Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Threads I've seen lately are from an atheist.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 1,176 Posts

Why is it so hard for believers to understand that atheists are atheists because they see no evidence that the gods which believers believe in have any reality outside their own heads?
    Never underestimate the power of unreason to overwhelm reason

Thanks
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jig View Post
    What's nice from the atheist point of view is that when the Bible says God kills people the Bible is reliable, but when the Bible says why God kills people the Bible isn't reliable.
    How about the "why" doesn't matter. It's the act that is evil. Would you care why a mother killed her baby before judging her? The why is as irrelevant as the how.
    Won't you listen to reason .... Will you open your eyes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 848 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    jig, there is a difference between ignoring, not believing, any subject, not just the Bible.
    You're right sis, but please acknowledge when the Bible says God kills, it also says He raises the dead to life again.

If you were to find friendship with someone who has outstanding character and who expresses love towards others, yet you find they are an atheist, how would you witness to them?
    That depends on how much the atheist knew about the Bible.

Would it be sort of like the statement you just made?
    If the atheist knew what the Bible says, but portrayed God the way atheists here do, I'd slap him all the way down the street.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,075 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Blog Entries

What's nice from the atheist point of view is that when the Bible says God kills people the Bible is reliable, but when the Bible says why God kills people the Bible isn't reliable.
    I don't understand how you think the accounts of God killing people or the reasons offered are reliable. Well, I do. If you begin with the assumption that the bible is an accurate and divine record, you may come to that conclusion. However, when you consider what the New Testament says about Gods nature, then even that should call the accounts into question.

One thing is certain. Either two different Gods are being described, or the one true Gods nature has changed over time. Both options being contradicted by the bible itself...so that's theologically problematic to say the least.
    For when nothing can be as it is, then whatever is turns into nothing. Yehushuan

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John53 View Post
    Why on earth would an atheist teach something he doesn't believe?
    I don't know, but Rogerh is teaching that God kills people and Rogerh is an atheist.

That's ridiculous. Would be as silly as me accusing you of not teaching abiogenisis.
    I agree completely John. As a Christian, I have a responsibility to strengthen those who are weak in the faith. Roger describes himself as a "weak atheist". As a loving unbeliever, is there anything you can do to strengthen Rogers unbelief? Maybe encourage him not to make statements about the God he doesn't believe in.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John53 View Post
    Yes of course, stick to your theist method of interpreting simple words to suit your own agenda. Or if they can't be spun to make your agenda look good, call them a parable.
    The resurrection of Jesus and the promise of the coming resurrection of all mankind isn't my agenda, but Gods'. It also isn't a parable.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post
    What?
    Since atheists don't believe in any god, no atheist would believe a god kills anyone.
    You're right Stephen, so get together with John and have a talk with Roger.

Plus, the justifications given in the Bible for God's activities do not excuse their enormity.
    Stephen, if you're going to be any use to Roger, you'll have to refrain from making any statements about the God you don't believe in.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missy View Post
    How about the "why" doesn't matter. It's the act that is evil. Would you care why a mother killed her baby before judging her? The why is as irrelevant as the how.
    I understand it would be irrelevant to you if a mother raised her baby to life again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,668 Posts

I understand it would be irrelevant to you if a mother raised her baby to life again.
    What? Are you trying to justify murdering a baby? When was the last time a mother murdered her baby and raised it back to life?

Would that make her less evil?
    Won't you listen to reason .... Will you open your eyes

Thanks
    Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 4,294,967,295 Posts

You're right sis, but please acknowledge when the Bible says God kills, it also says He raises the dead to life again.

That depends on how much the atheist knew about the Bible.

If the atheist knew what the Bible says, but portrayed God the way atheists here do, I'd slap him all the way down the street.

Well the way I see it and the reason I began a thread on it was the character of a human being - the value of a human being should be our focus. God made everyone, believer and unbeliever. God loves every human being no matter what. IMHO that is why I believe God is grieved when anyone turns away from Him, does not believe in Him, does not accept Him.

However, that commandment to show love, grace, help to our neighbor is next to the great commandment to love God with all your heart, mind, and soul. It is not my place to go into the ring with an atheist nor anyone else about God. It is not my place to do what only the Holy Spirit can do.

It is my responsibility to live my conviction to the best of my ability and not to sit in the seat of judgment on another person's soul.
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast