Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153
Results 1,521 to 1,524 of 1524

Thread: Misinterpretation of 1 John 3:9

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by An Onymous Brother View Post
    And you cannot be without sin while in this world. The scriptures tell me so.
    2 For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.
    8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    You don't have to keep deceiving yourself.
    You continue to make the mistake of equating the terms "sinner" and "Christian".
    It is written..."And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
    He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." (1 John 2:3-6)

The people who say they have fellowship with God, but continue to offend Him, are liars.

You don't have to keep misdirecting 1 John 1:8.
    It is aimed at those who walk in darkness.
    They cannot say they have no sin.
    "Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins." (Ja 5:20)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LynnCF View Post
    The answer was there in the verse I gave... evidently you cannot read...
    Of course I can.

6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. 7 But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.

That is why I ask the question:

How do you know you do the will of God at all times? Just because you say so?

Puhleeeze

Eph 4:25 Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.

1 John 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

When you are "counting sins", you are no longer under Grace.

You are under Law.

I have been freed from Law.
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philip2 View Post
    You continue to make the mistake of equating the terms "sinner" and "Christian".
    It is written..."And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
    He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." (1 John 2:3-6)

The people who say they have fellowship with God, but continue to offend Him, are liars.

You don't have to keep misdirecting 1 John 1:8.
    It is aimed at those who walk in darkness.
    They cannot say they have no sin.
    You keep equating "Law" with "Grace"

If you are counting sins, you are under Law.

I am under Grace.

So I can truthfully apply:

1 John 5:
    3 And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.
    4 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.
    5 You know that he appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.
    6 No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.
    7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous.
    8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.
    9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God.
    10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.

James 3:
    2 For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.

1 John 1:
    8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

While you cannot acknowledge the "we" the last two scriptures, where the apostles are addressing Christians. Thus denying your compliance with 1 John 5.
    "You [the Father], the Only True God" -- Jesus Christ (1st Century CE)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,590 Times in 4,676 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philip2 View Post
    Lynn says there is no sin on earth anymore, as Christ came to take it away.
    She says that what used to be called "sin" is now "just" called "crime".
    We pay for "crime" on earth, but won't in heaven...(I think)
    OK, for her the wrong we do is no longer called "sin" just "crime" which is supposed to make a difference, right? So Jesus came to take away the word we use to describe wrong?
    I say that all men can live as Christ commanded us to walk, in the light, in Christ, perfect as our Father which is in heaven is perfect, and that He has given us the means to do just that.
    Repentance from sin, forever.
    Baptism in Jesus' name for the remission of past sins.
    Romans 6:3-7 tells us what else happens at baptism: the death of the old man and resurrection with Christ to walk in newness of life.
    The end result? Verse 7..."For he that is dead is freed from sin".
    Thanks for clarifying your position. How does one repent forever? "Repent" is a verb. How does one do this forever? Repentence is not pleasant and that does not sound at all nice.
    It IS a matter of what you personally "like".
    No it is not.I say it for intellectual reasons. When MM says it is just cause I don't like it, it is downgrading my reason. I have no personal stake in what any of you think about God or sin or your own righeousness. None at all.
    If I write that all sinners will end up in the lake of fire, and you have already said that you continue to sin, can you take offense if I write that YOU will end up in a lake of fire?
    No, because you leave out the blood of Jesus that cleanses us from sin. We confess our sin and he will forgiven. What you probably do not realize is that when a person walks with God, what is sin for them changes with time. "Others can but you cannot" is what happens to those who want to know God more closely. He pinpoints those acts that one is no longer allowed to do. Those things become sin. Now they always were but we were unaware of it and only accountable when the Holy Spirit shines his light on it. So there is no God forgives blanket all sin and it need not ever be addressed again.
    The whole debate would be moot, if you would "turn from" sin.
    How do you know that I sin? Of what sin do you accuse me? Please be specific with evidence.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."