Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do creationists say about "Old Tjikko"?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Question What do creationists say about "Old Tjikko"?

Does the existence of things older than 6000 years disprove the doctrine/dogma of an "inerrant Bible"?

Old Tjikko is estimated to be at least 9,550 years old,[2] making it the world's oldest known Norway spruce. It stands 5 metres (16 ft) tall and is located on Fulufjället Mountain of Dalarna province in Sweden.[3] For thousands of years, the tree appeared in a stunted shrub formation (also known as a krummholz formation) due to the harsh extremes of the environment in which it lives. During the warming of the 20th century, the tree sprouted into a normal tree formation. The man who discovered the tree, Leif Kullman (Professor of Physical Geography at Umeå University), attributed this growth spurt to global warming and gave the tree its nickname "Old Tjikko" after his late dog.[3]
    The tree has survived for so long due to vegetative cloning. The visible tree is relatively young, but it is part of an older root system that dates back thousands of years. The trunk of the tree may die and regrow multiple times, but the tree's root system remains intact and in turn sprouts another trunk. The trunk may only live for about 600 years, and when one trunk dies another eventually grows back in its place.[4] Also, each winter, heavy snow may push the tree's low-lying branches to ground level, where they take root and survive to grow again the next year[1] in a process known as layering. Layering occurs when a tree's branch comes in contact with the earth, and new roots sprout from the contact point. Other trees, such as coast redwoods and western redcedars are known to reproduce by layering.[5]The tree's age was determined by carbon-14 dating of the root system, which found roots dating back to 375, 5,660, 9,000, and 9,550 years. Carbon dating is not accurate enough to pin down the exact year the tree sprouted from seed; but, given the estimated age, the tree is supposed to have sprouted around 7550 BC. For comparison, the invention of writing (and thus, the beginning of recorded history) did not occur until around 4000 BC. Researchers have found a cluster of around 20 spruce trees in the same area, all over 8,000 years old.[6][7]
    Trees much older than 10,000 years would be practically impossible in Sweden, because until around 11,000 years ago the area was in the grip of a world-wide ice age.[4] Nature conservancy authorities considered putting a fence around the tree to protect it from possible vandals or trophy hunters.[8]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Tjikko
    It's a wonderful life

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruminator View Post
    Does the existence of things older than 6000 years disprove the doctrine/dogma of an "inerrant Bible"?
    Lief discovered a tree.

Reality can be very amusing sometimes.
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to An Onymous Brother For This Useful Post:

Ruminator (05-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by An Onymous Brother View Post
    Lief discovered a tree.

Reality can be very amusing sometimes.

The yecs will point to "estimate". Anything that does not fit is wrong.

Yecs are sott of funny, somtimes.

Reality is funny, of not, depending on whose pov is held up
    to ridicule.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taikoo View Post
    The yecs will point to "estimate". Anything that does not fit is wrong.

Yecs are sott of funny, somtimes.

Reality is funny, of not, depending on whose pov is held up
    to ridicule.
    I think the same is true for humans in general, but I know what you are saying.
    It's a wonderful life

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Only CHURCHianity is dumb enough to believe the Earth is that young; the Earth already existed before the Creative Days began- and there was yet no sun to form the 24-hour days until later....
    The INSANITY of CHURCHianity! Unequaled in All Religion.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theQuestion View Post
    Only CHURCHianity is dumb enough to believe the Earth is that young; the Earth already existed before the Creative Days began- and there was yet no sun to form the 24-hour days until later....
    Hi, the,

So are you saying that while the earth is older than 6500 years, the tree could not be any older?
    It's a wonderful life

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Putting words in my mouth again?
    What church do you go to?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theQuestion View Post
    Putting words in my mouth again?
    What church do you go to?
    Sorry, I was not trying to put words in your mouth. I like to indicate what I *think* you are saying (and/or reasonable corollaries thereof) to allow you to either affirm or correct what I've "heard".

Church? What's a "church" (scripturally speaking)?
    It's a wonderful life

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I was not trying to put words in your mouth. I like to indicate what I *think* you are saying (and/or reasonable corollaries thereof) to allow you to either affirm or correct what I've "heard".

Church? What's a "church" (scripturally speaking)?
    Two definitions: churchese (in the Dictionary)... and scriptural
    If you say you are going to church this Sunday- will anyone ANYWHERE be thinking it's to a Kingdom Hall?

Thanks

As the article says "The trunk of the tree may die and regrow multiple times, but the tree's root system remains intact and in turn sprouts another trunk." and "The tree's age was determined by carbon-14 dating of the root system, . . . " (emphasis added), I think the more important question is -

"What is this new 'carbon-14 dating' method that can date live organic matter?"

Have a good day!
    Still small

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast