Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Ps 37:4

Blog Entries

Lightbearer: Praise God for the depth of His Knowledge to Him goes all the Glory.
    A Hearty Amen to that.
    Psalm 117:
    1O praise the LORD, all ye nations: praise him, all ye people. 2For his merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the LORD endureth for ever. Praise ye the LORD.

Rom 11:
    33O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!

Thank you kind Sir.
    Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Hello Dottie, LB and JonMarie! I'm fairly new here, been lurking for quite a bit, but this is my first real post. I have often thought about this scripture. In my younger years I used to wonder if this meant God would literally give you those things you want, like a new car, LOL! Of course now I see this is way off base. God giving us the desires of our heart would mean He is leading us down the path He wishes for us, no? In other words, He puts a desire in our heart to do something - like become a missionary - and that is His will for us...right?

I find this verse particularly encouraging this day and age:

Proverbs 23: 17-18 KJV
    Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the Lord all the day long.
    For surely there is an end; and thine expectation shall not be cut off.

Another one I like:

Luke 12: 15
    And He said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

Re-reading my above post, it almost looks like I'm not quite following the theme of the thread, but I put those two verses up there because, I personally, find myself distracted sometimes by the wealth and prosperity of others around me. Others who I (and I know I shouldn't pretend to know their heart) assume do not have God in their lives. I have to remind myself not to get jealous and then sad because God has not "blessed me" with earthly riches. Its sometimes very helpful to look around at your life and honestly give credit where its due, because God has blessed me in so many ways its ridiculous. Therefore, I must remind myself to focus on what His will would be for my life and not worry about the earthly riches that sometimes tug at my attentions...

Oh and how do you put the little number of the verse up in front of it when you are quoting scripture?

Europe..but have lived/seen about 25 countries of the world
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sirgilbert357 View Post
    Re-reading my above post, it almost looks like I'm not quite following the theme of the thread, but I put those two verses up there because, I personally, find myself distracted sometimes by the wealth and prosperity of others around me. Others who I (and I know I shouldn't pretend to know their heart) assume do not have God in their lives. I have to remind myself not to get jealous and then sad because God has not "blessed me" with earthly riches. Its sometimes very helpful to look around at your life and honestly give credit where its due, because God has blessed me in so many ways its ridiculous. Therefore, I must remind myself to focus on what His will would be for my life and not worry about the earthly riches that sometimes tug at my attentions...

Oh and how do you put the little number of the verse up in front of it when you are quoting scripture?
    Welcome sirgilbert,

Nice first post. JonMarie will have to tell you how she gets those little numbers. Maybe they come with the cut and paste. I dunno.

I know what you mean about not having the financial wherewithal others do. I think also of what Jesus said in that it is very hard for the rich to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. So most of those rich guys better enjoy it now because that is all they got. I used to wonder why Jesus said this until I watched close family get rich. It was amazing to me to watch how money became so much more important and how they talked about it much more after they had more than they could spend. They did not have money, money had them. So I saw why Jesus said what he did. He was telling us how it is for many who have money.

When I was a young woman God spoke to me as I was walking through a residential area from my college to the local store. I looked at all those surburban houses and he said, "you will never own one of these." It is true. I never will. Never enough bucks. Later when I complained to Him about this (all my friends own a house) He said, "Paul lived in his own rented quarters" and you know, it comforted me. I knew it was His will that it is so. What more could I want than to be where He wants me even if it means having less than those who pursue the goods of this world.

So let us seek first the Kingdom of God and all that we need (not long for) will be ours. God has individual plans for us and we should focus on what we have and not be distracted by what we do not have. He is preparing a better place for us. See you there!!
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Blog Entries

Psalm 73:
    12Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.
    13Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency.
    14For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.
    15If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children.
    16When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;

17Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.

18Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction.
    19How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.

23Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.

28But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.

These verses were shared with me just earlier tonight.
    Passing them along, thank you!

PS as for the numbers, you can either just type them in, or cut and paste from bible-gateway.com

BTW, Welcome to the forum Sirgilbert357. Nice to have you here.
    Last edited by JonMarie; 10-04-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Ah, OK...I'll just cut and paste then.

Thanks for the welcome, JonMarie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    I am been accused of not being encouraging to my brethren so I am repenting of my evil ways and proposing a discussion on this verse.

What does it mean to delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart?

Good Day Brethren

How are my wonderful Lady? Hope all is well in your part of the world. Very nice topic by the way. I have a few thoughts to add if I may.

Let me begin by assuring that you are not discouraging anyone who has not placed themselves in that situation as a result of their method of praise and worship. You have a beautiful biblical perspective interpreted and expressed by the kindness in your heart. Your views are fortified by the True Word (Scripture) and is greatly appreciated by others like myself.
    I have mentioned on several occasions how you inspire me and I am not alone. Neither are YOU.

This thread is appropriate for my current frame of thought. I am presently venturing thru the OT (on my way to Revelations) and just covered these versus. Over all I see this message from several angles. I'll explain a couple of em

First of all (in my humble opinion) if a person is truly following Our beliefs (according to HIS WILL) the desires of our hearts should not be of an Earthly Nature. We shouldn't use materialism as motivation and definitely not build our integrity around it for it almost certainly leads to covetedness, competition, resentment, restlessness and stress. All these are results from not being CONTENT with what we have been given. Those who are not content have little (if any) appreciation for what they do have. They are always seeking "Bigger and Better".

It is very hard to express gratitude to the Lord when we feel our situations are not adequate or compatible to those we vision as being successful. So a competitive materialistic lifestyle is not an option for a follower of Christ. *
    Once one has truly been re-born and baptized by the Spirit our whole outlook on life should change. Earthly desires of wealth and power cease to be appealing. The grasp this world has on those who worship The Flesh is powerless against those who CHOOSE to worship and serve according to HIS WILL. Humility and Content if placed in our hearts by the Father can be very liberating.

So I believe our heart's desires will be met if we live according to HIS expectations. We will find pleasures in simplicity. A cool breeze on a hot day, a hot meal on a cold evening, the morning Sun may bring us joy for WE are blessed with the gift of life! We are blessed with the ability to bless someone else. If we find joy in showing the less fortunate (for there are always less fortunate than we) compassion and kindness we can give ourselves pleasure at will. If we delight in helping those in need I have faith our Father will provide the means. Which leads me to my last thought.

I understand the negative impact wealth may have on a Follower of Christ but does it have to be so? Can't we accept financial blessings and use them to spread the Lord's blessings among the less fortunate? *A means for the Lord to bless HIS children thru what HE has provided to one who wishes to deliver HIS compassion.

Our Father does not work miracles as before. He will not shower the hungry with Mana. He can however use US (his servants) to do that for him or provide any Earthly need to one of HIS children in need.

Only Our Father knows why some (like my family) struggle financially while others flourish. I am certain one of the reasons lies in our individual heart. Can we honestly say we won't fall into the snare of money? Will we stay humble and meek? Will we use it to benefit the Kingdom or our own carnal desires? Many other question apply.

I leave you with Our Lord's expectations

Deut 24 17-22

*17Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger, nor of the fatherless; nor take a widow's raiment to pledge:

*18But thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in Egypt, and the LORD thy God redeemed thee thence: therefore I command thee to do this thing.

*19When thou cuttest down thine harvest in thy field, and hast forgot a sheaf in the field, thou shalt not go again to fetch it: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow: that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hands.

*20When thou beatest thine olive tree, thou shalt not go over the boughs again: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow.

*21When thou gatherest the grapes of thy vineyard, thou shalt not glean it afterward: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow.

*22And thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in the land of Egypt: therefore I command thee to do this thing.

2 Cor 9 6-15

*6The point is this:*whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully[d]*will also reap bountifully.*7Each one must give as he has decided in his heart,*not reluctantly or under compulsion, for*God loves a cheerful giver.*8And*God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency[e]*in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.*9As it is written,

****"He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor;
    ***his righteousness endures forever."

*10He who supplies*seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and*increase the harvest of your righteousness.*11*You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which*through us will produce thanksgiving to God.*12For the ministry of this service is not only supplying*the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God.*13By their approval of this service,they[f]*will glorify God because of your submission flowing from your*confession of the gospel of Christ, and the generosity of your contribution for them and for all others,*14while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God upon you.*15*Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!

Amen

Nice thread Sister. Always my pleasure

Nilo
    Three things are too wonderful for me;
    four I do not understand:

Prov 30:18

Blog Entries

My very dear Nilo,

Your post so deeply spoke to me, it was as if God was writing. I need to tell Shroom about this as I promised to tell him next time a post was so inspired that the Holy Spirit spoke right to me. (I am not refering to the personal compliments, btw.)

You know, there is a line in a book by CS Lewis where he said that some of God's favourites, as it were, are put through the more difficult challenges in life. I think we can safely say that none of those close to Him have an easy life. Even if they are rich, as Abraham was, he was challenged as regards to a son. So there is no walking with God and not facing difficulties in this life.

"These things I have spoken unto you that in me you might have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. So be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world."

Nilo, one day we will stand before Him. It is my deep desire that He say to us, "well done" because a "well done" from God Almighty is worth more than all the admiration of all the men and angels who ever praised a man put together. Don't you find that the failures to live up to what He wants become clear at times and yet we need not be discouraged. I find God is easy to please but hard to satisfy. So let us press on to please Him today as long as we find it is today in hopes of hearing "well done, good and faithful servant." In that day it will all be worthwhile.

I love you Nilo! You have riches that are not stored in a bank.
    ------------------------
    "He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justly..and to love mercy...and to walk humbly with your God."

Blog Entries

James 2:5
    5Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

Nice thread Dottie, so loving, and lovely.

Blog Entries

It is also interesting that we are told to delight ourselves, that is, we have control over what we choose to delight us. One might tend to think one is subject to what one happens to delight in but this is obviously not so. We are not subject to DNA or our environment alone. We are king of what we CHOOSE to delight us. It is, of course, a responsibility as we will be judged for that which we chose to delight us but at the same time it is quite freeing.
    ------------------------

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast