Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gods and such

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post
    I've read atheists state that while Christians don't believe in any gods except for the Judeo-Christian one, atheists don't believe in that one either, so there's not really such a very big difference.

Well they are wrong.

To believe in any god requires the ability to believe in the supernatural, and that being the case I can well understand why some Christians believe that other gods are indeed real, but that they are demonic rather than divine.

And that makes me wonder: what else is it reasonable to think is real?

Folk lore around the world is populated by a host of beings which have non-human powers and which sometimes allow themselves to be seen but usually don't.

In the UK and Ireland are leprechauns, pixies, elves, boggarts and goblins (and perhaps some more) - so are these real - or are they imagined?

Can a distinction be made between the two sorts (real and imagined) and if so, how and where is it to be drawn?
    As far as my experience has shown me, demons are real. Perhaps that is one reason I turned back from atheism.

Of course, I freely admit it could have been my previous beliefs that induced me interpret those events as supernatural, but I can only live within my own perceptions of reality.

Living in earthquake zones could account for low-frequency sound-induced effects, just the right illumination for "red-eye", etc., etc., etc. But being aware of all those and accounting for them still gave me the impressions of what I was dealing with on those occasions, and seeing the ouiji board thingy move while no one is touching it is quite disturbing. Yes, I could just blindly recite the mantra "There is a normal, rational explanation" over and over and ignore what I experienced, but that seems just as religious, if just in another direction.

So, then you get into paranormal pseudo-science to explain the weird stuff you can do, which, of course, is never anything cool like telekinesis, just prescience about nothing useful but for freaking out people, and try to live by ignoring the constant reminders of putting your hand on the phone, but intentionally not picking it up until after it rings, standing next to the interphone and not buzzing the complex door open until after the chime sounds, and such. There might be "natural, rational explanations" for all of that, I admit, but, having found none after intensive looking basically pointed me in the direction of the supernatural. I even used to be able to dowse for water, to the relief of several people looking for leaky pipes in our old "mini-farms" community.

It came from Mom's side of the family from what she has told me. My dad (atheist) never believed in any of that stuff until I started finding broken pipes with two coat hangers in minutes, then he started looking for those "natural, rational explanations" for how I did it (he is the one who actually recommended I try it, sort of as a joke).

My ex was so freaked out after 9/11 she (a Buddhist) spent a small fortune trying to get shamans to "uncurse" me. Didn't work. Amazing how getting up in the middle of the night because you know you have to turn on CNN because something bad is happening, just in time to see the second plane crashing live into the building, or how a tsunami is wiping out the coastlines along the Indian ocean, and such stuff will freak people out. Mind you, I do believe in coincidences, but after hundreds of such incidents, I need to look beyond that. As I said, useless prescience good for nothing but freaking people out.

Once I dedicated myself to God, it all stopped.

And I am quite thankful. My middle daughter was also beginning to show the effects, but that has also stopped since me and my wife have dedicated ourselves to God, and now she sleeps through the night peacefully.

Bible tells me that is one main way demons deceive people. I believe, seeing how my life has become much more peaceful.

This also tells me that the mythology of other folklore could just as easily be demonic influence, and having lived in many different countries, I have experienced their effects in all of them.

But now I sleep in peace.
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to An Onymous Brother For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (04-24-2017)

Thanks

I've had plenty of super natural experiences but in the light of day with a bit of investigation all had a perfectly reasonable explanation. The hardest to work out were footsteps of a night time on the verandah of a farm house I lived in with some friends, we'd go out to look and the footsteps would stop. Everyone was convinced it was a ghost but it turned out to be a dog playing with a tennis ball, she'd pick it up and drop it, confiscating the ball got rid of the ghost.
    And the officer said, "better get a lawyer son, better get a real good one".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John53 View Post
    I've had plenty of super natural experiences but in the light of day with a bit of investigation all had a perfectly reasonable explanation. The hardest to work out were footsteps of a night time on the verandah of a farm house I lived in with some friends, we'd go out to look and the footsteps would stop. Everyone was convinced it was a ghost but it turned out to be a dog playing with a tennis ball, she'd pick it up and drop it, confiscating the ball got rid of the ghost.
    And if you had run like hell before discovering the mystery you'd probably still think it was a ghost. lol

Thanks
    Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 4,294,967,295 Posts

Never had a particular supernatural experience but that does not mean there is no supernatural. I believe in a spiritual realm.
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,509 Times in 1,162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    Never had a particular supernatural experience but that does not mean there is no supernatural. I believe in a spiritual realm.
    Do you think all the supernatural entities people speak of are real?
    Never underestimate the power of unreason to overwhelm reason

Thanks
    Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 4,294,967,295 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post
    Do you think all the supernatural entities people speak of are real?
    No. I do not. I as well do not believe all the TV supernatural programs on today either.
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12