Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Was the flood of Genesis local to the continent of Australia?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John53 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still small View Post
    Once again, my eternal salvation is in no way affected by the age of Uluru, the Earth or Creation. So you would be wrong, it is a totally separate issue.

Have a good day!
    Still small
    We both know that not to be true. (At least that's the way it appears to me.)
    What is it about 'eternal salvation' that causes you to believe that my eternal salvation is affected 'by the age of Uluru, the Earth or Creation'? What, in your opinion, is 'eternal salvation' dependent upon?

Have a good day!
    Still small

Thanks
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Taikoo;1297032][QUOTE=5555;1297025
    Perhaps you are familiar with the concept of a "representative sample"?
    How might it apply here?
    Yes, they also say, "If at first you do not succeed, quit, for lo, it is crazy to try again."
    Ah so, self loathing.
    You sure can concoct wild conclusions based on nothing but your own
    mind, such as it is.
    Now, I do not doubt that you, personally, suffer grievously from a lack of info.
    You clearly dont know squat about geology. Those who do, tho, are aware of such things as that there was no flood.
    All your "statements of faith" are prompted by malice? You've a prob, bro, if so.
    Pretty much every place has had local floods. A great deal of Australia is
    made up of rock of marine origin.
    I will leave those who will to dispute your indisputable bible-readin'.
    your numbers are correct, but the rate of seafloor spreading
    and other aspects of plate tectonics is well evidenced. One can, for example,
    see how wide the Atlanatic was 20 million years ago by dating the rock
    and measuring how far it is from the present mid ocean rift.
    This stuff takes work but it is conceptually simple.
    Hint: Grades are directly proportional to study.
    "Force you to believe"? weird.
    What, btw, makes you as a presumptive Christian, comfortable is
    falsely accusing me of "malice"? How do you rationalize that?[/QUOTE]
    Long ago Taikoo you pointed out that my geology teacher (who had no consideration of the Bible) was badly misrepresenting geology. If I learned it wrong from someone who believes what he was teaching how can we assume anyone learned it right? Also I assume things taught right in geology class 35 years ago are now considered wrong, so a generational rift exists among non-geologists who took geology and learned no more about it since long ago.
    It barely matters, but in this instance I was using what he said about rivers, simply figuring out how long it takes one pebble to go the length of a river and multiplying by the number of pebbles at the mouth of a river to get the approximate age of the river.

What was that called? Uniformitarianism?

Is that calculation involved in plate tectonics?

The Bible allows me only to believe that the Americas never touched Europe or Africa (but perhaps the Bering landbridge existed as recently as 3500 years ago), or that Pangea existed until about 2000 bc.
    In the latter case it started fast and slowed down before anyone noticed. Obviously that could have happened over millions of years as well.

That brings me back to a question I asked years ago. No one understood it then. Do geologists ever argue whether something happened 3 billion years ago versus 2.4 billion years ago? That type of disagreement should come up sometimes shouldn't it? Otherwise geology is a cult.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789