Page 119 of 151 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1510

Thread: Misinterpretation of 1 John 3:9

Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 1,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    So if my sorrow has worked repentance in me, then that must mean that the sorrow of the world works repentance. Either that, or you don't know the first thing about my sorrow.
    If you are now freed from sin, your sorrow was of the Godly sort.
    But people who continue to herald their lack of belief can't be sin free.

Maybe I do have faith in it, maybe not (which tells me I probably don't . I never said I had no faith at all. But if I have faith in it, it did not come from me.
    Those, who's desire it is to do the will of God, are lead by the spirit of God. The former is a result of the latter.
    Your games don't fool God

You said you were searching for a way to please God, but you were hiding from the way you knew how. What was the thing that changed your attitude? Was it perhaps gaining faith in what you already knew was the answer?
    I learned that there were others who sought the same thing as I.
    They found it and presented it to me.

No, God is not hiding. Faith is "hiding", though. Do you honestly believe it is possible to faithlessly serve God above all else? Do you have an example from scripture of someone without faith in God, serving God completely?
    No, to both questions.
    And faith doesn't "hide".
    It can be hidden by its owner, though.

Nor am I in any way. I can only assume you can see your error now, given that you are avoiding addressing my concern.
    The only "concern" I sense from you is whether or not I will continue your game.

In what way? Bigger? Stronger? Pumps more blood through your body? Have you shared the schematics with God, so he can have a go at making one?
    It is accusing you, not me. If you had ears to hear.
    There are many trains at the station, and I know many who have stepped onto your train, because they have read the screen and it says "This way to eternal life", and they have called out to me "Quick, Hayden! Get on, it's leaving!". But I won't listen to them. Instead, I will go to the station master and say to him "Please direct me to the train that leads to eternal life." And he will lead me to the correct train. I will not chose a train, I will go into the train that he points to.
    Pick another playground.
    "Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins." (Ja 5:20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GeneZ View Post
    You are calling the Cross, ineffectual, and God a liar... For, if you utilized the blood of Jesus as found in 1 John 1:9, as God's basis for cleansing and forgiveness. The sorrow for ones sins is lifted and gives us forgetting of what is behind.
    Your thinking is flawed.

1 John 1:7-10
    But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus,
    his Son, purifies us from all sin. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
    If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all
    unrighteousness.
    If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.
    You should be REJOICING in God's provision to be made free of sin!
    Oh I am!
    But God's forgiveness of me doesn't cause me to be negligent to repay those I have previously harmed.

The sorrow that 2 Corinthians speaks of? Is about God's process of our repentance (the changing of our thinking) that takes place when the Word enters our hearts and transforms us out from our old ways of the world we once knew.. the way of life we had been inculcated into. That sorrow (sorrow as God would have it) is like that one mourning for a friend who just died. For, our old friend, was our old self!
    There is sorrow God causes because this inward death that takes place demands a time of loneliness and pain as we find we can no longer can relate to the world in a way that once caused us pleasure and comfort. That sorrow God caused reveals the spiritual process that takes place demanding that we persevere onward in our growing in grace and knowledge of Christ... While in sorrow the new man is being formed in us making us able to take on the new life that gives us a new kind of stability and joy according to the new way of thinking that the Spirit brings to life in wise believers... Sadly though, willfully ignorant believers will cling to their own way of thinking. And will do so by manipulating the Word as a means to fit their own desired outcome ending in stupidity. That is where we get false doctrinal teachings. Which is arrogance personified in the name of Christ!
    ]2 Corinthians 3:17-18
    Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is
    freedom. And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lordís
    glory, are being transformed into his image [U][I]with ever-increasing glory
    which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
    We are not to have sorrow over our past sins! To think so is to misread what the Word is telling us. and is a denial that Jesus took that very punishment upon Himself while on the Cross!
    If we simply acknowledged our sins at the time we recognized them! Then, the blood of Jesus purifies us, and God forgives.
    If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all
    unrighteousness.
    [/SIZE]1 John 1:9
    To continue to sorrow endlessly? Is likened to saying God really did not cleanse and forgive when we confessed our sins to Him,,, But instead, God put us on probation. Thus making us? The authors of our own salvation. That is having sorrow according to arrogant stupidity. Believers like that are a pain to be around. A sorrow to bear.
    You're not sorry for hurting folks while you were still an unbeliever?
    I can't identify with that kind of man.

I will compliment your use of 1 John 1:7 and 9 to show you know we CAN say we have no sin.
    "Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins." (Ja 5:20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,381 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philip2 View Post
    "Hearing" can't come by reading. Unless you are reading out loud.
    You can silently read the word of God and hear it, and you can read it aloud and not hear it. You can hear the word of God and not be reading anything. Hearing does not come from reading, although it can come from reading. When we read the Bible, we are only reading what God had spoken to someone in time past, we need to hear God in the present.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sojourning For This Useful Post:

Geoff (04-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,381 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hope.
    I heard a message, saw it's results in others, and had faith it would work in me too.

I can't remember ever saying that, but in a nutshell, it is correct.
    Have you ever flown in a plane?
    When did you have faith that it would actually get up into the air?
    I'm sure you looked around at all the others who were boarding the plane and figured they knew something you didn't, and because they believed, you did too.
    And yes, I have done "that".
    Are you saying we can actually put faith in something that is not a sure thing? It matters not what you or others believe, no one can be sure that plane will make it to where its going. The only way this could happen is that if God himself would give his assurance that the plane would reach its destination, but then your faith would still not be in the plane, but in God.

I had believed that there was a Jesus, and that He had died for my sins, since I was a little kid, but had never been told that I could serve Him without fault. When I first heard I could please Him without stumbling, backsliding, erring, trespassing, sinning ever again, I was all in.
    It took about an hour between hearing I could be perfect and getting baptized to kill the old self.
    Are you a Trinitarian, or a Oneness? Its usually the Oneness who put the emphasis on being baptized in Jesus' name.

Thanks

"Hearing" can't come by reading. Unless you are reading out loud.
    I can't understand you, you'll have to speak up!

Geoff.
    God cannot give us anything without (Him) first growing our faith to a point where our faith enables Him to issue forth the power to effect His desired result. (Rom. 4:16 revelation)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Geoff For This Useful Post:

hayden (04-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourning View Post
    You can silently read the word of God and hear it, and you can read it aloud and not hear it. You can hear the word of God and not be reading anything. Hearing does not come from reading, although it can come from reading. When we read the Bible, we are only reading what God had spoken to someone in time past, we need to hear God in the present.
    Dear soj,
    Biblical Hebrew had no tenses: There is no such thing as "tense" in biblical Hebrew. (Modern Hebrew, on the other hand, does have tenses.) Biblical Hebrew is not a "tense" language. Modern grammarians recognize that it is an "aspectual" language. This means that the same form of a verb can be translated as either past, present, or future depending on the context and various grammatical cues. The most well known grammatical cue is the "vav-consecutive" that makes an imperfective verb to refer to the past. http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/...n/hebrtens.htm

That is why it is known as the living bible. What was, will be. Nothing is new under the sun. Without the Spirit of prophecy (Mt 16:17), one can hear and yet not perceive, one can see and not understand. (Mt 13:13). If you don't believe it, visit this bible-discussion.

New American Standard Bible Matthew 13:13
    "Therefore I speak to them in parables; because while seeing they do not see, and while hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.

Thanks

Hearing does not come from reading, although it can come from reading.
    Is that your double mindedness showing?

Thanks

Are you saying we can actually put faith in something that is not a sure thing? It matters not what you or others believe, no one can be sure that plane will make it to where its going. The only way this could happen is that if God himself would give his assurance that the plane would reach its destination, but then your faith would still not be in the plane, but in God.
    My would you need faith, if "it" is a sure thing?

Its usually the Oneness who put the emphasis on being baptized in Jesus' name.
    That is what Peter said in Acts 2:38.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,822 Posts
    Blog Entries

Your thinking is flawed.

Oh I am!
    But God's forgiveness of me doesn't cause me to be negligent to repay those I have previously harmed.

You're not sorry for hurting folks while you were still an unbeliever?
    I can't identify with that kind of man.

I will compliment your use of 1 John 1:7 and 9 to show you know we CAN say we have no sin.
    Sir? Are you a new believer? That sort of reality should take place during our initial steps into repentance. Not for someone who has matured and is benefiting from the power of grace.

If you are not a new believer? Then you never advanced in grace and knowledge. Instead, you keep relieving what should have been outgrown and long behind you, like graduating elementary school..
    God has two dwellings:
    one in heaven, and the other
    in a meek and thankful heart.
    Izaak Walton
    (1593-1683)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,822 Posts
    Blog Entries

...............I hear you!

Hearing means understanding... Hearing (understanding) the Word of God brings faith. (Romans 10:17)

He said, “Go and tell this people:
    “‘Be ever hearing, but never understanding;
    be ever seeing, but never perceiving.’

God has two dwellings:
    one in heaven, and the other
    in a meek and thankful heart.
    Izaak Walton
    (1593-1683)