Page 1 of 121 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What exactly is the Word of God?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 4,294,967,295 Posts

Default What exactly is the Word of God?

Is the Bible is the sole objective source of all God has given us about Himself and His plan for humanity?

Is the Bible Godís infallible Word?

Psalm 12:6
    6 The words of the LORD are pure words,
    like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times.

Psalm 19:7 7 The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul;
    the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple

Proverbs 30:5
    5 Every word of God proves true;
    he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

Hebrews 4:12
    12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

2 Timothy 3:16Ė17 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

I for one believe every scripture quoted above.
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmldn2 For This Useful Post:

Dottie (05-11-2017), jig (05-10-2017)

Thanks

question 1 no, question 2 yes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    Is the Bible is the sole objective source of all God has given us about Himself and His plan for humanity?

Is the Bible God’s infallible Word?

12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

2 Timothy 3:16–17 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,165 Times in 4,029 Posts
    Blog Entries

How could it be? It's two thousand years old.

Is the Bible Godís infallible Word?
    What does that even mean?

Infallible - adj - incapable of making mistakes or being wrong.

Since the bible has mistakes and is wrong, then by definition it can't be God's infallible word. No snarkiness intented, just truth.
    For when nothing can be as it is, then whatever is turns into nothing. Yehushuan

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip For This Useful Post:

hayden (06-27-2017), sealchan (05-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,770 Times in 4,824 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is the Bible God’s infallible Word?

2 Timothy 3:16–17 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

No where does it say "infallible." That is likely a standard sold to the church so it can be used to discredit the Bible altogether. It is best to stick to just what the Bible says of itself. It never says "infallible." It is useful for the purposes described. That is what I believe of the Bible. Does not have to be infallible for me. Just is true.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dottie For This Useful Post:

03cobra (05-10-2017), sealchan (05-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    No where does it say "infallible." That is likely a standard sold to the church so it can be used to discredit the Bible altogether. It is best to stick to just what the Bible says of itself. It never says "infallible." It is useful for the purposes described. That is what I believe of the Bible. Does not have to be infallible for me. Just is true.
    Dear dot,
    And where did you get your degree in double mindedness? If your "bible" is "true", how can it be fallible. I think your stumbling blocks are many, but in this case, I am thinking that your "scripture", your bible, is not the "Word of God". If you read Mt 13, you will find that the "evil one", the "enemy", planted the tare seed among the "good seed". Apparently, the "many" have nailed the "good seed" to the cross, and have jumped on the band wagon supporting the tare seed. That path may be "wide", but apparently it has many twist, and "many" followers (Mt 7:13). Your NT bible, the "field", has both the tare seed and the good seed planted among it's pages. The tare seeds outnumber the good seeds.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 4,294,967,295 Posts

Definition of infallible- Merriam Webster

: incapable of error : unerring an infallible memory

: not liable to mislead, deceive, or disappoint : certain an infallible remedy

: incapable of error in defining doctrines touching faith or morals

The word itself may not be written in the bible. The above definitions seem to make it clear.

I find the Bible to be true - not deceiving - not wrong - certain.
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The word itself may not be written in the bible. The above definitions seem to make it clear.

I find the Bible to be true - not deceiving - not wrong - certain.
    OK, but what about the actual errors, mistakes, and places in the bible where it is wrong?
    For when nothing can be as it is, then whatever is turns into nothing. Yehushuan

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I mean, we have the Internet now. How many bible believers have researched the errors in the bible?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think that many people don't look into it because they don't wish to believe the bible does have errors. It's just like the time I pointed out that some of the Laws of Moses came from the earlier Babylonian Code of Hammurabi. Bible believers won't read the code of Hammurabi. So, I mean, that kind of ends the discussion because you can't speak to something you know nothing about.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip For This Useful Post:

sealchan (05-12-2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I think that many people don't look into it because they don't wish to believe the bible does have errors. It's just like the time I pointed out that some of the Laws of Moses came from the earlier Babylonian Code of Hammurabi. Bible believers won't read the code of Hammurabi. So, I mean, that kind of ends the discussion because you can't speak to something you know nothing about.
    Extremely bad assumptions on your part.

And, the Bible also covers it, anyway (in this case).

12 For as many as have sinned without the law shall also perish without the law: and as many as have sinned under the law shall be judged by the law;
    13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified;
    14 (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves;
    15 in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them);
    16 in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men, according to my gospel, by Jesus Christ.

It is just proof that God's Law is somewhat universal, which it should be, since the effects of eating the fruit affect all of Adam's children, and right is right/wrong is wrong.
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

Page 1 of 121 1231151101 ... LastLast