Thread: What is meaning of hebrew word 'rapha' ?

Thanks

Cool What is meaning of hebrew word 'rapha' ?

Hi to all you bible scholars out there,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the meaning of the hebrew word 'rapha' (strongs number H7495) and whether it refers to physical or spiritual healing? If you believe it can refer to spiritual healing can you point me to any verses (other than the one is Isaiah 53:5) to substantiate its use in referring to spiritual healing.

Thanks you.

Blessings to all

Glenn_NZ

Thanks

Hi Glenn----------------

2 chronicles 30 talks or healing through the passover I believe this is speaking of a spiritual renewal

2Ch 30:20 And the LORD hearkened to Hezekiah, and healed the people.

Psa 41:4 I said, LORD, be merciful unto me: heal my soul; for I have sinned against thee. ---- I believe this one could go either way but I see a spiritual implication

Psa 147:3 He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. --- emotional spiritual healing

much love -----------------------knuckle

3. The Following User Says Thank You to knuckle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

רָפָא

In Psalms 103:3 (it speaks of Physical healing)

who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,

Ezekiel 30:21 (healing from distress)

Son of man, I have broken the arm of Pharaoh king of Egypt. It has not been bound up for healing or put in a splint so as to become strong enough to hold a sword.

It also has been used to means moral healing, to cure the mind or to pardon the soul,

B ubba

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubba For This Useful Post:

Fundancer (05-20-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_NZ View Post
    Hi to all you bible scholars out there,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the meaning of the hebrew word 'rapha' (strongs number H7495) and whether it refers to physical or spiritual healing? If you believe it can refer to spiritual healing can you point me to any verses (other than the one is Isaiah 53:5) to substantiate its use in referring to spiritual healing. Thanks you. Blessings to all
    Glenn_NZ
    to heal, cure
    Zec 11:16 For, lo, I will raise up a shepherd in the land, which shall not visit those that be cut off, neither shall seek the young one, nor heal that that is broken, nor feed that that standeth still: but he shall eat the flesh of the fat, and tear their claws in pieces.

Gen 20:17 So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare

Gen 50:2 And Joseph commanded his servants the healers [physicians] to embalm his father: and the healers [physicians] embalmed Israel.

Lev 14:3 And the priest shall go forth out of the camp; and the priest shall look, and, behold, if the plague of leprosy be healed in the leper;
    1Ch 25:5 all these were sons of Heman the king’s seer in the words of God, to exalt his power;
    Hozeh ("seer") also means "to see" or "to perceive," but is also used in reference to musicians. It is also used to describe a counselor or an advisor to a king. The Hebrew does not necessarily indicate that the person is a prophet, but rather an advisor—someone who has wisdom.
    It means "one who has insight." Hence, the essential meaning in Greek is "interpreter."