Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Threads I've seen lately are from an atheist.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 4,294,967,295 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post
    Why is it so hard for believers to understand that atheists are atheists because they see no evidence that the gods which believers believe in have any reality outside their own heads?

Atheists see no evidence in God. I take them at their word. They do not have to explain to me why they see no evidence.

I'm a believer, because I do see evidence, experience God in my heart/soul and I shouldn't have to explain it either.
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I don't understand how you think the accounts of God killing people or the reasons offered are reliable.
    I don't understand how you think God has no right to take the lives He gave people without giving them any explanation at all.

Well, I do. If you begin with the assumption that the bible is an accurate and divine record, you may come to that conclusion. However, when you consider what the New Testament says about Gods nature, then even that should call the accounts into question.
    The NT tells us how we should view OT judgment.

One thing is certain. Either two different Gods are being described, or the one true Gods nature has changed over time. Both options being contradicted by the bible itself...so that's theologically problematic to say the least.
    I would cite how Jesus will judge the living and the dead, but you know this well already. Many speak of justice, but will want nothing to do with it when Jesus hands it out.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missy View Post
    What? Are you trying to justify murdering a baby?
    No. I'm justifying the resurrection.

When was the last time a mother murdered her baby and raised it back to life?
    Never that I know of, but you're the one comparing what a mother can't do to what God can do.

Would that make her less evil?
    If she was the Judge of all humanity, absolutely. You're using the same deceptive argument Rogerh tried to make. Point out that God takes life, but ignore He replaces it with a much better one.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    Well the way I see it and the reason I began a thread on it was the character of a human being - the value of a human being should be our focus. God made everyone, believer and unbeliever. God loves every human being no matter what. IMHO that is why I believe God is grieved when anyone turns away from Him, does not believe in Him, does not accept Him.

However, that commandment to show love, grace, help to our neighbor is next to the great commandment to love God with all your heart, mind, and soul. It is not my place to go into the ring with an atheist nor anyone else about God. It is not my place to do what only the Holy Spirit can do.

It is my responsibility to live my conviction to the best of my ability and not to sit in the seat of judgment on another person's soul.
    Judy, correctly portraying God as the Bible describes Him doesn't mean I sit in the judgment seat of God. Believe me sis, I'm grateful Jesus has that job and I'm sure He will be completely fair.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jig For This Useful Post:

jmldn2 (04-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,010 Times in 3,913 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jig View Post
    I don't understand how you think God has no right to take the lives He gave people without giving them any explanation at all.
    Would you like me to explain? It's simple, and I've explained it many times before....because it would violate his nature - if in fact the bible is correct in saying that God is love.
    The NT tells us how we should view OT judgment.
    It also tells us that we should use judgement.

I would cite how Jesus will judge the living and the dead, but you know this well already. Many speak of justice, but will want nothing to do with it when Jesus hands it out.
    Justice, being - giving people what they deserve....and your own theology claiming that Jesus doesn't give people what they deserve.....a tad ironic.
    For when nothing can be as it is, then whatever is turns into nothing. Yehushuan

Thanks
    Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 4,294,967,295 Posts

Judy, correctly portraying God as the Bible describes Him doesn't mean I sit in the judgment seat of God. Believe me sis, I'm grateful Jesus has that job and I'm sure He will be completely fair.
    If He were not fair, I wouldn't have stood a chance.
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Would you like me to explain? It's simple, and I've explained it many times before....because it would violate his nature - if in fact the bible is correct in saying that God is love.

Justice, being - giving people what they deserve....and your own theology claiming that Jesus doesn't give people what they deserve.....a tad ironic.
    Perfect love requires perfect justice and the gospel provides it (and I should add, it always has). You have not understood it yet.
    Sincerely, JimD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JimD For This Useful Post:

lightbearer (04-19-2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The only thing ironic is your inference that because Jesus does not now give people what they deserve, He will never give people what they deserve:

"And so I saw the wicked buried, who had come and gone from the place of the holy and they were forgotten in the city where they had so done. This is also vanity, because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily. Therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Though a sinner do evil an hundred times and his days be prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, which fear before Him, but it shall not be well with the wicked, neither shall he prolong his days, which are as a shadow, because he feareth not before God." Ecc.8:10-13

Keep misleading people into believing simply because Jesus doesn't pronounce judgment on them now, they have nothing to fear from Him later.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    If He were not fair, I wouldn't have stood a chance.
    Yes, me too...more than fair, way more praise Him!
    Last edited by jig; 04-19-2017 at 12:35 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jig For This Useful Post:

jmldn2 (04-19-2017)

Thanks

I don't know, but Rogerh is teaching that God kills people and Rogerh is an atheist.
    He's simply repeating what the bible says. Unfortunately the fact that you believe your eternal spiritual life is on the line and that makes you take it personally. It's obvious that Roger doesn't think the biblical God killed anyone because the biblical God does not exist. Calling the actions of the biblical God evil is the same as calling Voldemort evil when reading Harry Potter. And discussing isn't teaching.

I agree completely John. As a Christian, I have a responsibility to strengthen those who are weak in the faith. Roger describes himself as a "weak atheist". As a loving unbeliever, is there anything you can do to strengthen Rogers unbelief? Maybe encourage him not to make statements about the God he doesn't believe in.
    I have no responsibility to anyone in regards to theology, Roger is an adult more than capable of making his own decisions and he is far smarter than me. What someone believes is none of my business, however I enjoy discussing their beliefs with the understanding I may not agree. It's not personal it's the reason for the forum.
    And the officer said, "better get a lawyer son, better get a real good one".

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast