Zathrus

Rev 17 and Rev 20

Rate this Entry
Rev 17 and Rev 20 were both recently brought up in the "No Man KNows the Day Nor the Hour" thread. I re-read Rev 17 a few days ago and saw a couple of things I hadn't seen earlier.
Here are the first several verses of Rev 17:
1And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great w.h.o.r.e that sitteth upon many waters:

2With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

3So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

4And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

5And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

6And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
Now first, I believe the great harlot that John sees in these verses is identified in the Bible as 1st century Jerusalem. It is called in Rev 11 "the city wherein our Lord was crucified", and Jesus Himself mourns for Jerusalem in the last verses of MAtthew 23, and says it is she who is held guilty of the blood all the righteous that had been shed. It surely cannot be another city or entity that John identifies as being drunk with the blood of the saints and the martyrs of Jesus in Rev 11:6. And surely the reason John marvels at her is becasue she is the beautiful city where the great temple is that he'd known since his youth.

Notice that John is told in verse 1 that she is the harlot who sits on many waters. Then he sees her sitting on this scarlet beast.

Verse 7 continues:
7And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.
It sure seems like the explanation of the mystery is just as much a mystery to us today as the mystery itself!

The angel continues his explanation in verse 8:
8The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
Here I began to see that this very closely parallels Rev 20. In that chapter, the devil is taken, locked in the bottomless pit, then he ascends out of it again, and after what Rev 20 describes as a "little season", goes into perdition.

After verse 8, Rev 17 continues to parallel Rev 20. I think the same events are being described, just in a different way. But I'm out of time for now. I'll put another post up when I can to get into that. Also if this is of interest, read my thread "REvelation 20: The Most Difficult Chapter in the Bible" a few pages down in this forum.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments