Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in coincidences?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    Personally, I do not. It is my belief that everything has a purpose and there is a reason for what happens. I do not believe in accidents either.
    I believe in both coincidences and accidents.

The thing is.. both concepts take on a different meaning when one realizes God IS in the equation. In that case, EVERYTHING that happens to me I see as having a purpose (not just a "reason). Of course I cannot always know what it is.

The concept of "Divine appointment", or "Divine intervention" is what I believe more closely relate to "coincidences" in a way.

"Accidents" are very much real. They happen all the time. Because they more often than not have a negative connotation in that they sometimes make us question where God was when they happened I believe would make us doubt that God DID have something to do with them.

Yes.. shroom. Even stubbing a toe in the middle of the night happens for a purpose.

If anything, the unbeliever would have a harder time "explaining" what drives coincidences and accidents.

The way I used to see it would be "explained" by: "Stuff happens".
    2Co 11:1 I wish you would bear with me in a little foolishness. Do bear with me!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheWashedBrain For This Useful Post:

jmldn2 (04-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,459 Times in 4,506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheWashedBrain View Post
    Yes.. shroom. Even stubbing a toe in the middle of the night happens for a purpose.
    No it doesn't.

If anything, the unbeliever would have a harder time "explaining" what drives coincidences and accidents.

The way I used to see it would be "explained" by: "Stuff happens".
    That is a very valid explanation for many things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    No it doesn't.
    Because I believe God IS in the equation (of everything, by the way). I can not see it any other way.

Here's a thought..

Perhaps everything.. everything is a series of tests God is continually giving us.

Judy had the right idea earlier..

the response to a test speaks volumes.

IOW.. I believe God finds pleasure in seeing us "pass" all the tests He either administers Himself, or has others place in front of us.

That is a very valid explanation for many things.
    "That" is not an "explanation" for any thing.

That would be like saying "Que sera sera" "Whatever will be will be" explain anything.. lol.
    2Co 11:1 I wish you would bear with me in a little foolishness. Do bear with me!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheWashedBrain For This Useful Post:

jmldn2 (04-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,459 Times in 4,506 Posts

Because I believe God IS in the equation (of everything, by the way). I can not see it any other way.
    If that is your viewpoint, then I understand why you believe as you do.

That is not my viewpoint. For example, if I pull a hot casserole out of the oven and put it on top of the stove, and then a couple of minutes later grab it to move it, and burn my hand because I forgot it was hot, God had absolutely nothing to do with it. It happened because I forgot it was hot.

Here's a thought..

Perhaps everything.. everything is a series of tests God is continually giving us.
    That's your thought, not mine.

I do not agree with Judy on this. Not everything is a test.

IOW.. I believe God finds pleasure in seeing us "pass" all the tests He either administers Himself, or has others place in front of us.
    God does not "have others place tests in front of us". People have free will (something else I'm not sure you believe...)

That would be like saying "Que sera sera" "Whatever will be will be" explain anything.. lol.
    No, it's not the same.

Everything is caused by something, but not everything has a purpose.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shroom For This Useful Post:

jmldn2 (04-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 4,294,967,295 Posts

Well thanks for bringing up this thread again. I find it useful.

I still believe whatever happens has a purpose - even if something happens as an"accident" it will still be used by God as a purpose. God can use a "stubbed toe, a burned hand" and create something useful out of it.
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

Thanks
    Thanked 5,716 Times in 4,777 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    Well thanks for bringing up this thread again. I find it useful.

I still believe whatever happens has a purpose - even if something happens as an"accident" it will still be used by God as a purpose. God can use a "stubbed toe, a burned hand" and create something useful out of it.
    I do not think God is behind everything that happens. There are quite a few things that happen in the BIble where God hates what happened. It also says men have done things that never occured to God. God does not use everything for everyone either. I guess it is come kind of comfort to think God is manipulating everything that happens to everyone but that is not the Bible view. Might be the view of Hindus as in Karma where everything that happens to a person has a reason.

As far as for his children are concerned, there are qualifications for Him to work these things to good. (God only works for good and does not do evil in any case.) The requirements for God to work something for good is as follows:

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." He, btw, is the one who determines if a person loves Him, not us.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Here's a thought..

HI Washed Brain,

God is testing us in all things is also a pretty simplistic view of matters. Life appears to me to be more complex. Sometimes things happen to us because of choices we make. These are consequences and God does not save us from the consequences of our choices. He is not testing us and not involved. Sometimes God tests us, true. There are also situations where God wants a man to grow in character and faith. Those are not tests really. They are challenges. It is naive to think that our deeds have nothing to do with what happens and call everything we experience "a test of God." God might not be involved at all but is merely watching what we have done to ourselves. There are examples of this in the Bible.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Here's a thought..

So, when the militant sniper blasts open the head of the 9-year-old girl's parents then proceeds to gang rape her to death with 40 of his friends, just what test did God have in mind for the girl and her parents?

When the aborted 35-week fetus is tossed into the incinerator, what test did God have in mind for the fetus?

Should you ever truly think about it, it is quite a disgusting concept that I cannot see in any way, shape, or form possible to reconcile with a merciful and compassionate and loving God.

And just what is Jesus doing at the right hand of Him while the spectacle ensues? Placing bets on the outcome?

God, as the Heavenly Micro Manager, doesn't get past GO!

James 1

12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
    13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one.
    14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.
    15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

Ecc 9:11 Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor to those with knowledge, but time and chance happen to them all.

From what I remember, YHVH does not stand for "Skinner"
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by An Onymous Brother View Post
    So, when the militant sniper blasts open the head of the 9-year-old girl's parents then proceeds to gang rape her to death with 40 of his friends, just what test did God have in mind for the girl and her parents?

When the aborted 35-week fetus is tossed into the incinerator, what test did God have in mind for the fetus?

Should you ever truly think about it, it is quite a disgusting concept that I cannot see in any way, shape, or form possible to reconcile with a merciful and compassionate and loving God.

And just what is Jesus doing at the right hand of Him while the spectacle ensues? Placing bets on the outcome?

God, as the Heavenly Micro Manager, doesn't get past GO!

James 1

12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
    13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one.
    14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.
    15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

Ecc 9:11 Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor to those with knowledge, but time and chance happen to them all.

From what I remember, YHVH does not stand for "Skinner"
    Many of the theories of men do not stand up to the test of life. One runs into this all the time. In my view, is it also due to Hindusim creeping into western culture. The Hindus accept all that happens is by divine decree or the result of your Karma from a past life. That is why the Hindus do nothing about the poor and homeless around them. They blame fate and accept it. This sort of view is creeping into western life and even Christians are embracing pieces of it such that all that happens is God's will saying God using everything. This theory does not stand the test of real life. So they do not look at real life. Makes it easy. Head in the sand.

This is why Christians and the faith has been so powerful in human history. Real Christians can look at moral wrong and shout "wrong" and DO SOMETHING about it knowing that are in the will of God, not working against fate. Jesus came to destory the works of darkness. One has to acknowledge that there is darkness. It is not pleasant to acknowledge darkness so westerners run from it. Evil men are called "sick" not "bad." They tell you people steal because they are hunger ignoring the fact that the biggest thieves are the filthy rich. If one wants to be effective for the Kingdom of God, one has to love the truth which includes that there is evil and God hates it and did not condon nor plan it all.
    ------------------------

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    HI Washed Brain,

God is testing us in all things is also a pretty simplistic view of matters..
    The very definition of "hitting the nail on the head".. Dottie. I DO hold a very simplistic view of matters.

Life appears to me to be more complex.
    Only if you lose sight of the important thing.

Mat 22:36* “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”*
    Mat 22:37* And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.*
    Mat 22:38* This is the great and first commandment.*
    Mat 22:39* And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.*

Mat 22:40* On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.

One can live with a "don't do this and do do that" mentality.. but, as can be seen, it would only make life "more complex".

I try to keep it simple, Dottie. Two commandments that should drive everything as it pertains to "living".

Sometimes things happen to us because of choices we make. These are consequences and God does not save us from the consequences of our choices. He is not testing us and not involved.
    God most certainly sometimes "saves us from the consequences of our choices".. Dottie.

Sometimes He saves us from consequences that others thrust upon us. Like if a drunk driver t-bones the car I'm driving. God may, or He may not allow me to survive, or He may allow me to incur severe injuries.

Again.. I believe He IS in control.. not me.

That's where His mercy comes into play.

Sometimes God tests us, true. There are also situations where God wants a man to grow in character and faith. Those are not tests really. They are challenges.
    Sure.. God ALSO "challenges" us all the time. Not much different than a "test", really, in that HOW you respond to the challenge would tell more about you than God.

It is naive to think that our deeds have nothing to do with what happens and call everything we experience "a test of God."
    God might not be involved at all but is merely watching what we have done to ourselves. There are examples of this in the Bible.
    I believe God is always "watching".. therefore.. He is always "involved".

Even when, as shown in an example.. God "turns His back" , or "abandons" someone.. I see that He is STILL involved.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast