Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: Daily Devotional June 2015

Thanks

Stop Trying and Start Trusting

by Joyce Meyer - posted May 27, 2017

[Not in your own strength] for it is God Who is all the while effectually at work in you [energizing and creating in you the power and desire], both to will and to work for His good pleasure and satisfaction and delight.
    —Philippians 2:13

Most of us desire the good life God has planned for us, but we recognize areas in our lives that need to be changed. Many times you set out to make those changes, yet in spite of your best efforts, you seem powerless to make it happen.

Trying to bring about change through your own strength and plans will always result in frustration. God is waiting for you to stop trying to change and start trusting Him to change you.

If you need to make changes in your thoughts, attitudes, and behavior, understand that you can't do it by yourself. Spend time with God and ask for His help—after all, if He can't do it, it can't be done. But He can . . . and He will!

Thanks

Help!

by Joyce Meyer - posted May 28, 2017

For I the Lord your God hold your right hand; I am the Lord, Who says to you, Fear not; I will help you!
    —Isaiah 41:13

No matter how well we may think we run our lives, the truth is that we need help with everything. We need all kinds of help in our everyday lives. Often, realizing how much help we need takes a long time. We like to believe we can do whatever needs to be done independently and without assistance.

However, the Lord sent us a Divine Helper; therefore, we must need help. Jesus Himself continually intercedes for us as He sits at the right hand of God (see Hebrews 7:25; Romans 8:34), and that tells us that we continually need God's intervention in our lives. We are actually very needy and totally unable to handle life properly on our own.

Although we may seem to manage ourselves and our lives well for awhile, sooner or later something happens and things begin to fall apart if we are living in our own strength instead of receiving divine help.

Many times, we do fine until trouble comes. It may come in the form of a broken marriage, the death of a loved one, the loss of a job, or something else that is important to us. But eventually, we all reach a point where we have to recognize our neediness.

If we want to live life the way God intended—filled with righteousness, peace, and joy (see Romans 14:17), we have to admit that we need help and we have to receive it from the Holy Spirit, the One God sent to help us.

Thanks

May 29
    Wise up and live
    For reading & meditation: Proverbs 1:1-19
    "For attaining wisdom and discipline; for understanding words of insight" (v.2)

We set out to explore some of the great and thrilling themes of the book of Proverbs. I have no hesitation in saying that, as far as practical matters are concerned, it has influenced my thinking and colored my judgments more than any other book of the Bible. I shall never forget my pastor taking my aside just after I had been converted and saying, "I am going to teach you to steal, to drink, to lie and to swear." Seeing my astonishment, he quickly went on to add, "I want to teach you how to steal time out of every day to read something from the book of Proverbs. And then I want to teach you how to drink from its clear, refreshing waters, to lie on your bed at night and meditate on its great themes and to swear that by the grace of God you will put into practice its wonderful teaching." We begin with the question: What is the purpose of Proverbs? Our text for today gives us the clue. Listen to how the Living Bible paraphrases it: "He [Solomon] wrote them to teach his people how to live - how to act in every circumstance" (1:2). This then is what Proverbs is all about - wisdom for living. Multitudes know how to make a living but they do not know how to live. They know everything about life except how to live it. I tell you, the more you understand the book of Proverbs, and the more you put its truths and principles into practice, the more effective will be your living. I guarantee it.

Prayer:
    O Father, help me come to grips with the wisdom that enables me not just to live, but to live abundantly. I want to know what I need to do as a person to get on in life. Through the ancient but inspired words of Proverbs teach me how. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

For further study:
    Ecclesiastes 7; Psalms 104:24; Proverbs 3:19
    1. What is God's creation built on?
    2. What does wisdom preserve?

Thanks

The Stages of Our Christian Life

MAY 29, 2017

MONDAY
    Philippians 1:5-7

Each Christian’s journey is unique. Yet certain stages of growth should be common to all of God’s children. For example:

• The Lord wants to teach new followers basic principles as a foundation on which to build. He expresses these truths through other believers, His Word, and life circumstances.

• God allows us to serve Him. We were created to do good works, and this becomes evident as Christians glorify Jesus (Eph. 2:10).

• The Lord lets us experience “frustrated inadequacy.” Pride and self-confidence are threats to spiritual growth. Therefore, our Father brings us to the place where we realize we can achieve nothing of value without divine guidance and power.

• To make freedom a reality, the Father brings His children face to face with whatever holds them captive. We often carry hurts, fears, or other baggage and on our own have no idea how to gain victory. God allows us to struggle through such issues with His help. As we surrender to Him and seek His perspective, He works to liberate us.

• The Lord teaches us how to live the “exchanged life” (Gal. 2:20). Our sinful nature has been crucified with Christ, and the Savior’s life is expressed through us as we surrender to the Holy Spirit’s influence.

Do you recognize these stages as you look back over your walk with Christ? Perhaps you can identify an area where God still needs to work in your life. Is there anything standing in the way of allowing Him to live fully through you? Surrender to the Holy Spirit, asking Him to help you become more like Jesus.

Bible in One Year: Nehemiah 11-13

Thanks

Come as a Little Child

by Joyce Meyer - posted May 29, 2017

And He called a little child to Himself and put himself in the midst of them, and said, Truly I say to you, unless you repent (change, turn about) and become like little children [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving], you can never enter the kingdom of heaven...
    —Matthew 18:2-3

One thing children are not is complicated. Children have no trouble letting you know what they want, running into your arms when they are afraid, or giving you a big generous kiss, sometimes for no apparent reason. They are not sophisticated enough to hide their hearts or feelings very well, and as a result, communicating with them can be easy and refreshing.

That's the way God wants us to be when we talk to Him. We need to approach God with childlike simplicity and faith. Just as children are naturally inclined to trust their parents completely, we also need to be guileless, pure, and free from doubt as we trust God. Then we can experience God's miracle-working power and see things change.

We do not want to be childish in our relationships with God; we want to be childlike. The Lord is not looking for complicated relationships. He is looking for sincere hearts and childlike faith. He wants us to approach Him as little children approach people they love. He wants us to let Him know what we want (see Philippians 4:6) and to run to Him when we feel threatened or afraid (Psalm 91:1-7). He wants us to show our affection for Him, sometimes for no apparent reason (see Psalm 34:1) and to share our hearts openly with Him (see Psalm 62:8).

Love God Today: “Lord, help me to have a pure, simple, childlike faith and love for You.”

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738