Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gods and such

Default Gods and such

I've read atheists state that while Christians don't believe in any gods except for the Judeo-Christian one, atheists don't believe in that one either, so there's not really such a very big difference.

Well they are wrong.

To believe in any god requires the ability to believe in the supernatural, and that being the case I can well understand why some Christians believe that other gods are indeed real, but that they are demonic rather than divine.

And that makes me wonder: what else is it reasonable to think is real?

Folk lore around the world is populated by a host of beings which have non-human powers and which sometimes allow themselves to be seen but usually don't.

In the UK and Ireland are leprechauns, pixies, elves, boggarts and goblins (and perhaps some more) - so are these real - or are they imagined?

Can a distinction be made between the two sorts (real and imagined) and if so, how and where is it to be drawn?
    "True ignorance is not the absence of knowledge, but the refusal to acquire it."Karl K. Popper

Bumping this 'coz I am interested in where those who believe in God, angels and demons draw the line.

(Or have there been no takers because there is no line, and the OP makes no sense?)
    "True ignorance is not the absence of knowledge, but the refusal to acquire it."Karl K. Popper

my addressing this is to be a one timer, most don't believe in CHRIST of GOD, and GOD the SON because when they don't believe, there a death sentence that posted. Their death sentence put them in hell forever. I tried posting this else where but the devils cried out so there was a partial deletion.I wonder to those who are radicalized in unbelief of THE LIVING CHRIST is it worth it to be damned to hell??

To believe in any god requires the ability to believe in the supernatural, and that being the case I can well understand why some Christians believe that other gods are indeed real, but that they are demonic rather than divine. stephen

I believe in one God, the Creator. He is Spirit. Yes, His works can be construed supernatural. Yes, I believe the existence of angels, demons, and Satan.

Yes, I believe there is a supernatural, spirit world.

What do you mean about where believers of the above, "draw the line."
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    I believe in one God, the Creator. He is Spirit. Yes, His works can be construed supernatural. Yes, I believe the existence of angels, demons, and Satan.

Yes, I believe there is a supernatural, spirit world.

What do you mean about where believers of the above, "draw the line."

I mean this: "In the UK and Ireland are leprechauns, pixies, elves, boggarts and goblins (and perhaps some more) - so are these real - or are they imagined?"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post

I mean this: "In the UK and Ireland are leprechauns, pixies, elves, boggarts and goblins (and perhaps some more) - so are these real - or are they imagined?"

Not to me.

I don't see the comparison. Do you believe in any kind of spiritual world?
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

I just read about THIS recently and it kinda freaked me out. This isn't a story, it's real and measureable. It really got me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfKC View Post
    I just read about THIS recently and it kinda freaked me out. This isn't a story, it's real and measureable. It really got me thinking.

It was theorized to exist, many years ago. It took some doing to to demonstrate
    since it interactx so weakly with "our" matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    Not to me.

I don't see the comparison. Do you believe in any kind of spiritual world?
    No.

I think that what people experience and interpret as immaterial entities, or as an immaterial presence, are effects created in the mind by physical/material phenomena.

They are given an interpretation which is culturally conditioned.

So people who are brought up in a culture which speaks of angels and demons may have experiences in which they see or encounter angels and demons.

If the culture speaks of leprechauns, then leprechauns are what people will see (or hear, or sense).

I have come across people who believe in fairies; I knew one - a scholarly, middle-aged gentleman who was a lecturer in an institute of further education. And when I wrote a newspaper article about how the famous Cottingley Fairies and had been debunked by James Randi, the paper received a number of angry letters from readers denouncing me for my cynicism.

Recently I heard a radio programme about people working in a science lab who were overcome by a sense of dread when they entered one particular room which was soon reputed to be haunted.
    Some people were so unnerved, they had to hurry out and would make any excuse not to return.

Eventually it was discovered that a piece of equipment was emitting extremely low sound waves - so low as not to be audible - but when it was turned off, people going into the room experienced nothing untoward at all.
    Last edited by Stephen T-B; 04-23-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Blog Entries

I've read atheists state that while Christians don't believe in any gods except for the Judeo-Christian one, atheists don't believe in that one either, so there's not really such a very big difference.

Well they are wrong.

To believe in any god requires the ability to believe in the supernatural, and that being the case I can well understand why some Christians believe that other gods are indeed real, but that they are demonic rather than divine.

Folk lore around the world is populated by a host of beings which have non-human powers and which sometimes allow themselves to be seen but usually don't.

In the UK and Ireland are leprechauns, pixies, elves, boggarts and goblins (and perhaps some more) - so are these real - or are they imagined?

Can a distinction be made between the two sorts (real and imagined) and if so, how and where is it to be drawn?
    The OP makes sense but I do not see how an atheist is going to be able to make the distinction. As you admit, you do not believe in the supernatural as makes sense from your stated position. That is, you are being consistent. (There are those who deny the existance of God but believe in the spiritual world anyway. That makes no sense. You are not one of those.)

But as you do not see or sense or have any knowledge of that world, how are you going to know any particulars of that world? We who believe in it have a hard time sometimes knowing whether spiritual beings are involved in some matters or not. How shall we being to tell you who thinks it all bunk how one is to discern the sublties of the differences?

I can tell you that I am very convinced demons are there and active. I do not believe there are fairies or leprechans or pixies or goblins as described in myths. Demons, interestingly enough, are not described in myths that I can think of. In any case, the answer to your post is difficult for Christians to explain and even understand in real life in many cases. Those who can do so are more mature in Christ and move in these things. I think someone involved in the occult can possibly tell you more but their view might not reflect the truth in all cases. But I have heard testimony from ex-occult practicers of those arts and they know demons are real. They do not talk of fairies and what not.

Sorry I wandered around in my answer. The subject is difficult to express and no atheist that I can recall ever asked this question, which I think is rather intelligent.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast