Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Being "one" in Christ Jesus (Galatians 3:28)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6,948

    Default Being "one" in Christ Jesus (Galatians 3:28)

    Galatians 3:28
    There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus (NASB).

    1. This text has nothing to do with a wife not being required to be submissive to her husband as her head/lord.
    http://forum.bible-discussion.com/sh...-in-godly-fear
    It refers to our soteriological standing in the eyes of God. We are all equal in terms of salvation.
    Verse 25 - Faith
    Verse 26 - Sonship
    Verse 27 - Baptism with the Holy Spirit which places a person into the body of Christ
    Verse 28 - There are no "second class" Christians.
    Verse 29 - Heirs of Abraham
    a. NIDNTT: This, however, is not a call to abolish all earthly relationships. Rather, it puts these relationships in the perspective of salvation history. As Paul goes on to say, "And if you are Christ's then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise" (Gal. 3:29; cf. also Rom. 10:2). All who are in Christ have the same status before God; but they do not necessarily have the same function. In the context of the circumcision question in Gal., the assertion is doubly relevant. For women could not be recipients of the sign which Judaizers were insisting as a prerequisite for full salvation (2:570, Man, C. Brown).
    b. Mounce: In the church of God, when dealing with salvation, there are no barriers (Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, Man, page 435).
    Last edited by rhino; 02-11-2016 at 11:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,949
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Galatians 3:28
    There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus (NASB).

    1. This text has nothing to do with a wife not being required to be submissive to her husband as her head/lord.
    http://forum.bible-discussion.com/sh...-in-godly-fear
    It refers to our soteriological standing in the eyes of God. We are all equal in terms of salvation.
    Verse 25 - Faith
    Verse 26 - Sonship
    Verse 27 - Baptism with the Holy Spirit which places a person into the body of Christ
    Verse 28 - There are no "second class" Christians.
    Verse 29 - Heirs of Abraham
    a. NIDNTT: This, however, is not a call to abolish all earthly relationships. Rather, it puts these relationships in the perspective of salvation history. As Paul goes on to say, "And if you are Christ's then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise" (Gal. 3:29; cf. also Rom. 10:2). All who are in Christ have the same status before God; but they do not necessarily have the same function. In the context of the circumcision question in Gal., the assertion is doubly relevant. For women could not be recipients of the sign which Judaizers were insisting as a prerequisite for full salvation (2:570, Man, C. Brown).
    b. Mounce: In the church of God, when dealing with salvation, there are no barriers (Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, Man, page 435).
    So then you accept the fact that in the congregations there were males and females, husbands and wives, slaves and masters, Jews and Gentiles?

    So what do you mean by.... All who are in Christ have the same status before God?

    There were those like the apostles who were spiritually mature, and there were those, mainly Gentiles who were babes in Christ, they were carnal. As Paul says in Romans 3, Jews had great advantage over Gentiles, because it was the Jews who had received God's holy oracles.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sojourning View Post
    So then you accept the fact that in the congregations there were males and females, husbands and wives, slaves and masters, Jews and Gentiles?

    So what do you mean by.... All who are in Christ have the same status before God?

    There were those like the apostles who were spiritually mature, and there were those, mainly Gentiles who were babes in Christ, they were carnal. As Paul says in Romans 3, Jews had great advantage over Gentiles, because it was the Jews who had received God's holy oracles.
    The Jews had the advantage of having the Old Testament writings that pointed to Christ.

    All who are in Christ (regardless of the descriptions listed in Galatians 3:28) are equally Christians. Those who are Jews are not "superior" Christians in the eyes of God over the Gentiles - the same holds true concerning the rest.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,949
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    The Jews had the advantage of having the Old Testament writings that pointed to Christ.
    What it says is the Jews had great advantage, because it was to them that God had given his oracles. Or to them God had given his words, God had spoken to them through Moses and the prophets, they had a knowledge of God that the Gentiles did not have. As Yeshua himself said, the Jews knew what they wroshiped, and he said, salvation is of the Jews.

    The oracles were much more than Old Testament writings that pointed to Christ, they were God's instructions in how to live in fellowship with God. It showed them what was good, and what YHVH required of his people.

    All who are in Christ (regardless of the descriptions listed in Galatians 3:28) are equally Christians. Those who are Jews are not "superior" Christians in the eyes of God over the Gentiles - the same holds true concerning the rest.
    Jews may not be superior, but at the time Paul was writing, the Jews were much more knowledgeable in the things of God, and what happened, according to Paul, is that the Gentiles were becoming partakers of the Jews' spiritual things, their covenants and promises.

    As Paul also said, Rom 2:17 Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God, And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law; And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness, An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, having in the Law the embodiment of knowledge and of the truth.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sojourning View Post
    Jews may not be superior, but at the time Paul was writing, the Jews were much more knowledgeable in the things of God
    The Jews were definitely not superior in their standing in Christ in contrast to the Gentiles (Galatians 3:28).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    lived in 5 states traveled extensively in Europe middle East and Asia.
    Posts
    15,203
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    God's original intention was for the Jews to evangelize the world, that "advantage" was meant as a service to the world and not for them to glorify themselves. Needless to say the Jews did not do that, just read Jonah to see what their real attitude was. The principle is the greater will serve the lesser, witness Jesus washing the feet of the apostles in the upper room.

    We all still remember the valley of dry bones where the two houses were re-united into a single stick. There was to be no differentiation.
    "Any jackass can kick down a barn," former U.S. Houston Speaker Sam Rayburn once said with his famous Texas bluntness, "but it takes a good carpenter to build one."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,404
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    The Jews had the advantage of having the Old Testament writings that pointed to Christ.

    All who are in Christ (regardless of the descriptions listed in Galatians 3:28) are equally Christians. Those who are Jews are not "superior" Christians in the eyes of God over the Gentiles - the same holds true concerning the rest.
    The Jews had and have many advantages. Even accepting their language and culture is an advantage.

    Gentiles go by the Greek language, not the Hebrew. That language reflected who God is. The structure of the language is different and unique, every letter has a meaning. Even how the letters are formed relates to the hidden and deeper meaning of the letters, and so to the Hebrew words.

    Almost the entire OT scripture was originally in Hebrew and most of the NT. Constantine had most of the original Hebrew texts of the NT destroyed, but early Christian Fathers have told us of the original Hebrew texts.

    God did not give gentile men the task of writing down His words and thoughts in scripture. Even Luke had a Hebrew father and grew up in a Hebrew household.

    We are told to honor the Jews, although no scripture tells us they are superior at all. We are to honor them for the work God gave them to do for us.

    To be one with Christ, in the Hebrew way of thinking, requires many different depth of understanding. The Lord teaches us very like modern schoolteachers teach children. If, for example, they teach subtraction they will use such as blocks and ask what happens if some are taken away. It is teaching through many different senses. In the same way we are taught about being one in Christ the same way.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    48,891

    Default

    (1) The Father, (2) the Messiah, and (3) all who belong to the Messiah, are one.

    Only one in this triad is the one true God.

    Spoiler alert.

    *
    *
    *
    *
    *

    The Father.
    The hound of Jewish monotheism.

    "For us there is one God. He is the Father." (I Corinthians 8:6)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    10,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattathias View Post
    (1) The Father, (2) the Messiah, and (3) all who belong to the Messiah, are one.

    Only one in this triad is the one true God.

    Spoiler alert.

    *
    *
    *
    *
    *

    The Father.
    One too many

    Roger
    It is not God that kills the children, not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs.
    It's us. Only us. - Rorschach

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    48,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
    One too many
    One too many in the eyes of an atheist.
    The hound of Jewish monotheism.

    "For us there is one God. He is the Father." (I Corinthians 8:6)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •