Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best way for Christians to share their Good News?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 1,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yehushuan View Post
    One might postulate that all men were OT men (being in the flesh) until the New Covenant was purchased and established. Of course that would also mean Jesus was an OT man "in the flesh". However, we've not quite defined what "in the flesh" means.

The Old Covenant is based upon Human Willpower - the flesh - being used as the primary, if not the only, mechanism by which one could Obey the Law. If I find the urge "in my flesh" to steal, or hurt, or commit murder, then the only tool available back then (and the only tool available to the non-believer now) was to hear the Law and through a combination of fear and human willpower (with a sprinkle of "trying-to-be-good") man up and try to overcome those urges and obey (a process yielding limited results). So even though Jesus was "in the flesh" it is written that He overcame by such an Obedience Unto Death. And being the only OT man-in-the-flesh ever to actually accomplish such could establish a New Covenant by which we as believers no longer need to rely upon our own personal human willpower to obey; a resource unreliable at best and ultimately bound to fail since Free Will is broken.

Just something to consider,
    Yehu
    Spot on!
    "Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins." (Ja 5:20)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip2 For This Useful Post:

Yehushuan (04-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An Onymous Brother View Post
    1 John 1:
    8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
    9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.
    What I see from you so far, is disdain for verses 8 and 10.
    I have faith all three verses are the word of God.
    I guess Satan does not count to you. That's OK. I'll stick with 1 John 1:9 and be weary of those who go against verses 8 & 10.
    Interesting that you should mention that. Reminds me of why to watch out for 8/10 violators.
    As for 1 John 1:8...
    John is writing to a church, about two kinds of men.
    Those who walk in the light, and those who walk in the darkness.
    Those who walk in the light have had ALL their sins cleansed by the blood of Christ. They CAN say they have no sin.
    Those who walk in darkness cannot say they have no sin, because they do continue to commit sin.
    John uses an A-B, A-B, A-B style of writing. (Also used by Paul in Romans 8...Spirit-flesh, Spirit-flesh, Spirit-flesh.)
    A applies to those who walk in the light and B applies to those who walk in the darkness.
    Verses 5, 7, and 9 refer to those who walk in the light.
    Verses 6, 8, and 10 refer to those who walk in the darkness.

A...
    5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
    7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
    9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

B...
    6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
    8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

I walk in the light, have confessed my sins, and have had all my unrighteousness/sin cleansed.
    I can say I have no sin because of God's protection and strength in me.
    It is written..."There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Corinthians 10:13)
    I find the escapes, thanks be to God!

But, to you, the Lord's prayer is meaningless and useless and promotes sin, right?
    It was just one more of Jesus' prayers that have already been answered.
    I don't see it as a promotion of sin, however.???
    "Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins." (Ja 5:20)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,590 Times in 4,676 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philip2 View Post
    Your subversion is useless.
    THis response is not for you but for others who are considering this "you can be sinless" theology. It is clear to me that you are not free from sin. You are unwilling to consider correction to your posts let alone correction to yourself. No man who is free from the sin of anger and pride would respond as you do. You are in the bonds of the sin of pride. What do you do when corrected? You lie about my post and accuse me of subversion. A man freed from the sin of pride would NEVER respond in that way. This is how I know neither you nor your church where you go is freed from sin, no matter what the false teaching you get that appeals to pride promises.

Just for anyone's education (you are too proud to admit this), the definition of subversion is: he act of trying to destroy or damage an established system or government. Anyone can see that I am not trying to destroy or damage an established system. I am talking to one man. Just one. This is how I know you are not freed from sin. You write things that are untrue and boldly and proudly.
    Save yourself from this corrupt generation.
    I am. I resist the temptation to be proud in the flesh and claim I am sinless/perfect/holy/freed from sin/like Jesus. I donot limit the power of the blood of Christ insisting sin cannot be overcome but I do not see this in myself nor in anyone else. But I love truth, not find a Bible verse and decide is describes me even if no one, not even God sees it as being true.

But continued to commit sin? Were disobedient to God? Doubted the words of the apostles and elders?
    You have a rather simplistic view of Christian life and life in general. EIther a man is sinless or blithely continuing in sin and disobedient to God. Black or white. You do not see that walking with God is like a marriage. One is not either completely harmonious 24/7 or on the brink of divorce. You do not see the daily walking with Him, obeying Him and when one fails repenting and continuing to walk. You do not seem to understand the struggle with one's own desires against the will of God, the difficulties when learning what the will of God is and the struggles with those around us who sin and tempt us to do so as well. You seem to think obedience to God is claiming one is sinless no matter how one behaves. Believing the promises of God means a man ACTS in accordance with His will. It does not mean find a verse you like and claim it for yourself. It might be God speaks to one a promise out of the Bible and one stands upon that spoken word to one in faith. That is not the same as searching through the Bible and finding a verse one would like to be true.

"My sheep hear my voice and follow me." Does not say that his sheep find whatever it is they would like to be true of their lives and claim to be so with no promise from God to them that it will be so.
    Last edited by Dottie; 04-19-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    We Christians have 2 natures; flesh (carnal) and new man (regenerated) but Paul explained (splained) quite accurately how the two natures constantly conflicted with one another.
    That is incorrect.
    The old man is killed at our baptism into Christ's death,
    We are raised with Him as new creatures with a divine nature.

I guess you are referring to..."This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
    For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
    But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law." (Galatians 5:16-18)
    If you viewed this from the Spirit's perspective, instead of from the flesh's perspective, it would be clear to you that "the things that you would" refers to those things the now dead flesh would gravitate to.

I exhort you to walk in the Spirit, and be done with the flesh.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 844 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    Only if one considers dancing a sin.

David danced for God. Quite a good job of it too.
    David also danced the two backed monster with Solomon's mother when she was married to another man.

(And the Baptists consider dancing a sin. Why are they wrong?)
    "Everybody thinks they're doing the right thing." - Gordon Anke

(One of wisest men I've known. RIP: March 5th 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    "My sheep hear my voice and follow me."
    I guess His sheep are obedient to Him.

By implication, the sheep who don't obey Him are NOT His sheep.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,008 Times in 3,911 Posts
    Blog Entries

No man of the OT had been crucified, buried, and raised with Christ to walk in newness of life. (Rom 6:3-6)
    Romans 8 makes the differences between OT and NT pretty clear.

David, and the rest of the OT men, had atonements for their sins.
    Bulls and goats etc.
    Hebrews 10:4 "For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins."
    For when nothing can be as it is, then whatever is turns into nothing. Yehushuan

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (04-21-2017), jmldn2 (04-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,590 Times in 4,676 Posts
    Blog Entries

I guess His sheep are obedient to Him.

By implication, the sheep who don't obey Him are NOT His sheep.
    Obedience is definatly not telling everyone how sinless you are. Again, you have black and white thinking. Not relationship with God, but either all sin or no sin. I suspect that "obedience" to you is claiming you are sinless. Is there any evidence that you think obedience is anything close to DOING good to others? Telling them something besides how sinless you are? Any encouragement for others to do good to others? All I read is how sinless you and your church is or some matter that cannot be done or measured if done.
    Last edited by Dottie; 04-19-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Thanks
    Blog Entries

LET THE EXCUSES BEGIN!

As for 1 John 1:8...
    John is writing to a church, about two kinds of men.
    Those who walk in the light, and those who walk in the darkness.
    Those who walk in the light have had ALL their sins cleansed by the blood of Christ. They CAN say they have no sin.
    Those who walk in darkness cannot say they have no sin, because they do continue to commit sin.
    John uses an A-B, A-B, A-B style of writing. (Also used by Paul in Romans 8...Spirit-flesh, Spirit-flesh, Spirit-flesh.)
    A applies to those who walk in the light and B applies to those who walk in the darkness.
    Verses 5, 7, and 9 refer to those who walk in the light.
    Verses 6, 8, and 10 refer to those who walk in the darkness.

A...
    5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
    7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
    9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

B...
    6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
    8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
    1 John 1:5 ~ 2:6
    This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< PREAMBLE

If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< DARKNESS==LIE/NO TRUTH
    But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.<<<<< LIGHT==CLEANSES CONTINUOUS PROCESS!

(LET'S KEEP THE "WALKING" AND "LIGHT" METAPHORS TOGETHER, EH?

If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< YOU ARE IN DARKNESS--DECEIVING YOURSELF/NO THRUTH, SAYING YOU HAVE NO SIN.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.<<< YOU ARE NOT IN DARKNESS--LIGHT==CLEANSES CONTINUOUS PROCESS!

If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< CONCLUSION

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
    He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
    And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.
    Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,
    but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him:
    whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

I walk in the light, have confessed my sins, and have had all my unrighteousness/sin cleansed.
    I can say I have no sin because of God's protection and strength in me.
    1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.

QED.

It is written..."There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Corinthians 10:13)
    I find the escapes, thanks be to God!

It was just one more of Jesus' prayers that have already been answered.
    I don't see it as a promotion of sin, however.???
    Have you never even considered why John would be saying "WE" and not "YOU" or "THEM/THEY"?
    Last edited by An Onymous Brother; 04-19-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    Obedience is definatly not telling everyone how sinless you are. Again, you have black and white thinking. Not relationship with God, but either all sin or no sin. I suspect that "obedience" to you is claiming you are sinless. Is there any evidence that you think obedience is anything close to DOING good to others? Telling them something besides how sinless you are? Any encouragement for others to do good to others? All I read is how sinless you and your church is or something value that cannot be done or measured if done.
    Dottie,

I have come to realize I have been quite rude to you at certain times.

I apologize and will try to respond with better manners.
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to An Onymous Brother For This Useful Post:

Dottie (04-19-2017)

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast