Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Truth ???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

If this thread is going to progess we are going to have to define "truth".

Calling Jesus "the truth" is a very limiting definition.

The meaning of the word truth is relative to what is being discussed.

Stating that the earth revolves around the sun is a truth. Rather than the truth.

Perhap Pilote was not so dumb with his question...

Richard Gillett
    I am an unworthy servant. But someone had to stand up and be counted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    But please correct me if I am wrong.....how do people hate truth and love darkness instead?
    I'll provide you with the biggest example of all, which everyone here (including myself) is afraid of.
    The Lord says to trust in Him and not in Mammon, which is money; yet everyone here defends their faith in Mammon. We thus hate the truth which is the Lord, and love Mammon, which is darkness.

Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    I'll provide you with the biggest example of all, which everyone here (including myself) is afraid of.
    The Lord says to trust in Him and not in Mammon, which is money; yet everyone here defends their faith in Mammon. We thus hate the truth which is the Lord, and love Mammon, which is darkness.

Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    Still a very limited viewpoint.

There is more to truth than the love (or not) of money.

Richard Gillett

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gillett View Post
    Still a very limited viewpoint.

There is more to truth than the love (or not) of money.

Richard Gillett
    There are many examples one can provide; probably the best overall example is of those who believe in Christs/Truths Way of love, justice, and mercy, whom the Lord will acknowledge; while those who do not believe in Christ's/Truth's Way of love, justice, and mercy; He, the Truth will not accept, (Matthew 25:33-46), and claim His never having known them (Matthew 7:23).

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,658 Times in 4,729 Posts
    Blog Entries

There are many examples one can provide; probably the best overall example is of those who believe in Christs/Truths Way of love, justice, and mercy, whom the Lord will acknowledge; while those who do not believe in Christ's/Truth's Way of love, justice, and mercy; He, the Truth will not accept, (Matthew 25:33-46), and claim His never having known them (Matthew 7:23).

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
    I have always thought that it was highly significant that Jesus did not refer to them as "ye that did not believe the right stuff."
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dottie For This Useful Post:

ludwig (04-12-2017)

Thanks

Dear lud,
    One must do justice and mercy. (Micah 6:8) Those the just "believe", are those without fruit, and apparently will be cut down and burned. (Mt 3:10).

New American Standard Bible (Micah 6:8)
    He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
    Dear lud,
    One must do justice and mercy. (Micah 6:8) Those the just "believe", are those without fruit, and apparently will be cut down and burned. (Mt 3:10).

New American Standard Bible (Micah 6:8)
    He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?
    Your statement makes no sense. How can the just who believe in justice be without fruit, cut down and burned?
    They who truly believe in justice in their hearts will obviously be just, and therefore not be cut down and burned.
    You are mixing performing works of justice without believing in justice, with naturally performing works of justice due to believing in justice.
    They who do works of justice without believing in their hearts in justice, the Lord will claim never having known them (Matthew 7:22-23).

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I you think that is some sort of reprimand, think again.

You are limiting the meaning of Truth. And spiritualising it to the nth degree. There is more to truth than belief in God.

Richard Gillett

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
    According to the 3rd century 'Gospel of Philip', Christ was Nazarene; not because He was from Nazareth (this city did not exist until the 3rd century AD), but because He belonged to Nazarene religion - religion of descendants of Esau / Edom - Idumeans / Edomites, and Minaeans.

\\\\\\\\\\
    Gospel of Philip

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Philip

The Gospel of Philip is one of the Gnostic Gospels, a text of New Testament apocrypha, dated to around the 3rd century but lost in modern times until an Egyptian man rediscovered it by accident, buried in a cave near Nag Hammadi, in 1945.

\\\\\\\\\

Gospel of Philip

"47. The first Apostles called Him thus: Jesus Nazarene Messiah, that is Jesus Nazarene Christ.

The last word is Christ, the first is Jesus, in the middle — Nazarene.

The word Messiah has two meanings: Christ and King. Jesus in Hebrew means Savior.

Nazara is Truth. Nazarene is the One Who came from the Truth.

So, Christ is King. Thus, Nazarene is King and Jesus is also King."

///////////

Christ was Minaean speaking Aramaic Minaean language, and He was Nazarene, because Nazara was the religion of Minaeans (it was those people who originated production and the trade of Frankincense Oil, and the trade of Frankincense resin).

Minaeans believed in God of Love and Friendship JAH - Wadd.
    ==================

BIBLE AND SPADE - BY STEPHEN L CAIGER D B - first published at the University Press, Oxford 1936. This Edition prepared for katapi by Paul Ingram 2003.

Chapter VII: THE LAW OF MOSES
    http://www.katapi.org.uk/BAndS/ChVII.htm

THE INFLUENCE OF ARABIA

Far more readily assimilated, we may well believe, was the influence of the kindred Semitic culture of Arabia.
    Here, as the fifteenth-century Minaean inscriptions show,
    the Divine Name JAH had survived from the most primitive times.

What may have been the original meaning or root of this mysterious name is still in doubt. It is found (as Ya or Yau) on Babylonian tablets of 2000 BC and later, always as a Semitic Deity. It is found in name-compounds among the Ras Shamra tablets.

It appears again in the Minaean records as the God of Heaven, whose second name is Love (Wadd), and Who has His shining Hosts (Sabaoth).

It may well be that here in Midian Moses learnt to call upon the 'Name of the LORD'

But, as Rogers remarks [R. W. Rogers, Religion of Babylonia and Assyria (1908).],
    'the question is not where the Name came from, but what Moses put into it.

For into that vessel a long line of Prophets from Moses onwards poured such a flood of attributes as never a priest in all Western Asia, from Babylon to the Sea, ever dreamed of in his highest moments of spiritual insight.'

Further interesting points arise in the Minaean inscriptions.
    God is known as EL, and the several gods of the Minaean pantheon as ELOHIM,
    both of which forms appear in the Biblical name for God.
    The priestess of Wadd is called a Levite (lawiat);
    and there are further verbal identities in the words for the sacrificial cart (mekonah),
    the cauldron (mabsal),
    a feast (haj),
    the tithe (ma'ser),
    the congregation (kahal),
    the sin-offering (hattath), and so on.
    In fact 'the Minaean inscriptions exhibit an extensive correspondence to the Hebrew ritual,
    and the vista is open for still more "light on the Bible" when Arabia comes at last to be scientifically explored'.
    [J. A. Montgomery, Arabia and the Bible (1934).]

A small detail of Minaean orthography may also be mentioned:
    the letter H is frequently used to indicate a vowel-sound.
    For instance Abram would be written either ABRM or ABRHM (Abram or Abraham).
    ===================

In the 1st century AD, Pliny the Elder wrote that the Minaeans had become one of the richest communities in the world, because their monopoly in growing and transporting frankincense to the world's markets.

Let's have a look what else Pliny wrote about the Minaeans and their Frankincense, but first shortly about Pliny:

Pliny the Elder
    "Gaius Plinius Secundus (c. AD 23 – August 25, AD 79), ... was a Roman author, naturalist, and natural philosopher. He was also a naval and army commander of the early Roman Empire and personal friend of the emperor Vespasian.

Spending most of his spare time studying, writing or investigating natural and geographic phenomena in the field, he wrote an encyclopedic work, Naturalis Historia, which became a model for all other encyclopedias. ...

Pliny the Elder died on August 25, AD 79, while trying to rescue his friend Pomponianus and his family from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius that had just destroyed the cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum. ..."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jHYcVLzPQz...he%2BElder.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliny_the_Elder

Pliny, who is basing his scientific narrative on information from Greek geographers, writes in his encyclopedia - Naturalis Historia, Book 6, Chapter XXXII, that Minaeans

- "who originated the trade (of Frankincense) and who chiefly practise it, and from them the per*fume takes the name of Minaean;",

were the same people whom we know nowadays as Minoans, from the Greek islands: Crete and Santorini.

“… Minaei, a rege Cretae Minoe, ut existimant, originem trahentes, quorum Carmei; oppidum XIIII p.” (… and the Minaeans, who themselves claim to be the descendants of King Minos of Crete, whose city, Carmei has a circumference of 14 miles.)

We read about this in Pliny's Naturalis Historia, Book VI, Chapter XXXII :
    http://www.masseiana.org/pliny.htm#BOOK%20VI
    Thanks for the history lesson!

When you capitalize the word as, Truth, or TRUTH, it comes across to me as a name someone(s) might call themself(ves).

So maybe the thread can be about names, instead... The meaning of the word truth seems very universally known (even if all truths are not universally known).

I keep thinking of Italy when you mention Idumea.

There is a special Italian last name to me, that I just can't get out of my head lately: Falbo.

I came across this Urban Dictiovary post about the name Falbo.

"The last name of a superior family. Being a Falbo means you are almost something like a super human, hybrid if you will. For generations this family has proven itself to be indestructible and feared by others.
    That family is so amazing, they could almost be Falbos."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Falbo

I don't know. Maybe a random reply to your post, but gave my 2 cents...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Inach Marbank For This Useful Post:

Sagittarius (04-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inach Marbank View Post
    Thanks for the history lesson!

When you capitalize the word as, Truth, or TRUTH, it comes across to me as a name someone(s) might call themself(ves).

So maybe the thread can be about names, instead... The meaning of the word truth seems very universally known (even if all truths are not universally known).

I keep thinking of Italy when you mention Idumea.

There is a special Italian last name to me, that I just can't get out of my head lately: Falbo.

I came across this Urban Dictiovary post about the name Falbo.

"The last name of a superior family. Being a Falbo means you are almost something like a super human, hybrid if you will. For generations this family has proven itself to be indestructible and feared by others.
    That family is so amazing, they could almost be Falbos."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Falbo

I don't know. Maybe a random reply to your post, but gave my 2 cents...
    The Minoans

It is believed that the Minoan civilization was the inspiration for Plato’s Atlantis, according to the dialogue in The Minoan Civilization-Atlantis Found? stating “Upon examination of Plato’s words on Atlantis as written in the dialogues Timaeus and Critias, we find many similarities between what archaeologists and historians know to be true for the Minoans, and characteristics Plato attributes to Atlantis and its occupants.” Through its similarities of culture, the use of the Mediterranean, advanced civilization, the location, Plato’s story of Poseidon, the use of ivory, and the reason of its decline, evidence suggest that the Minoans might be in fact the inspiration of Plato’s Atlantis.

https://edom2012.wordpress.com/2010/05/
    "Truth has no expiry date. Lies do." ~ A.D. Williams

"Error in history leads to the error in doctrine."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sagittarius For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (04-19-2017)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast