Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 67

Thread: Do you believe in coincidences?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    So you believe this whole thing is God's giant puppet show?
    A rather unfortunate choice of words.

    I believe "this whole thing" happens in accordance with God's purpose.

    I watched a video once where John Piper (I think it was him..) said something like "there is not a drop of rain that falls that God has not decreed it so". It made me wanna puke.
    Serves you right for watching what an American Calvinist pastor (wikipedia) has to say. LOL

    Why would you even do that?
    2Co 11:1 I wish you would bear with me in a little foolishness. Do bear with me!

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWashedBrain View Post
    Does not compute. Perhaps to the rational mind. I'll give you that.. I speak supernaturally, as things pertaining to God.

    In what God does, there can NOT be "a lack of intervention because of circumstances NOT of their own doing".

    The testing of Job WAS God's doing.

    So.. in a way, God DID cause Job's trials. (careful there.. I said "in a way").



    The Biblical concept is "Predestination".




    The Book of Ecclesiastes is mostly the opinions of a smart man, until he acknowledges God is all that matters.

    There is no such thing as "chance". Only God's will.



    Yes. How could you miss that Satan was doing God's bidding.. under HIS direct control?



    Still is. More so now.



    A different (false) god.. to be sure.

    Essentially, your god tells you he is not in control. That, sometimes, you are on your own. Interesting.

    My God EXPECTS me to acknowledge Him always, in all my ways.

    To each his own?, An Onymous Brother?
    All that I can say has been said. We will not see eye to eye.

    Ecc 9:11 is clear and to the point.

    You can accept it as the inspired words of God, or not.
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An Onymous Brother View Post
    All that I can say has been said. We will not see eye to eye.

    Ecc 9:11 is clear and to the point.

    You can accept it as the inspired words of God, or not.
    Context.. An Onymous Brother.

    I find it rather dangerous to want to make doctrine out the musings of a troubled man.

    My clue? "under the sun".

    Someone "under the sun" would believe in chance.

    With God, there is only Divine Providence.

    Thank you for the exchange. Looking forward to discussions with you.
    2Co 11:1 I wish you would bear with me in a little foolishness. Do bear with me!

  4. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWashedBrain View Post
    Context.. An Onymous Brother.

    I find it rather dangerous to want to make doctrine out the musings of a troubled man.

    My clue? "under the sun".

    Someone "under the sun" would believe in chance.

    With God, there is only Divine Providence.

    Thank you for the exchange. Looking forward to discussions with you.
    I did not "make doctrines" out of that one scripture.

    I tore one down with it.

    You only need a single negative to bring down a theory that cannot account for it. And simply dismissing a scripture as "musings of a troubled man" doesn't cut it.

    Another name for "under the sun."

    "In the Light."
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    996

    Default

    Chance: the occurrence of events in the absence of any obvious intention or cause.

    If I role a die, there is a certain chance that it will land on a particular number. That does not mean there is no reason why it lands on the number it lands on. If I were able to look at all of the variables - the weight of the dice, the shape, the rotational velocity as it left my hand, and every other piece of information - I would find that the chance of it landing on, let's say 5, is 100%, and the chance of it landing on any other number is 0%. And then it would no longer be called "chance". Chance is a word that we use to describe something that seems random to us, because we cannot comprehend all of the variables in play. Chance is a lack of information.

    So the only way that God could not know what is going to happen, is if he is lacking in information, or lacking in the ability to process that information.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    35,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Chance: the occurrence of events in the absence of any obvious intention or cause.

    If I role a die, there is a certain chance that it will land on a particular number. That does not mean there is no reason why it lands on the number it lands on. If I were able to look at all of the variables - the weight of the dice, the shape, the rotational velocity as it left my hand, and every other piece of information - I would find that the chance of it landing on, let's say 5, is 100%, and the chance of it landing on any other number is 0%. And then it would no longer be called "chance". Chance is a word that we use to describe something that seems random to us, because we cannot comprehend all of the variables in play. Chance is a lack of information.

    So the only way that God could not know what is going to happen, is if he is lacking in information, or lacking in the ability to process that information.
    God is lacking information. He does not know ahead of time every decision we, as free will beings, will make.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    35,134
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWashedBrain View Post
    I find it rather dangerous to want to make doctrine out the musings of a troubled man.
    .
    For those who have made up what they want to believe instead of finding out what the Bible has to teach us, anyone or anything that suits that preselected version will do. It is all the same for them. In this view, ignorance of Biblical writings serves well. That a man was fallen away from the faith and worshipped demons does not matter. That is because it suits their position. It is called cherry picking. Some of them think everyone does this so it is OK. That some do not does not enter their darkest dreams. But there are certainly some like the Bereans who search the scriptures, all of them, to test teachings.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    35,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    For those who have made up what they want to believe instead of finding out what the Bible has to teach us, anyone or anything that suits that preselected version will do. It is all the same for them. In this view, ignorance of Biblical writings serves well. That a man was fallen away from the faith and worshipped demons does not matter. That is because it suits their position. It is called cherry picking. Some of them think everyone does this so it is OK. That some do not does not enter their darkest dreams. But there are certainly some like the Bereans who search the scriptures, all of them, to test teachings.
    I believe what Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes is God-breathed. You don't.

    You claim to "search the scriptures, all of them", but reject things that disagree with your beliefs.

    That is the definition of cherry picking.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    35,134
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    I believe what Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes is God-breathed. You don't.

    You claim to "search the scriptures, all of them", but reject things that disagree with your beliefs.

    That is the definition of cherry picking.
    No I do not. You again tell untruths about me. Stop it!
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    35,134
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Is this your view of life, God-inspired and written for you to take as your view of life?

    Meaningless! Meaningless!”
    says the Teacher.
    “Utterly meaningless!
    Everything is meaningless.”


    Is this a God-inspired true statment?

    No one remembers the former generations,
    and even those yet to come
    will not be remembered
    by those who follow them.


    You have a problem in that we do remember former generations. It is called the study of history. The statment of Solomon, your favourite theologian, was wrong.

    Is this true?

    What is crooked cannot be straightened;
    what is lacking cannot be counted.


    What is missing cannot be counted? Funny that people who are hungry can count what is missing in their bellies.

    Do you tell others that this is what they should believe and tell themselves every day?

    So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.
    I can go on and on with things Solomon wrote that NO ONE ACCEPTS AS HOW TO LIVE even though Solomon is writing to tell people how to view life. No none does this if they want a heathly happy life.

    The problem is that you do not know any difference between the point of the writings in the mind of the writers and readers. You think they all have the same weight. Now you cannot actually live like that as if a man lived as Solomon taught, he would be called mentally ill needed serious counseling. So you pick out the one or two sentences you like and do not live like the rest of his book. That is clear because you certainly are not suffering from the deep despondency Solomon had.

    For anyone not familiar with Solomon, his foreign wives brought him to worship demons. He himself worshipped real demons and was the only author who wrote this kind of material with no real reason as Job did. He had all this world had to offer, power, money, etc. and he thought life not worth living. Most of the other writers had less of all of them and wrote encouraging words that one can live by. But none of them worshipped demons. Makes a difference.
    Last edited by Dottie; 04-23-2017 at 04:10 AM.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •