Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the prince mentioned in Ezekiel?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 3,180 Posts

Default Who is the prince mentioned in Ezekiel?

Seventeen times in chpters 44-48 [of Ezekiel] there is mention of a Prince (nasi). Jewish commentators regarded this prince as the Messiah. Most Christian commentators have rejected this view for three reasons. The prince (1) offers a sin offering for himself (45:22), (2) has sons (46:15), and (3) is distinct from the priests. While these objections are not without weight, alternative views as to the identity of the Prince are not convincing.
    (Dr. James Smith, What The Bible Teaches About The Promised Messiah, p. 372)

Is the prince mentioned in Ezekiel the Messiah? If not, who is this person?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

gills commentary says its the Christ

Christ himself is this Prince, and who has prepared himself a sacrifice, even for himself, his church, which is mystically himself; and to make atonement for all those sins which he took upon himself by imputation, and made his own; even for all his chosen people, and for all their sins: of his preparing this sacrifice, both to be offered up, and to be held forth in the ministry of the word; see Gill on Ezekiel 45:17, and who is very fitly represented by a bullock for his labouriousness and strength, in bearing the sins of his people, when he became an offering for them.

Looking at this at first glance i would say it wasnt the Christ,

if i look at hebrews 9:12

Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption [for us].

Christ entered by His own blood and not the blood of animals, so to me that would automatically declare this was not the prince.

the bible in ezekiel 46 talks about the prince making daily sacrifices and on the sabbath as well.

4 The burnt offering the prince brings to the LORD on the Sabbath day is to be six male lambs and a ram, all without defect. 5 The grain offering given with the ram is to be an ephah,[a] and the grain offering with the lambs is to be as much as he pleases, along with a hin[b] of olive oil for each ephah. 6 On the day of the New Moon he is to offer a young bull, six lambs and a ram, all without defect. 7 He is to provide as a grain offering one ephah with the bull, one ephah with the ram, and with the lambs as much as he wants to give, along with a hin of oil for each ephah. 8 When the prince enters, he is to go in through the portico of the gateway, and he is to come out the same way.

so im not sure who the prince is, i would say its a man, but i cant say it is the christ, as i see Jesus not doing none of this stuff in the new testament.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acerrak View Post
    so im not sure who the prince is, i would say its a man, but i cant say it is the christ, as i see Jesus not doing none of this stuff in the new testament.
    Do you think Ezekiel's vision concerned the millennium following the end of the present age? Do you think there will be animal sacrifices offered in the Temple during the Messiah's millennial reign on the earth?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mattathias View Post
    Do you think Ezekiel's vision concerned the millennium following the end of the present age? Do you think there will be animal sacrifices offered in the Temple during the Messiah's millennial reign on the earth?
    i actually posted something to do with the mellinium reign, but i didnt post that part cause i didnt want to the discussion to become a possible preterism debate,
    but initially i looked at the 1000 year reign of christ as a possible fullfillment of this and the ressurected saints being the kids.

but i couldnt see the ressurected saints as being the kids either cause they need no more sacrifice, so im not sure. the sacrifice is what is getting to me, cause Christ was the end of animal sacrifices so why would God start it back up again. so im starting to view this as a possible figurative picture picturing something of the mellinium reign as to what he would percieve from his stand point of understanding

Thanks

...Christ was the end of animal sacrifices so why would God start it back up again.
    I don't know. Perhaps as a commemoration of Messiah's sacrifice. Whatever the reason, I believe that's what's going to happen.

Is Jesus the prince? Again, I don't know but I suspect that he is.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't know. Perhaps as a commemoration of Messiah's sacrifice. Whatever the reason, I believe that's what's going to happen.

Is Jesus the prince? Again, I don't know but I suspect that he is.
    some jews believe it is their messiah. some say its the High priest role, Some say its christ

i found this verse in chapter 34,
    "I the Lord will be their God, and my servant David will be Prince among them. I the Lord have spoken." (Ez. 34:24)

I mean its very possible this could be Christ, but then we would have to look at things metaphorically speaking on many occasions,

Thanks

Seventeen times in chpters 44-48 [of Ezekiel] there is mention of a Prince (nasi). Jewish commentators regarded this prince as the Messiah. Most Christian commentators have rejected this view for three reasons. The prince (1) offers a sin offering for himself (45:22), (2) has sons (46:15), and (3) is distinct from the priests. While these objections are not without weight, alternative views as to the identity of the Prince are not convincing.

The Temple in Ezekiel was the heavenly Temple which came down on a mountain outside Jerusalem in order to assure the people through Ezekiel that God was still with them, but outside the failed city, even though their Temple had been destroyed.

The idea was similar to the heavenly visitants seen by Elisha, and eventually by his servant.(2 Kings 6.17).

Among other things it assured them that once again there would be a Prince of Judah, as there would be when Zerubbabel came.

Thus the prince represented the princes of Judah yet to come (in Ezekiel's early days), all of whom pointed forward to the Messiah Who would be its final fulfilment representing us in the heaveny Temple. All prior to Him had to continually offer sacrifices on their own behalf.He, of course offered His sacrifice of Himself once for all.
    Last edited by valiant; 09-15-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks

The Temple in Ezekiel was the heavenly Temple which came down on a mountain outside Jerusalem in order to assure the people through Ezekiel that God was still with them, but outside the failed city, even though their Temple had been destroyed.

The idea was similar to the heavenly visitants seen by Elisha, and eventually by his servant.(2 Kings 6.17).

Among other things it assured them that once again their would be a Prince of Judah, as there was when Zerubbabel came.

Thus the prince represented the princes of Judah yet to come (in Ezekiel's early days) pointing forward to the Messiah Who would be its final fulfilment representing us in the heaveny Temple. All prior to Him had to offer sacrifices on their own behalf.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by valiant View Post

Among other things it assured them that once again their would be a Prince of Judah, as there was when Zerubbabel came.

Thus the prince represented the princes of Judah yet to come (in Ezekiel's early days) pointing forward to the Messiah Who would be its final fulfilment representing us in the heaveny Temple. All prior to Him had to offer sacrifices on their own behalf.
    so you believe the prince could possibly the high priess then? who are these princes? cause even after they came back and rebuilt the temple from captivity they never really had a leader except for the high priest, and thise ofcourse usualy not of judah.

agrre that jesus ended the sacrifices

Thanks

so you believe the prince could possibly the high priess then? who are these princes? cause even after they came back and rebuilt the temple from captivity they never really had a leader except for the high priest, and thise ofcourse usualy not of judah.

agrre that jesus ended the sacrifices
    Well the first prince was Sheshbazzar (Ezra 1.11). The second was Zerubbabel (Ezra 3.2). After that we do not know who came before the Maccabees. But we do know that a record was kept of the Davidides (Matt 1.13-18). Then there were the Maccabees themselves.

The High Priests were from Judah, commencing with Joshua the High Priest and then his descendants (Neh 12.10-11).

Best wishes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast