Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Study: Majority of American Christians Believe They Are Discriminated Against

Thanks
    Thanked 5,770 Times in 4,824 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
    I spoke from memory which is not a good idea. I doubt it's true any more.
    Well, all of us do that from time to time.

Too bad for them then but to be expected in countries with state religions. Our constitution forbids it.
    That is why Americans are so terribly ignorant about what religions teach. Christians embrace Hindu ways of seeing things and don't know it because the schools are forbidden from teaching this information. What countries have state religions according to you? I cannot think of any besides the Muslims and they are not a part of this discussion.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    That is why Americans are so terribly ignorant about what religions teach. Christians embrace Hindu ways of seeing things and don't know it because the schools are forbidden from teaching this information.
    Oh we have comparative religion classes to teach ABOUT religions, we just don't teach it in science class.

What countries have state religions according to you? I cannot think of any besides the Muslims and they are not a part of this discussion.
    Spain and Italy, for all practical purposes. England with it's Anglican church used to be but no longer does.

Roger
    It is not God that kills the children, not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs.
    It's us. Only us. - Rorschach

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogerh For This Useful Post:

Stephen T-B (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,703 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    Where is the evidence of this? Never heard of it so please supply the news items.

Where is the news item where the Muslims are persecuted by Muslims? Are you talking war in Muslim countries? Otherwise from whence comes this? Christians are being martyrd in mass in Muslim nations.
    Come on Dottie, you don't know that muslims kill unbelievers? In fact, they are instructed to do so from their holy book.

And you don't know that Sunni's and Shia's have been killing each other for decades? You don't need a news item, you need to read a history book.
    Won't you listen to reason .... Will you open your eyes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
    Oh we have comparative religion classes to teach ABOUT religions, we just don't teach it in science class.
    Thank you.
    As I said, the suggestion that ID is taught is schools is misleading at best.

"Intelligent Design" is a term invented by creationist of the fundamentalist strand in order to disguise creationism as a scientific discipline.

An attempt was made in the UK to sneak it into school science (schools which were funded by a multi-millionaire car dealership owner who was a YEC), but it got nowhere.

Studying the Bible in Religious Education lessons (or, more commonly, lessons on Comparative Religion) is not the same as teaching ID and to claim otherwise is, as I've said, misleading at best, and at worst, plain dishonest.
    "True ignorance is not the absence of knowledge, but the refusal to acquire it."Karl K. Popper

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by missy View Post
    And you don't know that Sunni's and Shia's have been killing each other for decades? You don't need a news item, you need to read a history book.
    For centuries, in fact.

The quarrel began following Mohammed's death in 632.
    "True ignorance is not the absence of knowledge, but the refusal to acquire it."Karl K. Popper

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen T-B For This Useful Post:

missy (07-05-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post
    For centuries, in fact.

The quarrel began following Mohammed's death in 632.
    So I'm sure Dottie could find a news item on it then, no?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by missy View Post
    So I'm sure Dottie could find a news item on it then, no?
    Shouldn't be too hard, there's weekly bombings of mosques.
    And the officer said, "better get a lawyer son, better get a real good one".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John53 View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard, there's weekly bombings of mosques.
    Right wing news doesn't report on that though. Imagine the horror if Christians learned they weren't the main target of Muslim aggression.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to missy For This Useful Post:

John53 (07-05-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123