Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What sets humans apart from other animals?

Thanks

Default What sets humans apart from other animals?

I hope this is the proper forum for this..

Many people think they are superior to all animals. Many don't consider Humans to be animals at all, but something seperate and different..better.

Here are some questions that I hope will spark discussion;

Is there any unique possitive quality that humans have that no other animal has?

:?: Do (other) animals have souls?

:?: In what way are YOU better than a chimpanzee?
    :?: In what way is a chimpanzee better than you?

:?: What is more degrading:

having an ape as an ancestor
    or having dirt as an ancestor ?

:?: What is worse, killing an entire species of, say, birds, or killing one human?

I will anwer, too.
    Post more questions if you have any.

Thanks

Is there any unique possitive quality that humans have that no other animal has?

No. I have yet to see anything that sets humans aside from other animals that is not in degree. That is, we may be smarter than a rabbit or frog, but both animals have intelligence.
    [I have pondered and re-pondered this question many a time..If any one has information I have overlooked, please share!]

Do (other) animals have souls?

I would say YES, but maybe not ALL animals. most mammals clearly do (as far as I'm concerend). I don't know about worms or bacteria...

In what way are YOU better than a chimpanzee?

I don't consider myself better than a chimpanzee. But if you'd like a forced answer, I would say my upbringing in this futuristic society with so much knowledge at my fingertips.

In what way is a chimpanzee better than you?

I don't consider chimps as being better than humans, either.
    But, if I must.. chimps (in the wild, at least) have a more natural lifesyle.

What is more degrading:

Dirt. I don't consider having an ape as an ancestor degrading. (in fact, some scientists classify humans as apes, so either way.)

(This question is a bit biased, as it ignores the idea that in Genesis the dirt is mixed with the Holy Spirit. )

What is worse, killing an entire species of, say, birds, or killing one human?

They are both very bad..but my answer is the bird species.
    In certein scenarios it would depend, though. for example, if it was accidental..or If the human you killed was the last human alive, thus you have killed that species.
    If it were a matter of saving the bird species or homo sapiens, i would have to choose us humans.

Thanks

I think human beings are a special creation of God, and therefore we have dominion over all creation.

Human beings are different from all other animals as far as we know, our minds deal with sybolism and abstract thought.

I do not think other animals have a human spirit that experiences pleasure or pain in the afterlife. When the Bible indicates some animals have souls, the reference is to the fact that some animals have core attitudes and personality. (Perhaps less than we image and ascribe.)

If a choice has to be made to save the life of a human or an animal, I would choose to save the human every time.

No matter what our ancestry is, it is not degrading.

I think it is important to preserve the diversity of life as we know it, to be good stewards, because I am unsure God would create new kinds of life to replace those we thoughtlessly destroyed. The godless left never explains why they worry, since new species would evolve to replace the old.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Van.

Quote Originally Posted by Van
    Human beings are different from all other animals as far as we know, our minds deal with sybolism and abstract thought.
    What about the great apes? have you read much about chimps and gorillas using sign language, or seen any paintings by them? I am convinced that other animals can deal with symbolism and abstract thought. Also, at what point would you say that a human can deal with symbolism and abstract thought? does that mean that before they reach a certein age they are not trully human?

There is a painting by Koko the gorilla called "love", i will try to post it.

I do not think other animals have a human spirit that experiences pleasure or pain in the afterlife. When the Bible indicates some animals have souls...
    Why would another animal have a human spirit?

I wasn't aware that the bible indicates that some animals have souls. Can you post the verses?

I think it is important to preserve the diversity of life as we know it, to be good stewards
    Good! Me too.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Note!

Hi Adam_Love, I don't mind anyone posting pictures, as long as they can get them small enough, that they don't stretch the page all out of shape.
    Thanks.
    Nobby

Thanks

The godless left pushes the myth that some animals, some primates, can deal with abstraction. Recall "Project X."

However, careful study has shown that other primates think differently than we do. And yes, when we are born, our ability to think abstractly appears to not be developed, but after about age three (I do not recall the specifics) our minds exhibit capabilites beyond any primate of any age.

Our humanness is not dependent upon what we can do, but upon who we are. Again, the view that we are defined by our abilities is the view of the godless left. The preborn can't fend for themselves, thus they are a lump of flesh rather than a human being. Old folks with no prospect of contributing ever again are a drag and thus should be eliminated like excess baggage.

Thanks

'LOVE by Koko
    This was the result when Koko was asked to paint her interpretation of the emotion love.
    8 x 10 acrylic on canvas, 1983'

Here is a link to more paintings..if that is okay:

http://www.koko.org/world/art.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Love
    Here is a link to more paintings..if that is okay:

http://www.koko.org/world/art.html
    Fascinating.

I agree with you that at least mammals have souls. More philosophically, I am inclined to agree that all things have soul in some sense. That includes not only all forms of life but also all forms of inanimate matter.

Everything has "interiority" to use the term chosen by Teilhard de Chardin, to distinguish the "spiritual" nature of being from the material nature of an object or life-form.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Love
    What is more degrading:

We were not made from mere dirt. We were made from dust, which contains only the finest particles of dirt. 8)
    The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dust
    We were not made from mere dirt. We were made from dust, which contains only the finest particles of dirt. 8)
    Sorry to inform you, but none of us were made from dirt or dust.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast