Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: What is Truth ???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    712
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 106 Times in 92 Posts

    Default What is Truth ???

    Quote of the day:

    "ALL TRUTH is safe, and nothing else is safe; and he who keeps back the truth, or withholds it from men, from motives of expediency, is either a coward or a criminal, or both".

    MAX MULLER, The Science of Religion, p. 11.
    "Truth has no expiry date. Lies do." ~ A.D. Williams

    "Error in history leads to the error in doctrine."

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sagittarius For This Useful Post:

    Hammerhead (04-19-2017), Inach Marbank (04-09-2017)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Posts
    9,271
    Thanks
    2,392
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 1,095 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
    Quote of the day:

    "ALL TRUTH is safe, and nothing else is safe; and he who keeps back the truth, or withholds it from men, from motives of expediency, is either a coward or a criminal, or both".

    MAX MULLER, The Science of Religion, p. 11.
    Truth is a person, Jesus of Nazareth, the Son of God.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoky For This Useful Post:

    jig (04-09-2017), nolidad (04-09-2017)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,612
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 270 Times in 239 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
    Quote of the day:

    "ALL TRUTH is safe, and nothing else is safe; and he who keeps back the truth, or withholds it from men, from motives of expediency, is either a coward or a criminal, or both".

    MAX MULLER, The Science of Religion, p. 11.
    Truth is simply the truth.
    Some people, however, hate the truth, and thus prefer darkness rather than light.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    712
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 106 Times in 92 Posts

    Default

    This can not be Truth, Smoke, because THERE WAS NO Nazaret when Christ was born, not even when He was crucified.

    However, there were Nazarenes, and there was Sepphoris next to the present city of Nazaret.
    Sepphoris was the capital city of Galille, and Nazarenes were living in this city

    Who were those Nazarenes ???
    "Truth has no expiry date. Lies do." ~ A.D. Williams

    "Error in history leads to the error in doctrine."

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
    Quote of the day:

    "ALL TRUTH is safe, and nothing else is safe; and he who keeps back the truth, or withholds it from men, from motives of expediency, is either a coward or a criminal, or both".

    MAX MULLER, The Science of Religion, p. 11.
    Would you say the bible withholds truths?

    Or would you say the bible hides or obfuscates truths?

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,631
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 321 Times in 275 Posts

    Default

    Truth is that which corresponds to reality. It is that which is veridical. Not sure everything in the Bible corresponds?

    Or from the Devil's Dictionary: An ingenious compound of desirability and appearance. Discovery of truth is the sole purpose of philosophy, which is the most ancient occupation of the human mind and has a fair prospect of existing with increasing activity to the end of time.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can also make you commit atrocities

    - Voltaire

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
    Quote of the day:

    "ALL TRUTH is safe, and nothing else is safe; and he who keeps back the truth, or withholds it from men, from motives of expediency, is either a coward or a criminal, or both".

    MAX MULLER, The Science of Religion, p. 11.
    Another thing...

    if everybody comes to know a truth, then there is no competitive advantage to knowing that truth;

    if only a very few know a truth, there might be a competitive advantage to knowing that truth.

    Perhaps an example of this: whoever has the patent to make refrigerator coolant (the chemistry and such);

    only a few enterprises know this truth: and it is therefore valuable to these few enterprises;

    but if a different kind of refrigerator became mass produced and used, and it used water instead of refrigerator coolant, then the refrigerator coolant would no longer be valuable.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,554
    Thanks
    2,723
    Thanked 5,124 Times in 3,998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    Truth is simply the truth.
    Some people, however, hate the truth, and thus prefer darkness rather than light.
    That sounds good doesn't it? I mean it resounds with religious people.....what what does it actually mean? That's my question.

    Some people hate the truth, so they prefer darkness to light. So, you've equivocated, in a very real sense, because now by analogy you've made truth and not-truth just like darkness and light.

    They are alike in the sense that truth and not truth are exactly the opposite things, as darkness and light are.....however - both darkness and light are truth. So, the analogy just fails.....IMO.....though sounding really good at first glance.

    But please correct me if I am wrong.....how do people hate truth and love darkness instead?
    For when nothing can be as it is, then whatever is turns into nothing. Yehushuan

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Massachusetts.
    Posts
    2,120
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 168 Times in 155 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
    This can not be Truth, Smoke, because THERE WAS NO Nazaret when Christ was born, not even when He was crucified.

    However, there were Nazarenes, and there was Sepphoris next to the present city of Nazaret.
    Sepphoris was the capital city of Galille, and Nazarenes were living in this city

    Who were those Nazarenes ???
    This would be verey incorrect.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,554
    Thanks
    2,723
    Thanked 5,124 Times in 3,998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    Truth is a person, Jesus of Nazareth, the Son of God.
    That's the standard Christian response. Thanks to John 14....right? Let's say you're right smoky. If so, then there is no more truth because Jesus isn't here anymore; and he really never was everywhere was he? He never left Palestine. So, the only truth that is resided for a short time and in one specific, and very small place in the entire big marble. Yeah.....uh.....nope.

    That really just doesn't actually make much sense - does it smoky?

    I'll tell you what. You go get yourself a nice solid chunk of wood, or a bat, or a hammer.....or whatever solid object comes to hand....and smash yourself in the head with it. That will hurt. That is truth.
    For when nothing can be as it is, then whatever is turns into nothing. Yehushuan

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •