Ruminator

What is Isaiah 1:17 saying would please God?

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by TheWashedBrain View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Ruminator View Post
I completely understand why you would say that and it might be correct but then what are we to make of the story of the "good Samaritan"? Who is Jesus trying to say is one's neighbor?
I don't see how that follows your OP. Oh well, I guess you are allowed to derail your own thread (lol)

Just to clarify..

Do you remember when Jesus said:

Mat 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’

I guess the Jews "said" that in that they wanted to follow, as best they could, God's edict that they (the Jews) should be a people set aside. Understandable somewhat, no?

Something to consider.

Lev 19:18 You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

Seems pretty clear that "your neighbor" refers back to "the sons of your own people".

Again.. I believe the concept of your original question is the Jews as a separate people.. not taking into account "the world".

Again and again God dealt very harshly with those peoples that He had the Jews "persuade" to leave their lands to them.

re the issue of the good samaritan..

Luk 10:36 Which of these three, do you think, proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?”
Luk 10:37 He said, “The one who showed him mercy.” And Jesus said to him, “You go, and do likewise.”

Interesting that the original question was "who is my neighbor?"

The "lesson" seems to imply that the neighbor was NOT the man who fell among robbers.. but rather the Samaritan.

In essence, Jesus is saying that it is US who must be neighbors (doing the right thing at that) regardless of who it is that is in need.

So, a neighbor is NOT anyone and everyone around you necessarily.. but Christians should be neighbors of all.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments