what can you add?
    31 The Jews picked up stones again to stone him.
    32 Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?”
    33 The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.”
    34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’?
    35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken
    36 do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

Ex 7:1 And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.

Jesus, and obviously the apostles at least, understood exactly what was meant when calling someone "god" or "God."

Moses was not God, nor were any of those "he called them gods to whom the word of God came."

So, when John 1:1 says of the Word "god" or "a god" it is very clear.

When it says "God" it is heresy.

John was quite clear that there is only One True God, identified by Jesus in John 17:3 as the Father, and in John 1:1, John identifies Him by the use of the personal article.

"a" is quite irrelevant, and can be omitted. The "G" is relevant and should be "g".
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    If you do not answer my open and honest questions yourself but instead insist I read something someone else wrote, then we are not having a conversation with one another. A good teacher explains the inquiry. A bad teacher tells the other to look it up. Don't you know your material well enough to explain it?

Reminds me of a used car salesman. Deflects questions by insisting on going through his spiel so that by the time that is done, the question, hopefully, is forgotten as it is embarassing.
    If you are going to call me a liar, you have already decided to end it without any examination at all! I may be mistaken at times, but I never lie! When I say "Dottie, I have done my own independent study concerning the trinity before I became convinced that it was false" you can believe it! Apparently you don't!

I'll continue my "Five Studies" without you, but am sorry you won't examine it.

If you are going to call me a liar, you have already decided to end it without any examination at all! I may be mistaken at times, but I never lie! When I say "Dottie, I have done my own independent study concerning the trinity before I became convinced that it was false" you can believe it! Apparently you don't!

I'll continue my "Five Studies" without you, but am sorry you won't examine it.
    She doesn't want a grammar lesson. She conceded the point to begin with.
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by An Onymous Brother View Post
    31 The Jews picked up stones again to stone him.
    32 Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?”
    33 The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.”
    34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’?
    35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken
    36 do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

Ex 7:1 And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.

Jesus, and obviously the apostles at least, understood exactly what was meant when calling someone "god" or "God."

Moses was not God, nor were any of those "he called them gods to whom the word of God came."

So, when John 1:1 says of the Word "god" or "a god" it is very clear.

When it says "God" it is heresy.

John was quite clear that there is only One True God, identified by Jesus in John 17:3 as the Father, and in John 1:1, John identifies Him by the use of the personal article.

"a" is quite irrelevant, and can be omitted. The "G" is relevant and should be "g".
    Jesus is the god, I gather.
    Are there more gods out there?
    Is Jesus a false god then since he refered to the One True? Means others have to false. Does that include himself?

What is very clear is that no apostle thought JW theology. Not the writers of the passage where he calls himself God/Son of God nor anyone who read it until many centuries later where the idea of Jesus being God was repugnant. And Ancient Greek did not have caps and small case. Caps and small case were developed around the 7th century. Sorry, no god. Just GOD.
    ------------------------

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast