Zathrus

The Identity of the 144,000

Rate this Entry
I thought I'd share some exciting thoughts on the 144,000 spoken of in Revelation. This is the description of the 144,000 in Rev 7:

"14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.
16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat.
17 For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes."

Compare that with this description in Rev 22, commonly accepted as being of we believers in our eternal state:

"3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:
4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.
5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever."

And this passage from Rev 21:

"3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

Note Rev 22:4 which I quoted above.
4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.
As I mentioned, this is generally understood to be talking about us in our eternal glorified state.

In Rev 14, it says this about the 144,000:
1And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.
Hopefully my color coding helped point out that wherever the 144,000 are described, their description matches that of us, the believers in Christ. What the author is showing his 1st century readers is that the church is the true heavenly Israel! It is those who are of faith, bot Jew and Gentile who are the "remnant of Israel" who were faithful to the Lord, without sin and without deception because they believe in Jesus as Messiah. They are the true Israel, and the 144,000.

Comments