Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Study: Majority of American Christians Believe They Are Discriminated Against

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Study: Majority of American Christians Believe They Are Discriminated Against

A study released in 2016 found that a majority of American Christians view themselves as victims of discrimination.

Many, many Christians believe they are subject to religious discrimination in the United States. A new report from the Public Religion Research Institute and Brookings offers evidence: Almost half of Americans say discrimination against Christians is as big of a problem as discrimination against other groups, including blacks and minorities. Three-quarters of Republicans and Trump supporters said this, and so did nearly eight out of 10 white evangelical Protestants. Of the latter group, six in 10 believe that although America once was a Christian nation, it is no longer—a huge jump from 2012.

Polling data can be split up in a million different ways. It’s possible to sort by ethnicity, age, political party, and more. The benefit of sorting by religion, though, is that it highlights people’s beliefs: the way their ideological and spiritual convictions shape their self-understanding. This survey suggests that race is not enough to explain the sense of loss some white Americans seem to feel about their country, although it’s part of the story; the same is true of age, education level, and political affiliation. People’s beliefs seem to have a distinctive bearing on how they view changes in American culture, politics, and law—and whether they feel threatened. No group is more likely to express this fear than conservative Christians.
    As many of you know, this isn't anything new. But it's strange considering that in the last few decades, evangelical Christian presence in American culture has gone from a few TV shows like the 700 Club and PTL Club, and of course the TV preacher shows, to worship songs like "I Can Only Imagine" becoming mainstream hits, evangelical Christians having their own reality TV shows, mega churches going up in affluent neighborhoods, and on and on.

There are several more good points made in the article, but it concludes with:
    Surveys are a blunt instrument for understanding changes in culture—more of a weather vane than a Doppler radar.
    And yet, these results are a reminder that people’s beliefs matter. Religious convictions shape people’s specific fears about cultural change and newcomers, and they have those fears partly because they care about being able to practice their faith freely. Those who disagree with these Americans might offer easy explanations, from bigotry to xenophobia to stupidity, to explain their feelings of fear, but those reasons don’t seem sufficient. America is not just changing demographically—it’s becoming more religiously and ideologically diverse. Some Christians seem to feel that change acutely, and wonder whether the new era of diversity will leave room for what was once assumed to be the standard of American belief.
    Change seems to be a major reason that evangelical Christians feel threatened.
    And yet change is always going on, and in my younger years, this produced the same reaction in Christians. In my late teens, the major perceived threats by Christians were Dungeons and Dragons and other role playing games, people living together without being married, and of course rock music. A few years later in my 20s, it was the "new age movement", which according to authors like Dave Hunt was even infiltrating Christianity.

Also feeding into this are a couple of perennial evangelical Christian beliefs:
    1.) "The world" which the Bible says hates Christ and His true followers is society in general, all the non-religious people and people of other faiths out there, regardless of time or historical context.
    2.) The government of the antichrist is perpetually very close, just around the corner, and even in the process of forming.
    Last edited by Zathrus; 03-20-2017 at 05:02 AM.
    Establishing the law by receiving the righteousness which is by faith, without the deeds of the law!

2 Cor 3 "11For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious."

Certified Chalcedon Compliant
    Officially approved in 451

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zathrus For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (04-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,825 Times in 4,875 Posts
    Blog Entries

Feeling like one is discriminated against does not make it so. But that doubt does not make it false either. I suspect both sides would prefer it was not true.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 4,294,967,295 Posts

Look at the Middle East in just the past few days. Yes, Christians (evangelical or not) are being persecuted.
    "The mind is like a parachute; it functions only when it is open." Coe

Thanks
    Thanked 5,825 Times in 4,875 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmldn2 View Post
    Look at the Middle East in just the past few days. Yes, Christians (evangelical or not) are being persecuted.
    I thought the survey was in a western country. No question Christians experience discrimination and MORE in Muslim nations. Discrimation would be a welcome relief for those Christians.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    I thought the survey was in a western country.
    True. The article concerns itself with American Christians.
    Establishing the law by receiving the righteousness which is by faith, without the deeds of the law!

2 Cor 3 "11For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious."

Certified Chalcedon Compliant
    Officially approved in 451

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zathrus For This Useful Post:

Dottie (04-16-2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think the problem is mostly the loss of respect of religious beliefs. It has become tertiary at best for most people.

Separation of church and state has been mostly turned into suppression of the church by the state and being able to take liberty has become more important than liberty itself.

Living outside the US gives one a hugely different perspective. Everyone should try it.
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I would say yes, but point out discrimination comes in all forms.
    Of course most American blacks are Christian and they face discrimination of all kinds (including in their favor).
    Most American Hispanics and Latinios are Christian and they are being attacked in every way lately.
    Many Lebanese and Indian-Americans are Christians, and some of them are discriminated against because they're Muslim (even though they aren't)!
    Plain white women are considered minorities, Christian or not, and the Christians among them must endure every form of abuse.

I've experienced the following:
    Being forced to break commandments to get or keep a job or have any hope of promotion,
    Lack of invitations to family gatherings for fear I'll disrupt the proceedings with religious talk,
    Chronic abuse from co-workers who know that as a Christian I should not retaliate.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 1,182 Posts

Hard to imagine christians being discriminated against when AM radio, cable, Sirius radio, TV, and major movies are constantly airing religious programming...and don't forget the numerous amounts of various congregations within a mile of our homes. One wonders if "discriminated American Evangelicals" had to suffer martyrdom today if they would try to get Joel Olstein to motivate them with happy thoughts instead of facing death for their faith.
    Theology is the fine art of making simple facts complex assertions...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rene For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (04-22-2017), Zathrus (04-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 858 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rene View Post
    Hard to imagine christians being discriminated against when AM radio, cable, Sirius radio, TV, and major movies are constantly airing religious programming...and don't forget the numerous amounts of various congregations within a mile of our homes. One wonders if "discriminated American Evangelicals" had to suffer martyrdom today if they would try to get Joel Olstein to motivate them with happy thoughts instead of facing death for their faith.
    I think by discriminated against they mean things like same sex marriage being legalised. They should move to Australia, we haven't progressed that far, even though polls show 75% of us are in favour of same sex marriage the politicians prefer to use it as a platform to get elected.
    And the officer said, "better get a lawyer son, better get a real good one".

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John53 For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (04-22-2017), Zathrus (04-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John53 View Post
    I think by discriminated against they mean things like same sex marriage being legalised. They should move to Australia, we haven't progressed that far, even though polls show 75% of us are in favour of same sex marriage the politicians prefer to use it as a platform to get elected.
    I can understand how, from a limited perspective, it maybe viewed as discrimination. On the other hand it can also be called exercise of liberty in the pursuit of happiness in America. Sadly I think to often religious types define freedom as agreeing with their agenda.
    Theology is the fine art of making simple facts complex assertions...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rene For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (04-22-2017), John53 (04-22-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast