Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 370

Thread: What is the best way for Christians to share their Good News?

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    8,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I agree with you, because it's my belief. I don't think there's any way to prove such a thing. I mean, consider if such a thing were to be proven; how would we go about it? We believe that we have a soul or spirit because this is what we have been taught, and it's what the bible says. But proving something that we believe to be true is near impossible isn't it?

    And how many times have we believed a thing only to find out later that what we had previously believed wasn't true? I'm not arguing against the existence of the spirit. I'm just saying that I can't find a way to prove that we actually have one.

    But let's say that we do. I'm assuming that you believe God made us in some way. Maybe he allowed us to evolve, or maybe you believe special creation as taught in Genesis. If you believe that God made us, then we share this belief. Where we differ, is that I believe God made all of us - each part, that means body, soul, and spirit. So, if God is our maker, then what is there to fear? In the same way that he gave us physical life, he must also be responsible for the spiritual life we possess.....if indeed we have one. Therefore, I think we exist as we were intended and religious beliefs don't change that.

    I agree with you, because it's my belief. I don't think there's any way to prove such a thing. I mean, consider if such a thing were to be proven; how would we go about it? We believe that we have a soul or spirit because this is what we have been taught, and it's what the bible says. But proving something that we believe to be true is near impossible isn't it?
    We cannot prove on paper or with sight, no. But neither can what we believe be proven to be false. Plus, why do we need to prove it? There will be those who accept it to be the truth. There will be those who will not accept it to be truth. It isn't my job to prove what I believe anyway. At the risk of using a same ole same ole, Free Will.


    And how many times have we believed a thing only to find out later that what we had previously believed wasn't true? I'm not arguing against the existence of the spirit. I'm just saying that I can't find a way to prove that we actually have one.
    I have experienced such occasionally but I have to date not found out that God, Holy Spirit, soul, spirit are a "figment" of my imagination. Quite the opposite. I have experienced much in my life in totality to reinforce my beliefs.



    But let's say that we do. I'm assuming that you believe God made us in some way. Maybe he allowed us to evolve, or maybe you believe special creation as taught in Genesis. If you believe that God made us, then we share this belief.
    I believe God is the Supreme Creator. As for evolution, I believe within a species we have evolved, both human and animal.


    So, if God is our maker, then what is there to fear?

    I believe the fear is the eternal separation of God
    - I accepted Christ not our of fear of hell, although I believe there is hell, but I accepted Christ out of a desire to not be separated from my Heavenly Father. As well, my life was in a total mess and I needed Him to help me to become what He had intended me to be in the very beginning, even while I was in my mother's womb.


    In the same way that he gave us physical life, he must also be responsible for the spiritual life we possess.
    He created our spiritual life, yes, but I would venture to say the "upkeep" of our spiritual life as the upkeep of our physical life is our responsibility. Both need to be taken care of and we are the caretakers.


    Therefore, I think we exist as we were intended and religious beliefs don't change that.

    I think we exist because of our Creator. I do not think we are always existing as we were intended. Religious beliefs aren't what I base my faith on. There are religious beliefs/doctrines and then there is the simple Word of God.
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    13,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    And why wouldn't I? That's what life is. When your body stops functioning.....you die. But, since you seem to have more knowledge than I do in this matter, please educate me. How else should life be considered?

    If you are referring to the spiritual; then demonstrate exactly how you know that you have a spirit inside you. If you say it is because the bible tells you so, I will have to tell you why that is insufficient proof.
    Jesus said it.
    I believe Him, because He was raised from the dead and is with God now.
    "Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins." (Ja 5:20)

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    13,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post
    Does intelligence need a brain?

    If not, and if you could find anyone who'd agree to put you on a life-support system which takes over all the functions of your brain, would you agree to have your brain removed?
    God is Spirit, and He has thoughts without any corporeal limitations.
    "Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins." (Ja 5:20)

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    35,055
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post
    It is obvious that as an "evolutionist" you really hadn't a clue as to why it is an incontrovertible fact.

    And that's why you haven't a clue now.
    Nolidad, believers in evolution have two categories of dividing people into. Those who believe in evolution and those who do not understand evolution. If one moves from believing in evolution to doubting it, then one does not understand it. Does not matter if one taught it as a professor in university. If one realizes that evolution is not a fact and certainly not incontrovertible, then one goes from understanding to not understanding. Atheists have restricted the options.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

  5. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    I would go further and state that spreading the Good News by actions, words is as important as the heart belief.
    What you truly believe in your heart, will display in your actions.

    It makes me wonder about those who will supposedly have prophesied in the Lords name, cast out devils, and done many wonderful works, to whom the Lord will say: " I never knew you, depart from me ye that work iniquity.", what they truly believed in? Matthew 7:22-23

    Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    35,055
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    What you truly believe in your heart, will display in your actions.

    It makes me wonder about those who will supposedly have prophesied in the Lords name, cast out devils, and done many wonderful works, to whom the Lord will say: " I never knew you, depart from me ye that work iniquity.", what they truly believed in? Matthew 7:22-23

    Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
    Exactly! As a man truly believes, so is he. By what we do, it is clear what we really believe, not what we tell ourselves we believe. Then there are those who believe they are freed from all law...all. They are most easily defined as lawless ones. They acknowledge no law to be binding them....not the law of loving God nor the law of loving others. I have asked some and there is no law they acknowledge as binding upon them including the law to love God. No law....lawless ones and then surely workers on inquity since they feel no need to love God nor man outside of themselves.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

  7. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    Exactly! As a man truly believes, so is he. By what we do, it is clear what we really believe, not what we tell ourselves we believe. Then there are those who believe they are freed from all law...all. They are most easily defined as lawless ones. They acknowledge no law to be binding them....not the law of loving God nor the law of loving others. I have asked some and there is no law they acknowledge as binding upon them including the law to love God. No law....lawless ones and then surely workers on inquity since they feel no need to love God nor man outside of themselves.
    I also am not an OSAS believer. I was when I first started, but I have found too many scriptures clearly pointing away from that perspective.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    35,055
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    I also am not an OSAS believer. I was when I first started, but I have found too many scriptures clearly pointing away from that perspective.
    The theology never occured to me and from all I can read, one has to learn from someone else. The Bible alone teaches to love God with all your being and love your neighbor as yourself and we are commanded to do so if for no other reason. I'm glad you believe the Bible and not the teachings of men.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    8,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    I also am not an OSAS believer. I was when I first started, but I have found too many scriptures clearly pointing away from that perspective.

    I appreciate ludwig your contributions to the topic of this thread. It is meaningful. However, let's be sure to not turn it into another OSAS.

    Thanks,
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    35,055
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    I appreciate ludwig your contributions to the topic of this thread. It is meaningful. However, let's be sure to not turn it into another OSAS.

    Thanks,
    I admit it is off topic although if Kimba were contributing, that is her "gospel."
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •