Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Post Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

-
    1Cor 14:39 . .Do not forbid speaking in tongues.

That rule applies only to people who actually have the gift of tongues because according to Rom 12:4, 1Cor 12:10-11, 1Cor 12:29-30, and 1Cor 14:5 not everyone does.

/

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Post Re: Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

-
    According to Acts 2:4-11, the gift of tongues is supposed to enable the giftees to be heard in a variety of honest to gosh, real-life languages.

/
    Last edited by Niyoe'es:ah; 05-07-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

-
    1Cor 14:27a . . If anyone speaks in a tongue, two-- or at the most three --should speak; one at a time

People with the gift of tongues are not permitted to speak all at the same time like a mob of howling political activists. That just simply isn't permitted in church.

1Cor 14:23 . . So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand, or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

One of the reasons why I get so annoyed by talk shows like Kathy Lee Gifford and Hoda Kodb, and ABC's The View is because everyone talks all at once like a bunch of undisciplined dogs barking and yapping in a kennel. And the way they interrupt each other back and forth before the other can even finish a sentence is one of the very things we teach children not to do. You'd think those supposedly mature adults grew up without supervision the way they conduct themselves in a conversation.

People with the gift of tongues are to take turns; speaking one at a time, rather than an entire congregation of tonguers barking and yapping like dogs in a kennel whenever they "feel the Spirit" moving them.

FYI: The fruit of the Spirit is self control (Gal 5:23). People claiming to feel the Spirit really ought not to behave like a cage full of excited monkeys.

1Cor 14:33 . . For God is not a God of disorder but of calm.

/

Thanks

the gift was only rebuked in the Corinthian church for it misuse, any today that claims this is listening to doctrines of demons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Niyoe'es:ah View Post
    -
    1Cor 14:27a . . If anyone speaks in a tongue, two-- or at the most three --should speak; one at a time

People with the gift of tongues are not permitted to speak all at the same time like a mob of howling political activists. That just simply isn't permitted in church.

1Cor 14:23 . . So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand, or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

One of the reasons why I get so annoyed by talk shows like Kathy Lee Gifford and Hoda Kodb, and ABC's The View is because everyone talks all at once like a bunch of undisciplined dogs barking and yapping in a kennel. And the way they interrupt each other back and forth before the other can even finish a sentence is one of the very things we teach children not to do. You'd think those supposedly mature adults grew up without supervision the way they conduct themselves in a conversation.

People with the gift of tongues are to take turns; speaking one at a time, rather than an entire congregation of tonguers barking and yapping like dogs in a kennel whenever they "feel the Spirit" moving them.

FYI: The fruit of the Spirit is self control (Gal 5:23). People claiming to feel the Spirit really ought not to behave like a cage full of excited monkeys.

1Cor 14:33 . . For God is not a God of disorder but of calm.

/

Thanks
    Blog Entries

-
    1 Cor 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

That's just it. God only knows what's coming out of the tonguer's mouth-- they might even be cussing! I should think that's at least one of the reasons why people ought to pray in a language they understand.

A charismatic once informed me that he prayed in a tongue because he couldn't express his deepest feelings any other way. Mind you this was an American adult of almost fifty years old; educated in America and spoke, wrote, and read English his entire life. So I asked him how it is that his command of the English language was so poor that he could only express his thoughts in a language that not even he himself could either identify or understand?

1Cor 14:14-15 . . For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

ps: My charismatic friend should to try expressing love for his wife in a tongue and see how she feels about it.

/

Thanks
    Blog Entries

-
    1Cor 13:8-10 . .Whether there be tongues, they shall cease; yada, yada, yada, yada.

God introduced tongues during the Tower Of Babel incident recorded in Gen 11:1-9. He did that to break up world unification. Apparently it was God's judgment that world unification in those days was not a good thing. Well; the language barrier remains in place today; so I'm assuming that world unification in our day is still not a good thing.

In other words: today's world is an imperfect world. But according to 2Pet 3:1-13 and the 21st chapter of Revelation, a new world order is on its way; a perfect world that can be trusted with global unification so there will be no need for a control measure to thwart an all-out proliferation of evil.

But until that perfect world is up and running, there will continue to be a need for the gift of tongues so that Jesus' followers can fulfill his edict to "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to everyone everywhere." and to "Teach them all things whatsoever I have commanded you."

/

Thanks
    Blog Entries

-
    1Cor 14:4 . . He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself,

The above is true of someone with the actual gift of tongues only after they've first obtained the ability to understand the strange words coming out of their mouth.

1Cor 14:13-15 . . Anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.

But seriously, I don't think the gift of tongues was ever meant for people's personal use anyway; rather, for outreach.

1Cor 14:22 . .Tongues are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers

The sign becomes quite ineffective when the tongue being spoken isn't familiar to the audience.

1Cor 14:23-25 . . So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

The conclusion to draw is that the gift of tongues should be put to use sensibly and intelligently.

/
    Last edited by Niyoe'es:ah; 05-11-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

-
    Here's an example of a sensible, practical use of tongues.

Rev 14:6-7 . . I saw another angel flying through the sky, carrying the everlasting gospel to preach to the people who dwell on the earth-- to every nation, tribe, language, and people. Fear God! he shouted. Give glory to Him! For the time has come when He will sit as judge. Worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all the springs of water!

The everlasting gospel is very elementary. Pretty much all it says to everyone who hears it is:

1• There's a supreme being.

2• He deserves respect.

3• There's a frightful reckoning looming on the horizon, and

4• The cosmos-- all of its forms of life, matter, and energy --is the product of intelligent design.

Giving "glory" to God simply indicates giving someone credit where credit is due; and "worship" basically just simply means admiration.

It's quite natural to admire celebrities, pro athletes, and super achievers-- to give them credit where credit is due --but not quite so natural to do the same for their creator.

Anyway, point being: the angel's message will be intelligible to everyone who hears him no matter what language they speak and/or understand. Modern tonguers would do well to use their gift in like manner instead of only blowing bubbles all the time.

/

Thanks
    Blog Entries

-
    1Cor 14:1 . .Eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.

The koiné Greek word for "prophecy" is propheteuo (prof-ate-yoo'-o) which primarily means to foretell events, but it also means to speak under inspiration; for example: Old Testament's prophets spoke under inspiration about Christ. (1Pet 1:10-11)

Abel was a prophet (Luke 11:50-51) and so was Abraham (Gen 20:7). I think it's fairly safe to assume that both of those men, at some time in their lives, spoke under inspiration about Christ.

Modern prophets speak under inspiration about Christ. (Rev 19:10)

Speaking under inspiration about Christ is far and away more valuable than the gift of tongues, for example:

1Cor 14:22-25 . . If the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"

In other words: tonguers can actually drive people away from Christ.

John 6:44 . . No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him

The Father's primary tool of choice for drawing people to Christ isn't tongues, no, it's prophecy;

1Cor 1:21 . . It pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Noah was a preacher (2Pet 2:5). Had enough of the antediluvians listened to him, they might have averted the Flood.

In the very early days of Jesus' church, tonguers were useful to Christ for propagating his message because people heard the tonguers speaking honest to gosh, real-life languages that audiences understood. But in our day and age, tonguers typically don't speak honest to gosh real-life languages but instead blather. As a result, tonguers are looked upon with the same disdain as those that hurl themselves in the aisle, faint, scream, shout, and/or dance with rattlesnakes.

In other words: tonguers are usually dismissed as kooks. Well; not too many sensible people care to accommodate kooks so I highly recommend speaking about Christ with an intelligible language. Here in my country, English is a good choice because most people can understand it without requiring the services of a translator.

/
    Last edited by Niyoe'es:ah; 05-19-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,536 Times in 4,577 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niyoe'es:ah View Post
    -
    1Cor 14:39 . .Do not forbid speaking in tongues.

That rule applies only to people who actually have the gift of tongues because according to Rom 12:4, 1Cor 12:10-11, 1Cor 12:29-30, and 1Cor 14:5 not everyone does.

/
    Every Christian has the gift of holy spirit, and therefore has the ability to manifest that spirit, and one of the ways to manifest the spirit is to speak in tongues. God want's every Christian to speak in tongues (1 Cor 14:5).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast